Who Needs High ISO?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Grant, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Electrical Storm Over Prince's Inlet

A huge electrical storm went through here early in the morning. I am told it was massive stretching form New York to Newfoundland. It started with mild rumbling then followed a massive amount of fork lightning, and ended up with tons of sheet lightning. The Nova Scotia power grid was hit with over 200 strikes and finally caved in at 1:55 am. This picture was taken just before the power went out.

This is a 60 second exposure at F/5.0 ISO 100. I took a few shots before i got two bolts in the same image.

Prince's Inlet at 2:00 a.m.

About 10 minutes later we were totally in darkness, save for a tree in our back property that twinkles form solar cells charging. At this time the fork lightening had given way to sheet lightening and this is how well our property was illuminated.

This is a 60 second exposure at F/1.7 ISO 100.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Excellent work, Grant. Very dramatic. Down here in New Jersey... the sky had that sickening yellow-gray cast all day and much thunder was heard. But the heavy thunderstorms were scattered and brief. I feel so badly for those people in Massachusetts who weren't so lucky. Tornado watches and severe thunderstorm warnings were up all the way from Washington, DC to Newfoundland.

On a brighter note... I've been to Lunenburg and absolutely love the place. I want to retire to Nova Scotia. In fact, I'd move there now if I could land gainful employment. Good thing I have a friend in Halifax.
  3. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Are you serious - the second shot is lit by sheet lightening? Wow!

The first shot is impressive, but also a bit intimidating. Those bolts look so powerful...

Nice photography sir.
  4. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    "Ay. Lee. Mee. Nate. Ay. Lee. Mee. Nate."

:eek: Daleks again?
  5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Shocking! I think I will stick with my on-camera flash.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Grant, dramatic images!

I'm certainly glad your property was illuminated, not eliminated....:smile:
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Great lightning photos! Our house seems completely surrounded by nearby lightning for a good 20-30 minutes. The kids were scared, and their school was canceled due to power outage. Thankfully nothing worse happened, although there was some damage and injury further west in our state.
  8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    those are so eliminating photos ;)
  9. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

illuminated/eliminate! Poste on two sites on one i got it right on this one i got it wrong ... go figure. All i can say in my defence is D'OH
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Dang Grant! Most impressive ... Alan had me thinking about moving ... I was convinced that the North-East was the perfect paradise ... but sheet lighting in the backyard ... I think I'll stick with earthquakes.

11. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Gary, I have been told that there will always be people that love the west coast in spit of its faults.
  12. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Great pics Grant!!!

Really awesome how the sheet lightning lit up your property...

(Thanks for doing your part in keeping Gary west of the Rockies)
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    LOL ... yes and those faults are considerable.