who has a 14-140?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Z-man, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Thinking about buying a 14-140. I currently have a 14-42 and 45-175. Thinking about getting rid of both of those so I could just have one walk around lens.

who has this lens and what do you think? I have found a used one for about $400-450?

2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    It's big, it's "heavy", and the maximum aperture shoots up really quickly once you inch away from 14mm, which makes it more useful as an outdoor/good light or video lens (which is really its prime purpose). The focal range really is quite convenient though. Very nice lens, all things considered. If I had to do it all over again, I might have gone with separates (14-45 and 45-200, or 100-300, or primes + either long tele), but my wife likes the versatility and it is her preferred lens purely from a convenience factor.

What body do you intend to use it on? Using it on a GF1 is a little cumbersome, but not horrible. Can see how it would handle better on a G or GH body.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It's largeish, heavyish, slow, not very sharp, and not very optically special. I love mine.

First off, it is a 10x zoom, and I am not one of those people who is fine with 3x-5x. I really enjoy the extra reach. It is also a surprisingly capable macro. Excellent video lens eith fast silent AF. it spends a lot of time on my GH2. it is kind of bulky and heavy for a GF or PEN body, though. And the 14-42 and 45-175 probably deliver better results.

4. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    For $400-450, I say its definitely worth the investment as a replacement for your current zooms if you can live with the extra weight. Who knows? Maybe it'll come in handy for video sometime too.

5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I got mine with my GH1, and it's a great walk around lens. Heavy is a relative thing, and for a 10x, I'd have to go all the way up to probably the Canon 28-300, for something of similar optical quality. There's a few aps-c crop 18-200's, but I feel the Lumix is still better. My other 10x is the Sigma 50-500.

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    +1. It's my go-to lens for most outdoor outings with my family. Indoors, I only use it with off-camera flash ... just too slow.

7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

In general, the greater the zoom range, the worse the optics. The most difficult lens to design and manufacture is a wide angle to telephoto zoom. A wide angle to telephoto zoom with a zoom ratio of 10X is just asking for trouble. Anyone considering a 10X wide angle to telephoto zoom should think very carefully about the optical quality of such a lens.

I have two optically excellent "walk around" lenses in the shape of the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and Olympus 45mm f/1.8. Whichever one I am not using fits easily in the smallest pocket of any item of clothing I own. Together, they are far smaller and lighter than a Panasonic 14-140mm. I would never swap either lens for a 10X wide angle to telephoto zoom.

If you aren't prepared to make the very small effort to change lenses, perhaps you should ask yourself why you bought an camera that offers interchangeable lenses?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sawfish

Sawfish Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Denmark
    I can think of many, but is it really important. :smile:

Sf

9. Looked at as a complete package the 14-140mm is one of the very best Micro 4/3 lenses available, with the flexibility of a 10x zoom range, good optics, fast focusing, and build quality. With this lens I don't find the need to use a telephoto, which in the case of the Panny 45-200mm I didn't find to be any sharper across their overlapping range. I would rarely trouble the longest focal lengths so the fact that it doesn't zoom to 175-200mm is not of great consequence for me.

The 14-140mm is very easily dismissed as being "just another superzoom" when in reality it is much better than that label usually implies. Let's face it: a big, slow zoom lens is just plain unsexy compared to a small, fast prime lens, but there have been many circumstances where I wouldn't have wanted any other lens mounted on my camera. I'd choose the 14-140mm over any other combination of existing wide and telephoto Micro 4/3 zoom lenses.

6140080900_d5538d39e9_z.

5997098167_79ea091b6b_z.

6272381226_4847e22dfa_z.

6360303715_0b7d40c717_z.

6725133671_6c9951a0a4_z.

6835498132_e379219e50_z.

• Like Like x 7
  10. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    I find the 14-140 useful, with some limitations.

I used to have the 14-45 kit lens and the 45-200, both quite nice for what they are. I should say here that I found the 45-200 to be a step better in my hands than either the 14-45 or 14-140. It was tough to give up, until the 100-300 showed up.

I prefer to shoot primes most of the time. However, when I travel, I usually want a lens that I can be sure will cover most circumstances, especially when I'm with family or friends who aren't primarily photographers. That is my most common use of the lens. I agree that it doesn't gather much light, so that's the biggest limitation there.

My other big use is for a telephoto for travel. Sometimes the Pana-Leica 45mm Macro-Elmarit just doesn't have enough reach. The 14-140 works well in that situation as well. It is not the sharpest lens at the extreme long end, but sure isn't bad.

For me, the 100-300 is a specialty lens, one that comes in handy for birds and nature, especially. I don't carry it on travel very often.

So, in summary, I find the 14-140 is in my bag quite often. Second only to my primes.

Hope this is helpful.

Reed
    My Lumix Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com

11. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have one and I hardly ever use it. I find it too front-heavy on the G1 or GH2 and its IQ only so-so. I prefer the 14-45 and 45-175 combo, even if that means I have to switch lenses every now and then.

