Who here uses an external flash with their pens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by broncophil, Nov 26, 2012.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    Other than the removable ones that come with some pens.

After finally getting a omd that is free of issues, (third time is the charm) i was considering getting the fl600r..

But the more i consider it, the more i think it defeats the purpose of carrying a small system. Cause the fl300 is not powrful enough, and the fl600r is too big..

I have fast primes so i was hoping i wouldnt need it. 14, 25, 45

2. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I use my 36 and 36r, only since it is a carry over from my regular 4/3 gear. The nice thing is, in portrait mode it works well as an extra grip to hold onto the E-PM2 :rofl:
  3. Gurin

Gurin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    I use the Fl50r controlled by the little flash on the Epl1. Just put it in a good place in a room and fire away.
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the FL300 wont fill a room, but is a good thing to have in the bag for portrait work. Biggest drawback is the lack of swivel (or a flash sensor on the back?)

P9220319 by kevinparis, on Flickr

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I use a Metz which I first bought to go with my e-410. Bounced off the ceiling mostly.
    It works great (better than the pop-up and stick-on ones) but looks ridiculous on the e-pM1.
  6. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    I use an FL-300R, usually to bump the light levels when in a low light / high iso situation.. it's tiny enough to come along all the time..

though, there are some gotchas with Oly RC if you manually push the ISO up
  7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I use the FL-36R off camera, triggered by the PEN pop-up flash. Even with fast primes, it's always good to have additional light that *you* can control/shape/modify!
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I have a Nissin bounce flash that I use in really dark settings or studio shots. It's a bit large, but it works when I need it - which is rarely.
  9. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    The FL-300R is compact and paired with fast primes will provide enough light output unless it is a very big room. It works very well as remote to bounce off walls, and triggered by the small kit flash. The FL-36R is also very nice and not that big. It is GN50m at ISO 200 (GN36 @ ISO 100) which is the base ISO for the OM-D, so should be powerful enough if you need a little more reach than the FL-300R can provide. The FL600R would be nice, but costs more.
  10. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I use a Metz 58 on my Pen and my E-M5, although it is bigger than the whole E-P3, so it takes a bit of getting used to. But I follow the little red riding hood philosophy. "My what a big Flash you have? The better to light you with M'dear!!"
  11. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    FL-36 on E-p2. Have also used it on E-p1 and Pany G1.
  12. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    Metz 36AF on E-PL3 mostly bounce
  13. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    My FL-36R is more often attached to my E-PL1 than not these days, even when I have fast glass attached. I find it gives me far more latitude with shutter speed and aperture without having to bump my ISO up when I get to shoot (which is most likely in a dark interior these days). Flash definitely helps me nail the pictures of the crawling baby and other candids at family events.
  14. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    I use a FL600r in the little studio I am slowly putting together. I don't usually carry it while I'm out and about, as you mention, it sort of defeats the purpose of a small system.

It is great for outdoor fill and dim indoor work (Strong enough to bounce well or use with a modifier), and as I'm just starting to learn more about lighting, it's been good to learn with.
  15. redcannon5

redcannon5 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2011
    Edmonton, Canada
    In shopping for my first flash a couple of months back, I briefly considered the FL-300R for its compact size.. But dismissed it after realizing I couldn't use it in manual or high speed sync modes on my EP-1. Purchased the FL-600R and couldn't be happier. Love it.
  16. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010

just pulled the trigger on a fl600r.. from BH.

Thanks for the info yall. .
  17. mcshort

mcshort Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2012
    czech republic
    i use YN460II, cheap, no ttl, but i use mainly in manual mode with wireless trigger
  18. Stan Doubt

Stan Doubt New to Mu-43

Sep 6, 2012
    I've a couple Yongnuo 460 speedlites and am having great fun - mostly used off-camera with wireless triggers and my E-PL1. They've got no TTL capability so you have to use manual settings to get a proper exposure. I am typically shooting kids low to the ground and I have high ceilings so I haven't found using on-camera bounce flash to be that great. It works OK for portraits of adults though. When I have time, and I know I'll be shooting primarily in one room, like Christmas or birthday parties I like to set things up ahead of time and place the flashes in opposite corners firing into the ceiling so that I get even lighting and can use a faster shutter speed to try and catch the little ones. It definitely takes some trial and error though, not very good for spontaneous photography. A TTL flash would be better for that, but for the money I'm having more fun with my dumb Yongnuos.
  19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    On the contrary. Small bodies and small lenses allow you more room for proper accessories like lighting. Or if you need bigger and better lenses, small bodies also allows you to carry more. Improving your photography with the right gear never defeats the purpose of a small system. Whatever lighting you need, is what lighting you should bring.

I use all kinds of speedlights with my Pen system, but the FL-36R is the most common for me to take with a small kit (like a few lenses and a flash bracket). The FL-600R is just as small, but better. It's a perfect balance of compact size, flexibility (swivel/bounce head that can be mounted with all kinds of light modifiers), and adequate power. Great flash for times of mobility.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. andrew00

andrew00 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2010
    FL-14 still does a job