Who Has Both OM-D and E-PL5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

My OM-D is a marvelous machine, but I find I actually prefer the handling of my E-PL1 with the VF-2. I'm thinking that maybe instead of getting another OM-D, I may get a pair of E-PL5s after the prices come down a bit.

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of anyone who has both of those cameras.

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have both. A comparison of the two will come down to personal taste. I find the control of the OM-D vastly superior, because I can directly control the standard camera functions. With the E-PL5 adjustments like, changing aperture/shutter speed, exposure compensation, AF sensor location require tapping the control wheel and then makes adjustments. The AF point selection is so tedious on the Pens that I very often use the touch screen instead, unless I'm using the VF-2. I do like being able to change the default size of the AF sensor size with the 5. I also much prefer the IBIS with the D. The OM-D lets you set IBIS to be active continually with a half press of shutter button. This makes it much easier to MF lenses and be sure IS is on when you release the shutter. With the Pens, IS is active for about 1 sec as you depress the shutter; if you delay with a half press, IS will be off when you release the shutter. It all has to be done in one movement.

I'll probably keep the E-PL5 until Olympus comes out with an update the OM-D.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TDP

TDP Guest

I have both as well and b_rubenstein is dead on correct: the E-M5 is much easier to control while shooting.