1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Who Else Wants More Native Manual-Focus Lenses?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Narnian, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I must confess I am not that interested in expanding my lenses with auto-focus versions. Auto-focus is beneficial for zooms but less so for primes from my standpoint.

I am just as happy with manual focusing in most cases. I have several adapted lenses I love but I would like smaller native versions.

And as a casual photographer I further confess I want inexpensive (read: cheap) lenses with good but not necessarily professional build quality (e.g. Nikon E series). Voightlander lenses are too large and too expensive for me. The Samyang 7.5 strikes the perfect balance and would love to see them make even more.

Native manual focus prime lenses I would like to see?

1. 10/2.8
    2. 25/1.8
    3. 50/1.8 (replace my Pentax 50/1.4)
    4. 85/2 or 100/2 (replace my Minolta 85/2)
    5. 100/2.8 Macro (replace my Micro-Nikkor)
    6. 200/2.8 (replace my Pentax 200/4)

I have the 14/2.5 and 20/1.7 Pannys and like them fine as they are but if/when I replace then I would probably get fast wide primes in the same or similar lengths.

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Curious why you want the above lenses in MF instead of AF?

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'd like a couple for video purposes. Filming with AF lenses kind of sucks, focus by wire is gross and the lack of hard stops is awkward.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    For anything past 25mm or so, what would be the advantage over adapted legacy lenses? Native would be more expensive, and a lot more limited on what they could be used on.

Personally, I miss MF not at all.

DH

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If it was MF, would it be auto or manual aperture as well???

I think Narnian's point is cost. Drop the AF and drop the price (maybe also size and weight?)

6. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I'll always want autofocus...sometimes I'm lazy...if I'm feeling energetic, I'd go for an adapted/legacy lens.

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I don't see having AF as a negative (quite the opposite in fact), but what I would love to see is more lenses with an improved manual focus experience. Think something like the Olympus 12mm with its unique manual/auto focus ring.

I'm perfectly ok with focus by wire if done well, but the Oly 12 is the only native AF lens I've used that comes close to the tactile feel and feedback of working with the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 or an adapted manual lens.

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    MF won't necessarily be cheaper if you use a quality mechanical focussing mechanism, and if you don't you're stuck with focus-by-wire, which is horrible...

That said I love using a quality MF lens (think Voigtlanders offerings), and I've never used an AF lens (on any system) that offers the tactile feedback of a dedicated MF lens.

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't believe so.

I'm curious, what do you see as the advantage of a MF legacy lens over an adapted lens for what you are doing? If you're willing to manually focus then I should think adjusting the aperture wouldn't be that big a deal. Also, the native lenses would be a lot more expensive. Also, I don't see m43 as a a particularly good platform for MF lenses anyway so I'd have to say that I wouldn't be interested.

10. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I still want automatic aperture control (though I confess I shoot 95% of the time in aperture priority).

Size and cost savings by eliminating auto-focus as well as targeting the sensor size are my primary goals.

I would have loved to have gotten the new Oly 75/1.8 but it is out of my price range. Instead I picked up a Minolta 85/2 which I would say is just as sharp from my own testing. A native 85/2 from Samyang I would venture could be smaller than either.

Adapted lenses have the burden of being designed for 35mm, not m43 so there is a lot of wasted glass. Interestingly the Minolta 85/2 with adapter is about the same dimensions and weight as the Oly 75/1.8. Design an manual focus 85/2 for m43 and it should be smaller than either.

In a few years I hope to retire but I expect to be cash poor and whatever I get now I would like it to last me the rest of my life. Simpler designs without little motors are more likely to last longer with lower life-cycle maintenance.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    None of the current 'native' MF lenses have that.

Sensor size only makes a difference wider than 25mm or so. There's no real benefit for telephotos.

You're unlikely to get anything much smaller than a compact OM or Pentax K for 30mm+ lenses, unless they compromise significantly on optics or construction.

DH

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I would like to have a "competent" MF option on all my AF lenses.

Specifically I would like to have a distance-calibrated focus ring or, better, a MF distance readout in the viewfinder. This would allow setting hyperfocal distance and also would be helpful when the autofocus latches onto something between me and my intended subject. The former is helpful for landscapes and interiors, and the latter for wild animal photography. I have a very nice photo of a jackal lying in some tall grass and looking at me, but it is the intervening grass and not the jackal that is sharp. If the VF had showed me "10'" I could have easily turned a MF ring to make the number "12'" and gotten the shot.

13. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    For me- I'd love to have more distance scales, and non focus-by-wire and non aperture-by-wire.

14. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I disagree - they may not be shorter but they definitely should be able to make them thinner or faster at the same thickness.