1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Who carries Micro Four Thirds 'round here?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by finerflower, Jan 13, 2015.

1. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Nobody has these cool little cams in their shops. I live only 2 hours from NYC (B&H/Adorama), however, there is NO DANG CAMERA STORES locally anymore! No one carries the Olympus or Panasonic lines.

OK. I know why. I am part of the problem. I am the queen of showrooming. However, I did buy (and pay sales tax on) my G6 directly from B&H, in NYC in 2013. Yes, I could have had it shipped to avoid the tax, but I wanted it, so I paid the tax. You have to go to that store just to see it in person. Quite an experience.

However, all I see at the local stores are 1) Canon, 2) Nikon, 3) Sony and sometimes 4) Fuji.
    Last weekend, my husband asked me if I was going to use my "Big" camera or "Little" camera. (G6 or GM1). I told him that I don't own any "Big" cameras anymore. I took him to Best Buy and showed him the Nikon D7100 and now he gets it.

My brother is a Canon Glass snob and he looks as if he has a baby the way he lugs that big diaper bag around.....

My husband forgot how big the SLRs in my past really were. LOL. He asked me if I wanted the D7100. I said nah, its a beautiful and fully capable piece, however I do photography for fun and I dont want to sprain my wrist. BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE DANG EM 1/5/10 or even the PENS IN A LOCAL PHILADELPHIA STORE. MAYBE I WOULD BUY IT!

• Like Like x 1
  2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    This any easier to get to?

Unique Photo
    123 US Hwy 46 (West)
    Fairfield, NJ, USA 07004

(973) 377-2007

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    No M4/3 in Philly? That makes me like your city a little less :(

(But I still really like it!)

• Like Like x 1
  4. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Olympus lists a few retailers in the Philly area, including a few in South Jersey. I've heard of T&F in Vineland and Classic in Runnemeade, and both are listed, although I don't know how much they stock. Allen's Camera in Levittown is listed, and they're supposed to be a pretty big store.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/oima_retailfinder.asp

5. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Thanks,

Classic in Runnemede had used film Olympus Cameras. Boo.

Everything else is not exactly close by. There used to be several stores right in center city. But all closed.

6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    We are down to one camera store in Tampa. Last time I was there they only had Canon and Nikon. When I was in Best Buy last week I walked over to the camera section and one of the employees asked me if they could help me. I asked if they sold any micro 4/3 cameras and was surprised when they said they did. They had one, the Olympus EM-10. That was it. and no lenses outside the one that came on the camera. But even that was more than I was expecting. They did have a nice selection of Sonys and some Fujis as well. In addition to Canon and Nikon of course. And the employee was actually fairly knowledgeable about photography. Much more so than I expected. If it wasn't for the internet and being able to order camera gear, I'd likely still be shooting Canon, or moved to Sony mirrorless, because there aren't many M4/3s options around here that I can find.

7. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I looked in Best Buy yesterday, and the only brands I noticed were Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Samsung (!?), the last I suppose coming on a pallet with televisions. TGFI. (thank goodness for Internet)

8. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I just got an email from Best Buy and it appears they have revamped some of their stores to contain a "camera store" inside with more camera gear and accessories. And people who know more about photography. They are even going to have basic photography classes. It just so happens the store I was in was one of three in the state of Florida they are putting these in. So, I was not in a typical Best Buy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Yes. Those Sony Alpha a7 cameras are really interesting...

10. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Yes, Samsung has cameras too. I had a wicked tiny TL100 point and shoot that took great images, however, the laggy shutter almost caused me to throw the friggin thing against a cement wall. My husband is now the proud owner of that hot mess. My GM1 is way better, no lag.