Who has a GF1 and GF3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dangermouse1968, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    Please could you compare and contrast?

I have a GF1 and I think the GF2 / GF3 are quite different and more like a traditional compact??.

Am considering buying the GF3 with a 14 mm and giving my girlfriend the GF3 body with the 14-45 that came with my GF1. I take the 14mm to complement my 20 and 45mm. Simples!

She loves my GF1 but will she like the GF3.

Presumably the image quality is at least as good?

Thanks,

David

2. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    With girl: I think she will like.

GF3: nice curve body, small, nearly fastest focus speed, touchscreen, image quality good atleast not under low light condition.

The difference between GF1 and GF3 image quality small with her, with your 14-45mm lens kit!

3. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    If she is fine without a hotshoe/ evf then she should love it as much as the GF1, although the GF1 is also quite a bit bigger and chunkier.

The GF3 is aimed more at people upgrading from a compact whereas the GF1 is more of an 'enthusiasts' model. But GF3 provides the small size and portability of a compact with better image quality and more control than a compact (although only an internal flash and no flash exposure compensation). GF3 has the touch screen and touch to focus is a nice feature but everything can be accessed without using the touch screen if preferred.

Image quality should be fairly similar.

What does she love about the GF1? And do those things apply to the GF3?

I think the GF3 +14mm makes a great take everywhere small camera for someone who does not use flash or an evf. The 14-45 (and 14-42) are quite big lenses on a small body like the GF3 - your girlfriend might want to keep the little 14mm for herself. :biggrin:

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The GF3 with 14-42z is about the same size powered off as with the 20mm, a very small package.

5. Psus4

Psus4 New to Mu-43

Apr 4, 2012
    Stockholm
    You might also want to check out the GF2 + 14mm. It's a cheaper package (at least where I live) and the cameras are pretty similar. But the GF2 has that same (to me essential) thumb wheel as the GF1, and the GF3 hasn't.

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I much preferred the handling/feel of GF1, but performance-wise I'd give the nod to GF3. Faster to focus; better IQ (SOOC JPEGs). Not a huge difference, but a difference.

7. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    I had a GF1 (lost/stolen) and have a GF3. GF3 is considerably smaller and considerably faster in focussing. Obviously you also get the touch screen, but for me that isn't a big deal either way. The lack of external controls, flash and evf you can see for yourself. From the point of view of my wife, the iA button is great.

Image quality is basically identical, unsurprisingly.

I think you have a good plan, except she may not want the big 14-45! For you, it works nicely. In fact I bought the gf3 rather than an oly because I wanted the 14.