1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Who is using Photoshop with Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by YantaYo, Feb 9, 2014.

1. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    I am likely migrating from Aperture to Lightroom. Trying out the Adobe CC Photography package trial which includes Lightroom and Photoshop. Just curious how many people use the photoshop and lightroom combination? Photoshop looks to have a step learning curve so I might not be able to fully try it out within the 30 days. Holding off on buying training books till I go this route. Any thoughts?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I do 99% of my PP with Lightroom. I occasionally use Photoshop, but it's rare. Unless you're into lots of layers work and overlaying images, I think LR alone will likely be enough. You can always try to pick up a copy of Photoshop Elements off eBay or something. It's cheap and does a chunk of the full-fat features of Photoshop.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I also do virtually everything in LR as well. I only use photoshop (when working with photos) very rarely, as the occasional fix.

4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I would echo the figure 99% Lightroom with occasional PSE. I would point out they integrate fairly well.

5. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Lightroom 5.3 is yer man for a simple 10 step workflow.

Of course, if one wanted to get more involved then the process can be complicated to one's hearts content.

I haven't tried interfacing with PS - that programme is way above my pay grade...

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'd probably ise Photoshop more than many and I still use it 5% of the time. Mostly for anythingbthat needs layers (stitching, hdr, replacing skys) or selective colur or sharpeing work.

The CC deal for a tenner is good value, even if you don't use PS a lot as you get the latest version of LR each year as well. I do the same thing with the whole suite. I'm using LR and PS daily and the rest of the suite occasionally. Still worth having.

Gordon

7. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I use Photoshop an awful lot, I will do all final prints through it, I construct a lot of my stuff through it. I do montages and it is the ideal thing, if I just did straight photographs I would learn how to get a topnotch print from Lightroom and not bother with getting a newer version of PS, lightroom can make a very good image and I have been told the print engine is good. I have been using Photoshop for 15+ years so it is kind of instinctive now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I use photoshop from lightroom for panorama stitching and major touch ups. Very rare though. I do hope to learn more about photoshop for portraits.

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lightroom's framework lends itself to traditional photography better - it's tools and terminology tend to be photographic in nature. I started out using Photoshop and still use it exclusively - I'm so familiar with it now that I find it easier to use masks and adjustment layers to get what I want than to fiddle with numerous sliders. The learning curve is steep, however, and you really need to know what it is you're trying to do with the image.

10. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Let's see, 30 days to get a basic understanding of lightroom and photoshop. Going to be tough and maybe not worth the learning curve for just 1% to 5% edits in PS. If I do not use photoshop after the 30 days I could always cancel in a year if I go with the CC. I'll see what the difference are between PSE and PS. Maybe that is the way to go.

Could the lens flare be removed in this photograph either in PSE or PS? Not too successful in removing it in Aperture.

lens_flare_1_.

11. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Already better results in photoshop than aperture. Here is what I came up with stumbling around. Nice. Picture might be salvageable.

lens_flare-Edit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Possibly doable in this case, if you're willing to live with cloned detail from elsewhere in the image (there's not much real detail left under that bright flare). I'll give it ago when I get home.

Edit: I see there is no need - you've done a pretty good job yourself!

13. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    I use both. Lightroom still has a lot of stuff that it simply cant do. Or things that are way easier in photoshop. Photoshop is indeed a steeeep curve, but well worth it

14. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    hey, thats a good result there. i got to ask, was this from RAW or a jpeg?

15. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    It's a raw file. Here is the version processed in Lightroom after working with it in photoshop. Seems like the work flow should be post process in Lightroom first then Photoshop?

lens_flare-Edit1.

16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Everyone will have a different workflow, but I use Lightroom followed by Photoshop. All I want from LR is to develope the raw to a 16 bit tiff with correct white balance, some initial sharpening, and dealing with any chomatic aberration of color fringing. I want the tiff to retain full highlight detail and good shadow detail. So, basically, I develop a rather flat tiff, containing as much information as the file has, and then I do most of the real work in Photoshop. It's just how I like to work. Basically LR, to use analog terms that I have long familiarity with, is to develope the negative, and PHotoshop is to make the print.

They work well together. I'm subscribing to the CC too, although if they jack up the price in a year I'll go back to CS2. For me the two programs work well together,

17. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Yea, I am thinking the price will be jacked up after a year.

So the photo needs to be converted from lightroom to a tiff to work on in photoshop? I thought photoshop would just take the raw image with adjustments and convert it when opened in photoshop.

Any experience with perfect photo suite? That looks promising.

18. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I can call up PSE from within Lightroom - I assumed the full version did the same?

19. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Unless you are going to use Photoshop a lot there is really no reason 'not' to choose Elements. There is very few things you cant do in Elements that you can in Photoshop itself. Most Photoshop users dont like Elements because they have difficulty finding their way around.

The main limitations of Elements appear to me to be.

No inverted selection
    Limited content aware fill
    No channels
    Only 8 bit layers (not that that makes much difference)
    You cant record actions

• Like Like x 1
  20. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Every photo goes through Lightroom AND Photoshop (CS6). Maybe one day they have it all in one package but until then I can't stop using either of them. Basically all the adjustments (levels, WB, etc.) are done in LR and the fine-tuning (noise reduction, sharpening, resizing etc.) is done in PS.

EDIT: I use some pre-recorded actions and 3rd party plugins in PS and those can't be used in LR.

• Like Like x 1