1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Who makes Panasonic's GM1 sensor?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SteveNunez, Feb 21, 2015.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    It's widely known that Olympus uses Sony's sensors in their cameras (or at least in some of them)........seeing as to how nearly identical my GM1 and E-M10 are- who makes the GM1's sensor? If Sony then the nearly identical image quality makes sense but if Panasonic, it's startling to see how similar in performance the 2 different cameras are (and kudos to Pan for being able to compete so equally with Sony).......very curious as to the maker of the GM1 sensor.
    Thanks in advance to any replies- curious minds want to know.
    Cheers~~~~~

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Panasonic themself makes the sensors in all the currently sold Panasonic M4/3 cameras, and also the sensor in the Olympus E-M1.

3. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Impressive as many consider Sony as the top manufacturer in current sensor technology......Panasonic is doing real well with the GM1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    Panasonic does.

I gotta say, it's pretty impressive considering the sensor size. I'm interested however to see what the next Panasonic sensor will be, considering how good Sony's 1" sensor is at 20mp.

This was at ISO 1600 on the GX7.

Not bad for ISO 1600 by William Solis, on Flickr

5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I too am amazed at how clean the higher ISO shots are on the tiny yet capable GM1 camera.