Who is getting Silver GX7??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by scho047, Aug 29, 2013.

1. scho047

scho047 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Hi there,

Just wanted to know how many of you are looking to get the Silver GX7!!!
    I personally think this is the better one between silver & black.....
    but just wanted to know what others all thought about this....
  2. Faceinthecrowd

Faceinthecrowd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
  3. scho047

scho047 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    cool... likewise! i cant wait... but i am rather surprised to have found out that majority of people i read about are wanting black version..... why?
  4. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'm going to hold out and see if they release the black one in the US, as I'd prefer to have the warranty... if they don't I'll probably pick one in Japan or Korea. I ended up with the silver GX1 and will admit that I've regretted getting it over the black ever so slightly (I found my black GF1 felt more discrete, and a bit more professional at the same time... pure feeling, but still). I will admit that the silver GX7 looks a lot sharper than the GX1 though... and would also match my Rollie 35 S.
  5. Faceinthecrowd

Faceinthecrowd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    yeah people avoid silver to stay more covert for street stuff. But I think the silver makes it look less "threatening" more casual user than pro.
  6. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Because black is more professional looking. Less reflective of sunlight. I bought my LX3 when it was first released. Black bodies were in major high demand and on back order every where. The MSRP of the LX3 was $399. I bought my silver LX3 for $349.00 since they were in stock everywhere. And a lot of people who had to have black actually paid anywhere from 459.00 to 499.00 + to get a black one.

You can till find these old threads at DPReview. I actually like the silver/black bodies better. Although the IQ of the black bodies is better. :wink:
  7. scho047

scho047 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    i agree with faceinthecrowd..... it is less obtrusive... and has nicer everyday feel rather than being this more serious camera... but that is just my opinion only tho....
    i was thinking of getting the black to fit in with the crowd so to speak... but than again i think the silver version panasonic has made just looks so much nicer.... hahaha
    am i wrong? :p
  8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't care a lot about the color, in truth. I think the silver looks a little more "classic", but the black is less noticeable if you're trying to shoot discreetly. The real reason I want black is because all my current bodies are black, and my wife will be less likely to notice it's a new camera if I get the black one. :)

But I haven't actually decided to buy either. I'll wait to see reviews and user reports, and decide if it's really going to do anything to improve my photography if added to my GH3 and G3. Making better photographs should be the point of any new gear, right?

The history of black vs. silver is kind of interesting. Up until the mid '70s, most cameras, pro or otherwise, had silver metal surfaces and black leather. The metal portions were silver because the metal was that color, not because they were painted. Then Nikon and Canon started painting their "pro" bodies black, supposedly because it was less noticeable when trying to shoot unnoticed. But let's be serious, there was little that was discreet about a Nikon F series body with a pro lens mounted. But, of course, black became associated with "professional", so all the amateurs wanted black bodies.

When cameras started being molded out of plastic, instead of metal, black became cheaper to manufacture, too. I'm kind of surprised Nikon and Canon haven't started making their 'pro' bodies in black and silver to distinguish them from the cheap, plastic entry level cameras. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    I prefer silver: easier to see in the bag/dark and I prefer the look of bare metal over paint. Black cameras look a little cheap and plastic to my eye. Plus, most of my cameras are black so it's nice to have something different. I wish my Hi-Fi gear was silver too. Black is such a pain to see in dim light.
  10. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

I like the silver. Have a body only preordered from B&H.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mu-43 mobile app
  11. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    I have pre-ordered the Silver because I think it looks better, not that the black looks bad or anything! I also thought the silver will look better when I put my 2 silver non-OIS Olympus lenses on it :smile:
  12. MitchHamilton

MitchHamilton Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Banff, Alberta, Canada
    Silver GX7 with 20mm preordered. When I bought my E-P3 3 years ago I went with black and was secretly envious of the Silver the whole time I've had it. Not making that mistake again. Silver GX7 ALL THE WAY!
  13. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    If I was getting one I'd probably get the silver. Not really a fan of the whole "discrete" black bodies :)
  14. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    Will be getting the silver....after price drop.
  15. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    The black GX7 looks very nice, but after seeing the silver body in person today I can tell you the photos do not do it justice. All of my current cameras are black. In fact, the last new silver and black camera that I purchased was the Nikon F2 in 1973. While it doesn't have the classical retro looks of the silver/black Pen or OMD bodies, the silver GX7 looks very nice.

16. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I bought the silver. It does look better. It always has.

I assure you nobody ever produced black cameras because they look better. The real appeal of a consumer camera in black is "I want to look like a pro when I'm not". I remember when I had an AE-1 in the 80's, I *so* lusted after the black-bodied A-1 and F-1. I look back now and think, hmmm.

I think the silver GX7 looks better with a black lens than a black camera does, and it looks better with a silver lens than a black camera does.

As for being discreet, you don't really think people don't notice it when we put our hands up to our eyes or hold them in front of our face, in public? It is not the brightness of the small object in our big hands, that draws looks, it is behaviors.

The only message a black camera says to joe public today is that we are trying to be sneaky. And I don't want to send that message.
  17. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Exactly!! I was going to go black, ordered black, then after looking at photos of both and handling the silver I came to the same conclusion, the silver is not really all silver, only the top which is perfect as black lenses look correct on it as do silver, I tried both! :smile:
    And the really nice thing for me was the body and the 20mm lens kit I ordered came in separate boxes so I took silver body and black lens! Dont get me wrong the silver 20mm looks hot, but my other bodies are black and I think the black lens just matches in better with everything I have. I have the 25mm sitting on mine right now and it looks perfect, like it was meant to be there. So glad I didnt go with black!

Oh and Mitch, I have a black E-P3 also, but I think it actually looks the best of the two, due to the chrome body plates top and bottom that go right round the camera. Comparing it to the new E-P5 in black I think the 3 kills the 5 in looks.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

Good question.

I personally have almost only used black Camera bodies for the better part of four decades (I guess that dates me a little) and have almost always found them subjectively more elegant and pleasing....including my other current digital cameras, a black-bodied Olympus E-PL5 (great tiny mu43 camera btw) and an even smaller compact Lumix LX7, also blackbodied.

And I was seriously considering the black bodied GX7 simply because I've really only liked black bodies better for a long time....

I just ordered a silver-body GX7!

It's the first silver-bodied camera I've seen in a lonnnnnnnnnngggggg time that looked as nice or (gulp....confession follows) even nicer (!) - to me at least - than the black bodied one.

So I'm breaking with my own personal traditions and prejudices and going out on a limb but....

I like the silver-body look on the GX7 just as much as the black.

So there :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I got the silver because it was available. A side benefit is it looks as good with my silver lenses as it does with my black ones. I did not consider whether it would be more "discrete" for street photography. I do a lot of street shooting and anyone who thinks the difference between the black and silver body matters in this respect probably hasn't. I'll continue to primarily use a Nikon A for street because I find its setup and features and controls much better suited to it than any of the m43 gear (although I do love using the 12mm lens for street!). But the color if the body trim couldn't possibly matter less!

• Like Like x 1
  20. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I got the silver one, and I think it looks great. But if it were the same silver as the GX1... Then it would have had to be black!!