Who has an Olympus Air A01? Share Your Experiences!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by billbooz, Aug 31, 2015.

1. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I've had my Air for almost a month now and I'm liking it. As I've mentioned before, I'm getting lots of great tips (#olympusairtips) from other Air owners in the Olympus Air A01 Facebook group. If you're. FB user and interested in the Air and how folks are using it, check out the group. If not, let's swap ideas here!

So far I have only taken out my Air as my primary camera once or twice. One of those times I used it like a "normal" camera with my iPhone 6 in the coupler on the back of the Air. That worked reasonably well, but I obviously need to practice more because it did seem a bit awkward. I want to give it a try capturing birds or animals remotely from inside the house while the Air is on a tripod outside. Also look forward to trying it for some street photography where folks won't realize I'm actually taking pictures as I look down at my iPhone as though I'm texting or reading e-mail.

I can also see placing it in places I can't be or up high to get semi-aerial shots. To that end, I've been experimenting with attaching it to an extended monopod and trying to attach my iPhone to the bottom of the monopod so I can hold the combo in my left hand while I control Air exposure settings with my right (http://www.infotor.com/blog/attaching-a-smartphone-to-a-pole-for-use-with-olympus-air-a01/).

Some folks have tried some pretty cool things, such as encasing the Air in a see-through plastic cylinder to use it in the rain, attach it to outside of car and shoot video, put phone in coupler upside-down for different angle, placed the Air on road beside curb to capture car races, and the list goes on.

What have you tried?

2. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Gosh Bill, you're not getting any love at all here.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's only available in the US and Japan...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Entering week two of our trip to europe and I'm having a helluva good time with this camera! Using almost exclusively with the oly 25mm, and shooting blind a majority of the time. I wanted something unobtrusive, and this has fit the bill perfectly. Occasionally also used the 17mm 2.8 and Panasonic powerzoom 14-42 kit lens, but I have found the 25 to be surprisingly versatile. I have gotten quite good at framing without the camera, and with a 64gb card I just bracket my framing to make sure I don't miss a shot! My wife has been using an epl5 and 14-150 zoom, I have had almost no urge to switch out and use that camera myself.

Note, I'd been out of m43 for awhile, rebuilt this entire kit just for the trip as the prospect of lugging my d600 and several lenses was very unappealing. The air has actually rekindled my desire to get out and take some pics, which is great! I'm up around 1000 photos already, shooting blind had also helped with battery life I think, I've had no issues using it all day for the most part except the first day when I was still getting comfortable with it.

Been using a think tank turnstyle 5 as well, perfect bag. Holds the pl5 with 14-150, the oly air, oly 25, 8mm fisheye and 17 2.8, Panasonic kit power zoom, a Sony action cam, a filter and a few extra batteries. Also room in the tablet section for 2 phones (i bought a cheap Android phone to use just with the air, also a smart move) and keys.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  5. Bcphoto2

Bcphoto2 New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2015
    I've had my AIR for a few days. So far I'm pleased with the concept and construction but really disappointed by the documentation = 0. I had to reference a youtube users review to find the micro SD underneath a second back cover. Now I'm puzzled by the settings for RAW. It does shoot RAW and jpeg together but what does it shoot when that is turned off? It doesn't say and it may not be possible to shoot RAW's only. Also the OLY viewer is the only way to see the RAWS unless I buy into a more advanced Adobe PS6 instead of my CS5 (or convert to DNG which I don't like). I use Capture One though and so far no mention of support from them.

It appears the camera will work nicely on my Meade telescope and legacy lenses. I thought of a friend that could mount the AIR on one of his model train flatbeds and record movies with the train going through his extensive diorama. So I think we will see some cool stuff in the days ahead. 4 stars on the camera and no stars for the non-existent software -- its like buying a car without the keys.
    BC

6. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    I am a little intrigued by this camera, mainly because it would make a very small package with my 9-18mm lens mounted. I don't have a smartphone (Luddite, I know), so I would like to know if you can use the Air without a phone, realizing that I would be shooting blind. Is there a way to make setting changes without a phone? Thanks for any input you have.

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Although it can certainly be used without a phone, it is still a necessity. The good news is you can pickup a no contact good smart phone very cheaply to use just with the phone. Something like a Moto e phone would work great and if you watch for deals at slickdeals.net you should locate something well under $50 in no time at all. No contact phones do not require activation with the phone carrier, however you would need to create a free google account in order to use one.

