1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

who makes a 37mm gradient / graduated nd filter?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by squeegee, Sep 23, 2011.

1. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Has anyone found any reputable manufacturer and store the sells a 37mm graduated ND filter?

I should have added this to the top 100 hates m43 thread.. but isn't buying filters for the 37mm threads the biggest pain in the mooning-smiley.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  3. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Any disadvantages to stepping up? Say 37 to 46mm?
    An Adorama ring is only a few bucks.

I kinda want to standardize all my lens caps/ hoods filters but I have no experience with the ND filters.

(Squeegee: don't mean to hijack your thread but figure this might help you out too.)

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I hate screw in grad ND filters. Why not use a Cokin a series holder and grads?

Gordon

5. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    yes I did, I don't think any of those are graduated filters

6. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    it's an option if I can't find one but it kind of defeats the purpose of a small lens if there's a huge filter stuck on it. I'd rather keep the whole setup "small" if possible.

If not possible... then I might consider my options.

7. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    once again, because of the size. Something I'll look into if I can't get what I want.

but... I want what I want :rolleyes:

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    B+W has always been my source for filter sizes that others don't make available, and their quality is supreme as well. I've never tried them for 36mm, but they do have 40.5mm rangefinder sized filters.

The problem with that is I have to order them in. So it's a lot easier for me to step up my 37mm thread to something more common like 42mm or 49mm. 42mm is a closer fit, but I have more stuff in 49mm (an OM Zuiko favorite size!), so I normally step up to that instead. The step up ring for 37mm I can get directly in stock, as with all the accessories I need in whatever size I step up to.

Plus, a step-up ring would then allow you to use a Cokin system for your grads, as well as find replacement parts like lens caps easily. ;)

9. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I just saw this on dpr. The 46 mm step up is no larger than the lens diameter. Only thing thing is your giving up about 3mm on the front end.

A few posts down: Got Oly 45mm lens today in US: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Just an option.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I looked forever and finally decided 49 was the smallest grad currently made. In retrospect, I should have gotten a 52 or a 58 to work with lenses I've subsequently bought (or thought about buying). I'd recommend buying at one of those sizes and stepping up.

11. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    yeah I just found the similar, after going through a bunch of shops online checking for sizes it seems like the smallest from name brand manufacturers is 49mm. There's some dodgy no-name filters on ebay but I'm a little concerned about those.

Now I'm just mulling over if that's something I want to do or not.

12. JonathanS

JonathanS Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2010
    Just hold a Cokin in front of your lens. Easy to do and gives you more variables.

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I just went the 58mm route and got step up rings for everything.