1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Who makes Lumix lenses?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by lovemyoly, Oct 12, 2012.

1. lovemyoly

lovemyoly Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    Does Pasnasonic make Lumnix lenses or do they use another maker?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They're made by Panasonic employees in Panasonic factories. Same as Nikon or Canon ones are made by those respective companies.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It is worth noting that lenses are occasionally sourced elsewhere. A handful of Sony lenses are of Tamron origins.

• Like Like x 1
  4. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Sony makes all lenses and sensors in the world, except for the lenses and sensors made by someone else.

• Like Like x 3
  5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Asians.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It should also be noted that micro four-thirds lenses branded as Leica are Leica designs but made by Panasonic employees in Panasonic factories with Leica quality control and supervision.

7. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

If only that were true! They are Panasonic designs that have gained approval to carry the Leica brand name in return for payment of a substantial royalty.

They don't even begin to compare in optical and build quality to Leica-designed and -manufactured lenses for Leica M rangefinder cameras. They are simply not in the same class.

• Like Like x 1
  8. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Some truths in both of these remarks.

The lens is designed by Panasonic according to Leica specifications. Leica also asks for strict QA standards for Panasonic to use the Leica brand. The manufacturing process of these lenses are in fact overseen by Leica technicians.

Panasonic G3 Review
    Check bottom of the page for details of the PL 25.

9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Darn, I was thinking Keebler Elves! :rofl:

11. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Is there any available testing data that confirms that Panasonic lenses are "simply not in the same class" as Leica M lenses? It's hard to compare across formats and platforms, but the limited data I've seen suggests that Leica lenses are generally quite good, sometimes best-in-class (sometimes not), but that they are not "super lenses" on any measurable basis, and very much "in the same class" as excellent lenses from other manufacturers.

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Uh Oh, "stuff" just got real!

How dare thee blaspheme all holy Leica-ness!

Ibtl

13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I don't think there's any doubt among people who have used Leica-branded micro four-thirds lenses that they are quite good - even excellent. Whether they are in the same class as Leica's M lenses, I can't say. Frankly, it doesn't even matter to me because I am both unable and unwilling to pay that kind of money for glass.

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I was under the impression that Leica-branded lenses for Panasonic's point-and-shoot cameras were Panasonic designs manufactured the way you describe. But you may be right about the micro four-thirds designs.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm not at all impressed with Leica equipment and their exuberant prices. I'll take Japanese craftsmanship any day. Just like this comparison!

Katana vs Longsword:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'm just a little confused by the way that Panasonic have splashed the Leica brand name across all manner of compact camera lenses, yet have used it only twice in their flagship system camera range.

17. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    A little help on the statement...

Would you please help me out with the data supporting the assertion about "They are simply not in the same class."

I haven't seen the side by side testing samples and reviews you are referring to.
    Dan

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And on the reciprocal, we've seen nothing that supports them both being in the same class....

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    "Real" Leica shots below

I can see the difference.....

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I want Japanese Katana and European steel armour.