Who changes their Gradation settings when using Olympus cameras?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hobbes266, Feb 9, 2015.

1. hobbes266

hobbes266 Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2014
    Gold Coast, Australia
    I was curious if Gradation was changing the tone curve of the jpg, and so applying some special Olympus recipe. Or whether it was just changing the exposure triangle to make an image high or low key, and so its results were no different than if you had decided to expose with more or less light yourself (e.g. increase or decrease the shutter speed).

From some reading online, it appears to be the former, is that correct?

For jpg shooters (or Raw + Jpg like me, who likes to use the Jpg for most cases but have the Raw as a backup for working on the best images), it would seem fairly important to utilize the Gradation setting and know it well. Yet I have hardly used it at all.

Everyone seems to agree that leaving it on Normal is best for general shooting, particularly normal outdoor light. But are people changing it when they want a certain look, or is everyone ignoring it? It seems like changing it would make the output a bit of a lottery, unless you were well experienced with it. But if you wanted, say, a low key image as part of street shooting, it is best to play with the Gradation, or just leave it on Normal and expose low key yourself using perhaps spot metering or exposure compensation?

It also seems you can't change Gradation later in camera when making jpg's from Raws, is that correct? It would be useful if you could. I don't know why Olympus lets you change some variables but not others when editing Raw images in camera.

Thanks for your input.
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's definitely applying custom curves to the image. You can check the tonal response on the DPReview full review. AFAIK the only thing that can change the gradation type afterwards is OV3.
  3. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    After reading all the threads from day one. I have always set my cameras to "normal" versus "auto". I just correct in RAW myself. To me the auto mode the images don't look right. Maybe the new image processors are better but, I stick to "normal" mode.
  4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    For large dynamic range scenes, I'll set gradation to Auto. It drops the exposure a bit to preserve highlights and brings up the shadows. I don't use the in camera curves adjustments: too fiddly to use out in the field.
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If I'm shooting in high contrast areas I use auto, normal for controlled lighting situations and low if I'm shooting neutral light like on a cloudy day.
  6. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I think you can apply the current gradation setting to your RAW when you perform a RAW edit in body.