Who is thinking of buying a GX8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by GFFPhoto, Jul 16, 2015.

1. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    It looks like Panasonic took the GX series upmarket and made the GX8 a parallel flagship camera to the GH-4. New sensor, water and dust resistance, DFD, 4k, and all the other high end specs (and higher intro price). Also, some interesting things like "Starlight AF" which they say can focus at moonlight -4EV. I'm interested in seeing how effective the dual IS is. I was planning on holding off on a new body, but maybe around thanksgiving I'll pick one up.

I imagine most are interested... anybody planning on pulling the trigger and picking one up?

2. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    The GX8, G7 & GH4 are all on my want list, just waiting for Granny to do the honourable thing :whistling: so I can afford them :hide:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Looks nice except for one big issue - the flippy out screen. I shoot a lot with the camera at waist height with the screen horizontal. Doing this with a flippy-out screen means making the camera twice the width - clumsy and conspicuous!

4. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Was interested until they announced pricing - at this point I have a feeling that by the time this thing is cheap (sub $1000aud) there will be a more realistically priced, smaller Olympus alternative with similar kinds of specs. Not to be a dick, but $1700 or so is the kind of money I would spend on a much better camera than exists in m43.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    In 18-24 months time perhaps.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Price will be an issue. Pre-order prices in the UK are north of £1000 (so AUS$2000). That's just crazy. The A7ii is probably a shade under that.

7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah, sub 1k aud might be a long wait. You might have to wait for the GX9 to see that :(

8. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

1QQ0u22.

$1199us at the moment. They will certainly round up, I think to at least 17, maybe to more than that. But it depends I guess.

9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I misread and edited previous post. Its not an entry level priced camera, thats for sure.

10. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Oops sorry :D

But yeah - we typically avoid the insane UK tax kind of prices here, and typically run closer to a converted US RRP (basically that seems to be the constant goal of most retail outlets here - make it juuuust barely worth buying locally rather than paying a US store + US shipping + ~$100 to get a local warranty).

At a guess both Olympus and Panasonic are trying to move out of the low end / volume camera segment and push out more premium offerings with better margins - I mean, you just know in Olympus's case this won't work and they will get desperate, and there will be $100-300 cashback on a steeply discounted RRP 6-12 months from launch anyway. In Panasonic's case I'm not entirely sure it will work the same way at the same speed.

& edit - and the A7ii remark got me curious - ~1900aud body only without any cashback or sale operating seems to be the going rate from reputable stores. GX8 is a very tough sell anywhere near that.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  11. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    That is frequently how things work in Canada as well. The USD/CAD exchange rate is at $1.30 currently, so it's likely to be priced at $1,500-$1,600 here.

To answer the OP's question, I won't be running out to buy it for that price. For me, I don't think the improvements of the GX8 will be significant enough that I would pay $1,600 when I can get a nice used E-M1 for $800-900. Alternatively, I will consider waiting for the new E-M1 under the assumption that it will be priced somewhat comparably and offer some additional improvement over the GX8.

And given that I ration my purchases over time, I'm more likely to spring for the 100-400 or 300/f4 as those offer a more significant incremental benefit to me, giving me a capability I don't currently have. An upgraded body is less transformational. Maybe that's not a "fair" comparison, but it's the economic evaluation that I'm thinking over.

12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I wonder if Panasonic is pricing this based on the surprise huge demand they saw with the GH4 release? If they are, we might see some rapid price drops. The GH4 was a game changer and had no competition, but that is no longer true. On the other hand, specs wise, this is the best m43 to date.

13. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    A new sensor is a game changer in my book.

For me and all things considered $1200 is fair for this camera. The GH4 was $1600-1700 until a few months ago. From all I can tell the GX8 is as functional sans the A/V expansion.

The GX8 has a novel sensor, likely the best sensor this format has ever seen. And it is also only $100 over what Olympus was charging for a largely cosmetic upgrade to their E-M5.

Also, the E-M1 has been a steady $1200-1300 until weeks ago.

Considering what the E-M1 and GH4 were at launch, the GX8 appears to be fair if not underpriced.

Not sure what people are expecting the latest MFT flagship model to cost? I was hoping for $998. But if it was $998, I knew I'd jump on that preorder like its a steal. So, it's not a steal.

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Seeing the GX8 has made more sense out of the G7. The G series is now a very serious mid-range body with the GX and GH at the top. The GM and and GF are the small ones. It's a nice collection of bodies.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm dang envious of anyone picking this camera up. It's not in the budget at or anywhere near the body-only price that's been announced. But if it goes down a few hundred, it'll end up in my hand next year!

16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Gorgeous camera! I don't see me picking up another body for while though.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  17. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The specs sound really tempting, but I'm unsold on the size and weight. And if I'm honest, I'm not going to get much real world benefit out the 4K vid/photo for what I shoot. I don't have any complaints about the 16MP sensor in the GX7, either. I may actually get another GX7 (or GM5) instead and rock those for a really long time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. yoshi234

yoshi234 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2010
    West Hollywood
    I'm planning to rent one first before deciding to get one.

19. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    If I hadn't bought my E-M5 Mk.II three months ago, the GX8 would have been a serious contender. It's a great looking camera that has the features and specs to back up it's beauty.

If I were to nitpick, I would've preferred a tilt only screen as well as a flatter eyecup even if it meant losing the tilting feature. Aside from that it ticks all the right boxes for my needs/wants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    After one year for $600? Sure!