1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Who has gone for a 4K monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcasan, Sep 2, 2015.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    What brand and model and how do you like it for photo editing?

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Got a used Dell UP-2414Q on eBay for $350. With my mid 2013 15" Retina Macbook I can drive it to 4K @60Hz. So far so good. I will be watching for 27 inch IPS 4K monitors on Black Friday CyberMonday weekend. The Dell P-2715Q is already down to $519 at B&H and Adorama. With luck we will see several similar IPS monitors below $500 that weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I don't have a 4K monitor, but my impression has been that 4K resolution may simply be TOO much on a 24" monitor, leaving text and icons and whatnot just too small. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on this matter after having used the 24" Dell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Two things about using a 4k 24" screen......the resolution/scaling you select and the distance from the screen. Both are in your control. When I want to do photo editing I am in full 4K. When I want to use Safari or Pages, I may switch to 1.25 or 1.5 scaling. You can change the scaling to match the app, your eyes, the lighting, and the distance from the screen. On my 15" rMBP I never run Retina mode as it does not provide enough screen real estate for me. There is no right or wrong way in this. It whatever bests fits your eyes for the task at hand. Text may be small in 4K, but it is crisp. ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I thought about that for a while but just bought reading glasses and discovered that my monitor is SHARP!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Cleaned off the desk and disconnected my ATD. :eek-31:

Connected the UP2414Q with a mDP to DP cable from Frys (used monitor did not come with the cable). So 4 cables to my 2013 15" rMBP: power, TB to my LaCie drives, mDP to the Dell monitor, USB to the USB-A hub port on the monitor. To the monitor's USB ports I connected my keyboard (never liked Bluetooth ones), US Robotics fax/modem, and JBL Pebbles speakers.

When I booted up...every thing worked! The default for the DP ports on the monitor is DP1.1. So I changed that on the monitor to DP 1.2 for 4k at 60Hz. Worked like a champ!!!!

I have the monitor at full 4K mode and love the crisp black text on the white web pages. IMHO, no need to scale to 1.25 or 1.5. I guess my face is around 2 feet from the screen. From what I can see, the one app that needs serious scaling of its text is Lightroom. 4K is great for editing images. But the text in the modules is far too small even with Preference adjustments. Thank God for transition glasses. :thumbup:

So far one of the best $350 expenditures I have done in computing...in a long time. :2thumbs:

8. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
  9. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    My Thunderbolt Display is 2K. No where near as sharp as my Dell 4K. It will be interesting to see if the rumor is correct that Apple will introduce a Retina iMac with 21" K4 display to go along with the Retina iMac with 27" 5K display.

10. Hugo

Hugo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2011
    I got a Philips 40" 4K with 3840 x2160 for gaming for about 4 months. It looks amazing but my GTX970 can't keep up with the resolution. Can't do max setting for the latest games.

• Like Like x 1
  11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I have a mid-2012 MBPr which unfortunately can't do 4K -- but its retina screen has spoiled me so my 24" 1080p IPS monitor looks too 'grainy' for me to enjoy.

So, I'm thinking of getting a 4K monitor anyway and running it at retina resolution. Do you think that would look good? Or would it look poor because the screen would not be running a native resolution?

12. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It doesn't make sense to me to run a monitor at anything less than its maximum resolution. The only way I would recommend doing as you suggest is if you are planning to upgrade to a computer that will support a 4K display in the very near future. Otherwise, save a few bucks and get a 24" WQHD (2560x1440) or whatever the max. your computer will support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. yves75

yves75 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    paris, france
    I'm planning to buy one, when I will upgrade my computer.
    Currently on a mbp 15" mid 2010 and a 1200p display.

Will go for a latest 13" mbp I think.

For the 4K display (or UHD to be precise), currently looking at :
    - DELL P2715Q
    - Asus PB279Q
    - BenQ BL2711U

The Benq seems to get the best reviews (and be the most "mac friendly" for connections, wake up etc), but somehow only on very few shops in Europe it seems (or in France at least).

14. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah it's just not something I'd consider until there's a 4k monitor with a decent panel (ips/va) that also has gsync on it, or at the very least allows >60hz so missing a frame doesn't push it to 33ms lag. The Acer X34 looks like the closest thing to that anyone has coming out (3440 x 1440, 100hz gsync / 75hz otherwise). Been very tempted by 21:9 screens since I had a play with one at a mate's house a while back.

15. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Maybe it's one of those "you need to see it to get it" type things, but I'm not sure I understand the point of 4k at the 24 inch size?

EDIT--not challenging anyone, actually wondering. I thought that the pixel density of 1440 would be plenty good enough for a screen that size.

I'm looking at upgrading the video card/monitor at some point in the (relatively far) future from my 1920*1080 IPS panel and have been looking into this a bit. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself as I can't possibly justify the prices on 4k monitors quite yet.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  16. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    It is all about the definition/crispness of edges, lines, and text. I find the most of the time I am running at 3008x1692. When I open LR I often change to higher resolution. The problem with LR is that Adobe does not provide nearly enough range in the font resizing for the menus to be about to handle a full 4K resolution without microscopic menu text.

17. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I've just ordered the Dell UP2715H 5K monitor, read reviews etc, all good but also had to buy a new video card to achieve full 5K (5120 x 2880) resolution, requires 2 display ports in MST mode. It's supports 99% Adobe RGB and has hardware LUT for calibration, looking forward to getting it.

Paul