Votes: 27 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Don't have a camera that does it?

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So last April I wanted a new body for birding (and lucked out when Pany issued the latest firm ware update) and convinced myself that I wanted a High Res Mode.

I've shot lots of birds but nothing but a few high res tests. It's not the tripod use (I have a very good tripod and us it for lots of videos) but I can't seem to get motivate to do some high res work. My computer handles it easily and the shots are gorgeous. But I have not done the landscapes or table top studio work I thought I'd do. Are you using High Res? If so what for?

Last edited:

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I would use it more if my camera (E-M1 II) handled motion better. Currently, it creates subtle artifacts for all but the most still scenes. The Panasonic implementation seems vastly better in that regard (since the last FW update).

Jon Li

Mu-43 Regular
01064149.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
My first trial with Hi Res mode

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
So last April I wanted a new body for birding (and luck out when Pany issued the latest firm ware update) and convinced myself that I wanted a High Res Mode.

I've shot lots of birds but nothing but a few high res tests. It's not the tripod use (I have a very good tripod and us it for lots of videos) but I can't seem to get motivate to do some high res work. My computer handles it easily and the shots are gorgeous. But I have not done the landscapes or table top studio work I thought I'd do. Are you using High Res? If so what for?
Sounds familiar. I had myself convinced I needed High Res. I have yet to do more than piddle with it. I really want to make an effort to shoot landscapes this year, so maybe.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
T
he couple of images I took with both forms of high res on the G9 with new upgrade software were significantly sharper than the standard raw files. So I think that at least on the G9 (especially type 2) it is a useful, I can not get motivated to use it.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
...I can not get motivated...
You're out west right? I can't get motivated to use anything. I bought my 100-400 just at Christmas, a Samyang 7.5 was delivered Tuesday, and a PL 15 was dropped off a few hours ago. The best I've been able to muster is a test shot of a muddy nasty farm field to compare the 7.5 FL to a 12.

It's been a very crappy and unattractive winter. No sun for almost 2 weeks now. They're saying sun and mid-40's this Sunday, I'm going to go for a drive in the country and see what I can see.

edergira

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Filip
Although hi-res shot was one of the features that initially drew me to the Oly E-M5 II, I quickly learned that very few outdoor scenes are perfectly still even in good weather, leading to disturbing motion artifacts. So I find its usability for landscape very limited on that particular camera and keep forgetting it's there in situations where it might actually work.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
In the latest software upgrade Panasonic introduced something similar to the "remove ghosts" in the adobe stacking algorithm and it works pretty well from the posts I've seen. Actually I think it might be a good landscape option and if it every quits raining here Portland I'll try it.

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
I regularly switch between Hi Res shot and in camera focus stacking when shooting macros. I sometimes really like the High Res shot results. But I really don't use any medium where that much resolution is necessary.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
I think I have used it, making one picture.

Its on the list of things to explore come summer, though. Do I need it? No, been happy with the 3 to 20MPs I have had so far, but when its included in something I have paid for, why not give it a spin. I take it somewhat as a possibility to dab with its inherent technology somewhat similiar to shooting 6K stills. :)

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'll probably test it someday, but 20 Mpix seems plenty enough for me... as 16 Mpix has never been a limitation before (nor 10, to be honest).
I would have to be sure not having anything going wrong on the assembly. There has to be nothing moving within the frame.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I use it occasionally. The image below is of Mount Fitz Roy in Patagonia taken a couple of weeks ago.. I took both 20MB RAW shots and Hi Res. There is so much more detail in the Hi Res shot. For example, when I zoom to 100% on the Hi Res shot I can clearly make out 2 hikers and their trail on the distant glacier. In the 20MB shot they are barely visible and the only reason I know that they are hikers is that I can see them in the Hi Res shot. Hi Res certainly has a place and I think is great for some landscapes where you might want to print very large. If only I could get handheld hi res shots in a body the same size as my EM1.2 :whistling:

Fitz Roy Hi-Res-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You're out west right? I can't get motivated to use anything. I bought my 100-400 just at Christmas, a Samyang 7.5 was delivered Tuesday, and a PL 15 was dropped off a few hours ago. The best I've been able to muster is a test shot of a muddy nasty farm field to compare the 7.5 FL to a 12.

It's been a very crappy and unattractive winter. No sun for almost 2 weeks now. They're saying sun and mid-40's this Sunday, I'm going to go for a drive in the country and see what I can see.

Its been raining here in Oregon for the last 10 days. Today it rain and medium (25mph winds). 10 day forecast more rain and/or snow.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use it occasionally. The image below is of Mount Fitz Roy in Patagonia taken a couple of weeks ago.. I took both 20MB RAW shots and Hi Res. There is so much more detail in the Hi Res shot. For example, when I zoom to 100% on the Hi Res shot I can clearly make out 2 hikers and their trail on the distant glacier. In the 20MB shot they are barely visible and the only reason I know that they are hikers is that I can see them in the Hi Res shot. Hi Res certainly has a place and I think is great for some landscapes where you might want to print very large. If only I could get handheld hi res shots in a body the same size as my EM1.2 :whistling:

View attachment 799994

Nice shot! Maybe you're in luck as I've seen rumours that the em1mkIII will have it.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I have a G9 and have toyed with it just to see how effective it can be, and it seems to work well. However, I just haven’t come across the right scene to use it yet. In the event I ever go on a vacation to somewhere picturesque, I definitely plan to use it. That’s basically why I wanted a camera with that feature.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Don't think hand held high res is possible via Firmware update. Oly is still the only company that has actually pulled it off, although I hope that with the next generation of Cameras Panasonic can follow. Right now, it seems like it has the potential to be an awesome way to get more IQ out of the mu43 sensor, but it's just not ready.

Anyone here used the handheld version from the EM1X? Would be curious to know how well that works.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Don't think hand held high res is possible via Firmware update. Oly is still the only company that has actually pulled it off, although I hope that with the next generation of Cameras Panasonic can follow. Right now, it seems like it has the potential to be an awesome way to get more IQ out of the mu43 sensor, but it's just not ready.

Anyone here used the handheld version from the EM1X? Would be curious to know how well that works.

Yes only Oly has the handheld, but now Panasonic has the "remove ghosts" thing you can do in Photoshop call HighRes II. Got to love competition:)

Jcarrith

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm not sure I would ever print large enough to need that amount of resolution but I do a lot of semi-macro and macro work with wildflowers and I can imagine it being very useful for cropped images. One of the reasons I bought the G9.

Latest threads

Top Bottom