@Bcphoto2@Bcphoto2 I believe there is a pdf file within the app, but you are right the documentation is sparse. I don't recall seeing a raw only option in the settings either. There is a section called standalone setting to change the jpeg only including size and compression same as other Olympus cameras.

Cool idea with the train! I wonder if there wouldn't be a smaller action camera that might be better suited for that, already having a super wide angle lens built in?

8. RachelleK

RachelleK Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2014
    MD
    Rachelle
    Looks like OA Central doesn't work with iOS 9. Camera works fine with the third party apps and iOS 9 (and with OA Central and iOS 8.4 of course). I wonder if they are going to have a software update soon. If not they are going to have a lot of unhappy people.

9. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    RachelleK, my understanding is that developers cannot actually tweak their apps for IOS 9 until Apple releases the "Gold Master" for this next release. That should be any day now since everything points to their releasing IOS 9 next week after their 9/9 event. Certainly, Olympus will address any issues as soon as they are able to.

10. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Fsuscotphoto, I'm used to it! -;) - Though see things are picking up now!

11. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Bcphoto2, thanks for your comments and sharing your experiences with your Air, especially your shooting blind. Please share some of those images with us and if you are a Facebook user, please share them in the Olympus Air A01 group.

12. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Anyone using it with a drone? That would seem quite a nice setup compared to a GoPro and clones.

13. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I don't think you will ever be able to use it with a drone because of the inability to control the camera with the phone. The range is very short.

14. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    What's your definition of "very short" RE connectability range, fsuscotphoto?

15. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I've been told about 100 feet.

16. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    They are finally getting shipments into Amazon.Got mine two days ago. It is a bit weird compared to a regular camera and it takes a little fiddling to figure out the two plastic backs you have to get into. I ordered white on a whim and it is perfect for my white I phone 6 plus.I did not realize that it would mount right on your phone at an angle and feels fairly secure. It has its own app.which uses Bluetooth or WiFi. Mine decided it wanted to use Wi-Fi.

There is the usual slightly hellish experience trying to pair it,but once done it works well.The key is that it is already paired once you put in the password ,though it keeps asking you to pair again once you have paired. The online manual from Oly has two pages of instructions and 14 pages of legal and safety information. The best way to get real information is http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-air-a01/olympus-air-a01A.HTM. Now the fun begins. I don't see how anyone who already has a phone and an M 43 lens can resist this.I am finding that small primes will be best,especially the Oly 17mm F1.8 work well.

17. Bcphoto2

Bcphoto2 New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2015
    Tried the Air with my Meade ETX 1900mm this morning on Venus. I didn't have the motor tracker on -- just used the scope as a spotter or tele prime focus. Venus is fairly small even with a 1900mm. My first inclination from the photos and some previous shooting is that the Air images aren't as sharp as my EM-10. I will do some more comparisons. There was some skylight and haze that caused some distortion and there is a blue yellow chromatic aberration that neither PS or Oly Viewer could fix. I suspect this aberration is from the Air's glass over the sensor. However, this wouldn't be so noticeable with much larger image of the planet. The image may have been better had I upped the shutter speed one-half stop too and I think I encountered some rolling shutter problems on a few images. Otherwise here is the result:

BC

This is a VERY small section from the overall image. Squiggly edges are distortion from Earth's atmospheric turbulence.
    venus1.

• Like Like x 1
  18. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    @Drdave944@Drdave944 the Bluetooth pairing is used to turn the camera itself on from completely off. I'm pretty sure the air is running with Bluetooth low energy in the background all the time, that way you never have to even use the cameras buttons if you don't want to, it can be entirely controlled from the app, including on and off.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    A quick question for those who own the Air: does the Air and its app allow you to take "live composite" photos like you can with many of Olympus' recent cameras? I don't think so (since I don't see any reviews speaking about it), but thought I would ask actual owners. Thanks!!

20. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    It's a shame Olympus didn't figure out a way to increase the connectivity range, and stuff 4k video in this. It would be a perfect aeriel camera to throw on a drone and capture some 4k video with the 14mm f/2.5 or 12mm f/2.0 lens.

Imagine stuffing a GH4 sensor with V-Log L in this package, sticking the 12mm/14mm on it, and sending it up on a drone. You could get some AMAZING images and dynamic range with a relatively cheap drone (compared to the octa-rotors you need to get a GH4 & gimbal up in the air).