12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    A frequently repeated generality. True, compromises are made, but they are not as great as people think. The difference in quality, is hardly noticeable in many cases. That's not claiming all 10x's are great, but the Lumix is very good.

What I like about the 14-140 as a travel lens, is the convenience. Especially in unfamiliar places or on the move, changing lenses is a disaster waiting to happen. A distracted tourist is an easy target for thieves. If traveling with others, the 'wait while I.....' might get a bit irksome. The advantage of having interchangeable lens, is that you can put the 14-140 on and not worry about changing for a while, and still carry that tiny fast prime in your pocket.

13. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Even if the Panasonic 14-140mm was the best affordable 10X zoom lens ever made, it would still be optically very poor. No-one has yet managed to defy the laws of physics and produce a 10X zoom with good optical performance at a reasonable price. Choose no more than two of:

10X
    Affordable
    Optically excellent

Travel lens ... convenience ... not worrying about changing ...? Sounds like the perfect justification for laziness while ignoring image quality.

Perhaps a bridge camera might suit you better? There some excellent bridge cameras around these days with >25X zoom lenses that you would never have to change. My wife gets some nice snapshots with hers.

14. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    No need to be a jerk. People have different uses and goals for their cameras. Just because it doesn't jive with your philosophy on setting up a camera isn't an excuse to become a preachy a-hole.

Bottom line: for some people they would never touch a 14-140 because "they're too good for it". Other people like the convenience of it, AS WELL AS the ability to use other lenses when appropriate as afforded by having a system camera.

Is it the greatest lens ever made? No.
    Is it going to be the favoured lens by many people? Yes.
    Do I expect you to use one? No.
    Do I think the world would be a better place if all 10X zoom lenses were destroyed because they are optically inferior to my lovely primes? No.
    Is it too much to ask for people to get off their high-horse for a minute and realize that other people have valid uses for things that they do not? Perhaps...
    Will I continue to own a 14-140 for the sheer convenience of when a 10X zoom is handy? Likely.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    This. I've got the P20, Oly45, P45-200, and I still like the 14-140 for its own merits. They all serve their purposes wonderfully.

16. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    just to clarify my original post...

I own a GH2, with a 25 PL, 45 PL, 100-300, and of course a 14-45 and 45-175.

I also have a D7000 with several lenses. So changing lenses is not really the issue for me, but rather do I want that one lens I can carry around when the situation dictates that changing lenses would not be a practical solution.

I understand that I will be sacrificing some image quality by trading in my 14-45 and 45-175, and I am not yet totally convinced i will do that . I wish I could use it for a week and compare the results and see if I really liked it or not.. At the same time, if I pay $430 for it, and don't like it, I probably can re-sell it for the same amount.

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I did exactly what you're considering and have never regretted it.

Re lens changing, I am mostly a tourist photographer. Shooting outdoors there are many things that want shorter than 90mm equivalent focal length and many that want longer. Hence the "switch point" is awkward. I shoot this lens and the 9-18mm. The wide zoom is primarily an "indoors" lens and the long zoom is primarily an "outdoors" lens for me. Usually I use two bodies.

Yes the lens is heavy, but not as heavy as the pair.

Re economics, the two lenses I sold yielded more than enough to buy my 14-140.

Re "the perfect justification for laziness while ignoring image quality" and "If you aren't prepared to make the very small effort to change lenses, perhaps you should ask yourself why you bought an camera that offers interchangeable lenses? " the adjective that comes to mind is "pompous." The noun that comes to mind is has three letters beginning with "a." For myself, I have never seen an engaging photo of a resolution chart. Go here: Phase One, Leaf and Mamiya Official User to User Forum • Index page and ask what people think about your obsessing on IQ for these silly little cameras and lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  18. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Optically very poor? Is this from personal experience or testing? I've had mine for about 2 years, and I do not find that to be true. Performance wise, I find it good to very good at various focal lengths, not quite 'excellent' but certainly not poor.

19. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    I own the lens and use it a lot outdoor. Sometimes there's simply not enough time to change lens between shots.

One down side I notice is that it casts a shadow on the wide end when used with built-in flash.

20. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I would bet that the theoretical detractor has never used one of these wonderful lenses. But never mind those comments, in any event. Listen to those who actually use this lens on a regular basis.

The Panasonic 14-140 is a very good lens indeed. It's sharp, has excellent color quality, a wonderfully useful range, SUPERB OIS. I have hand held this lens at 1/15th second while at maximum telephoto (140mm which is 280mm equivalent FOV) with tack sharp results. Compared to other m4/3 lenses it is big and bulky... but not terribly so, especially by conventional DSLR standards. It's a surprisingly excellent lens with great versatility. I use mine mostly when walking around and wanting to take two lenses on two bodies. I put the 14-140 on one body and the 7-14mm on the other. This gives me an equivalent FOV of 14mm to 280mm. These two lenses are, among others, excellent performers giving a huge range of focal lengths.

Panasonic 14-140 :2thumbs: