1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Who makes the best Pentax K adapter for an Oly?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by slackercruster, Jul 24, 2012.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Have an EPM-1

Never knew so many lenses can be used on the m43. The photo thread of adapted lenses is fantastic!!

Hope to adapt some of mine.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I just got a cheap, generic adapter on eBay. Can't remember which one, works just fine.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The "best" adapters are made by Novoflex and Voigtlander, but these are going to cost in the $180-300 range. You can get "good enough" adapters for $20 or less on eBay.

Which you choose really depends on how much you intend to use it and what your tolerance for less than precise craftsmanship is. If I had some really valuable lenses I might consider buying one of the more expensive adapters, but my tastes in lenses run more toward the yard sale special.

4. slackercruster

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    I got some very $$ Pentax and Zeiss glass. Will look for a Voigt.

Thanks

5. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    If I had really good Pentax and Zeiss lenses, I'd go Novoflex rather than Voigtlander. Beautiful engineering. Worth every penny if you have it.

6. slackercruster

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    OK, will check them out. Never heard about them.

Voigt uusually is pretty high grade though. Got some of their PK glass.

7. slackercruster

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Voigt has poor reviews at BH. The Novo sounds great...but the $$ is getting up there. Makes me wonder if I should just stick with the native 43 glass?

I don't need any dslr WA glass anyway. Got more than enough of the 43 native WA. I was thinking maybe adapt some 85 zeiss or Sigma APO or 300* Pentax something like that.

But I have lots of other cams that run that glass so wonder if the $300 cost is kinda wasted?

What do you guys think?

Do you guys find your dslr glass worthwhile to adapt if the cost is $300? Or do you only like it if you go with the cheapy adapters?

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If you've got other ways to shoot with those lenses, then maybe not.

I personally find shooting with the adapted lenses a lot of fun, but focusing can be difficult/slow in some conditions without an EVF (although I get by without an EVF even with the low-resolution LCD of my E-PL1).

I know that some members have switched to the NEX system with its "focus peaking" and found that made focusing legacy lenses a lot easier.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HGPF375-2rA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe you could consider trying a cheapie adapter to give you a feel of how the E-PM1 works with your lenses. If you find you like it, then order the Novoflex; if not, then you're only out $15-20. Of course, I guess you could do the same thing by ordering the Novoflex and returning it if you find the functionality of the lens-camera combo doesn't make it worth the investment to you.

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    As a fellow Pentax user, don't bother with the expensive adapters - they offer nothing more than a name.

I've got 4 of them myself, a regular one, one that controls aperture for DA/* lenses, a tilt adapter and even one with a mini tripod collar - they all do a fine job of adapting.

10. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I agree with this statement. The old saying "you get what you pay for" applies with adapters. The cheap adapters work fine but they don't "always" have the best fit/tolerance and sometimes they just break. I've used a variety of lens adapters for several different camera systems and lens mounts. Out of probably 20 different adapters (all sold under different brand names) I've bought (all cheap ebay adapters) I've had two adapters with problems (one just didn't fit right and the other broke ... the front bayonet ring just popped out).

Trying to figure out the "best" cheap adapter is like trying to figure out what is the "best" meat from a processing plant with health code violations. When something is made as cheaply as possible there is going to be a greater potential for problems regardless of the brand in question. The problem is not the brand name ... the problem is the cheap manufacturing process.

Odds are you will be just fine with a cheap adapter ... just understand that the "best" adapter is probably one of the expensive models. The question is, how much value do you place on the metal tube connecting a lens to you camera?

11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Steve Gandy at Cameraquest sells Voigtlander and RayQual adapters, mostly from $180-200. I've never heard anything bad about them except for the price. The Novoflex adapters are more expensive, but I don't know if they're any better.

The cheap ones tend to be built to lower tolerances and almost always focus past infinity. this makes zone focusing using the scale on the lens inaccurate.

I use cheap ones myself.

Fred

12. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    To sum up, the best PK adapters cost $100 or more, but I use an $18 model. It's $100-300 on a passive metal tube or put that money toward a micro 4/3 lens with CVD coatings and micro motors to set aperture and focus. My money goes toward the lenses. (It really goes toward golf and car repairs, but for the purposes of this forum, let's say it goes toward camera gear.)

Off topic, but I think the M42 to K mount gadget made by Pentax was a really fiddly piece of metal. Mine was always getting stuck in the camera body.

Back on topic, a PK adapter does have one moving part, which is the lens release. If that broke, then you might have some issues getting the lens off. And it could be nice to have it register at infinity so that the DOF scale is useable. Some of the adapters can be D-I-Y shimmed for infinity focus. Still, it's your camera, lens, and money.