Who doesn't use video features?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by drd1135, Aug 9, 2011.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    No rant here, just curiosity. I never use the video features of either my E-P2 or G2. Video capability has absolutely no effect on my camera purchases, and I would cheerfully do without them. Am I the only one who feels like this?

It wouldn't be the first time :redface:
  2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    No, I'd quite happily live without video on any camera...... and also any phone for that matter.... someone started the ball rolling and the rest just had to follow suit.
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Video capabilities are low on the requirements priorities for me.....
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Depends...on my G2 which I use the most I don't much care whether or not it has video. I have only used it once or twice. On my GF2 however which is a more fun/casual use camera for me I am finding that I very much like having video.
  5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I never, ever use video.. would much rather get a spare battery or a real prime lens.
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I rarely shoot video. I suppose if I had kids it might be different.
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Can I put two hands up here?
  8. So far, no use for video. Not sure how to properly use it. Will need to read the manual and practice a bit. But not today or tomorrow or probably ever.
  9. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I've dabbled with video. It was actually one of the selling features that originally got me into :43: because at the time I was looking at getting a camcorder :eek:)
  10. BruPri

BruPri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2010
    Unfortunately if a manufacturer leaves out a popular feature such as video, they lose a comparative advantage in the marketplace. I myself have never used the video, or art settings on any of my cameras. I agree with the comment about the trade-offs...if only one could get better quality components to focus on the device's core strenghts that are best suited to each individual using the device. Sadly it'll never happen at the pro-sumer price points.
  11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I doubt it costs anything for a manufacturer to put video in these days. It's not a useless feature and can be fun sometimes - try to experiment with MF and shallow DoF when you're bored. Or macro or telephoto (100-300) video. I had G3 for a while and I was only able to get smooth video with wide angle 14mm lens at smaller aperture in sufficient light. Otherwise I can clearly see those annoying AF transitions on HDTV. I bet PDAF is better for video especially in low light like the one on Sony A55. It's sad to see some parents buying Canikon DSLRs (have such friends) for HD video only to get dissapointed. Nobody explained to them that fast AF is for stills only, lol.
  12. jeanba3000

jeanba3000 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    Paris, France
    It's like I totally ignore my E-PL2 has got video capabilities… But it's nothing to be proud of it, I should look the manual about it someday…
  13. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    You mean my camera does video? So?
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    If it wasn't for video, we might have the debatedly "better" CCD sensor vice CMOS...:smile:
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Two years ago I was really into it, but what a pain to edit properly, and a disk hog. I've gone to stills, and creating slide shows. It's nice to have it just in case.
  16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Video ... Schmideo never touch the stuff.
  17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmm.. Aren't those CCD worse for high ISO nosie?
  18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Yep, in theory CCD should be better, but for elevated ISO CMOS is less noisy (ask Nikon who first started with CCD sensors and later switched to CMOS).

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I'm glad you said this.
    In the past, when I brought up the high ISO performance of the NEX, a common answer was that MFT has better overall image IQ.

Well guess what? The Leica M9 uses a Kodak CCD sensor which arguably has a better overall image IQ than CMOS sensors....:smile:
  20. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Sorry, you're all deluding yourselves. :) You all use the video functions on your m4/3 cameras. You just don't record it.

It's called live view. The better the video capabilities, the better the live view capabilities. And the cameras with better video capabilities have the better stills abilities as well. Notice that the GH2, G3 and EP3 have the best AF, buffers etc. That's because they have the best video capabilities. The cameras with the best AF and write speeds also have full HD video. Those with lower video capabilities also have inferior AF and stills abilities as well.

The technology that gives you live view is exactly the same stuff that allows video. Remove ALL the video capabilities and you also remove live view. The only physical differences are in the size of the buffer, speed of the on chip processors and the size and speed of your memory cards. But since those things also improve the AF speed, still shot buffer and image write times, your getting advantages there too. Implementing video is just a few lines of code on top of live view. The most difficult part is the code to allow live view. The recording bit is easy.

Improvements in M4/3 stills and video are linked at the hip. You can't have one without the other. There's always a few (not in this thread) that say, I'd rather have a ....... than video". It isn't cheaper to produce the camera, they'd sell less so the cost per unit would be higher and you'd have a technically inferior product. I don't use the video functions except for live view either, but I'm very glad it's there.

• Like Like x 2