who else is having problems with iMac 27 and Crucial memory not working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chuck Pike, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I purchased my iMac 27 with the smallest amount of memory possible knowing I would be able to upgrade later. I had read from several people over at DPreview about their doing this and then buying Crucial memory as it was so much cheaper than from the Apple store, and that is what I did. The memory worked well for about 6 months and then it didn't. My system started crashing and it didn't see my two LaCie drives any more. Both Google and then Safari stopped working. Everything worked again after I re-installed the original memory that came with the computer. I wish that I had go to the Crucial comments section before I made my purchase of memory because there are several complaints. This all started right after I installed Yosemite and I thought that might have been the cause,but just on a hunch I put back the original memory and sure enough it worked. Where before I couldn't even open LR and have all of your pictures appear before the system crashed, now it works. I used Crucial equipment scan to pick out the right memory but it didn't keep working. I wish I had read the remarks from the people writing on the Crucial web site and I wouldn't have wasted my money.

2. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
  3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    My LaCie drives also starting disconnecting repeatedly after installing Yosemite. I opened a ticket with them.
  4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    I put Crucial memory into the many 2010 white MacBooks I have referred for family and friends. Zero problems. I put Yosemite on all of them via a clean install from a USB stick. Zero problem. No problem with our many LaCie TB drives before and after Yosemite.

Try a clean install of Yosemite from a USB stick, then install your apps and data from a TM backup.
  5. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I've bought Crucial memory many, many, times over the years both for home and for computers here at the office and never had a problem -- that said I have heard about folks whose third-party ram worked fine until an OS update that required more precise timings, but that was back in the dark ages and I haven't heard of that problem lately. Have you tried reseating the Crucial ram? Might have come a bit loose over time and coincidentally became a problem with the Yosemite upgrade. If still an issue, def contact Crucial, I've heard they're pretty good with their warranty support even if I've never had occasion to directly test that myself.

My Yosemite angst is with constant dropped Bluetooth connections, super-annoying when you are using wireless kybds and mouse. Lots of people complaining about it so hopefully Apple is preparing a fix, but we've upgraded a few users at the office and while half of them have no problem, the other half, myself included, do. Suspect it's an issue only with certain architectures. Luckily my home iMac works fine on Yosemite.

Good luck!
  6. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I have 32GB crucial in my iMac 27 - zero problems.
  7. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    Great customer service from Apple, LaCie and Crucial.

I have had help from Apple, LaCie and Crucial in working this out. Apple had me replace the original memory and everything worked as far as Apple and the LaCie hard drives are concerned. Someone at DPreview said to check out Apple Hardware Test to see what was going on with the system. It kept coming up saying that the RAM failed the test. I then started changing the location of the existing ram the IMac came with with the Crucial ram. After many changes, it came down that two different sticks of ram were the problem. I then contacted Crucial about what I had found and they asked for information about what was printed on the ram and said that they would arrange for me to exchange what I had that wasn't working. I just wanted to follow up with this post to let you know that each of these companies gave me outstanding service. They didn't try to pass me off to anyone else until they had proved that the fault with the computer crashing wasn't caused by their equipment.

In case you don't know about the Apple Hardware Test, this is how to get to it. When you turn on your computer, and you hear the sound it makes as it turns on, hold down the D key and keep it held down. It brings up the testing program. I found that my mouse didn't work at first, but if I moved the two buttons and the mouse, the pointer did start working.

• Like Like x 1