Who are some of your favorite photographers?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by LisaO, Mar 21, 2010.

1. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    After reading some of the threads here I have started thinking about some of my favorite photographers.

Here are some of mine:
    Julia Margaret Cameron
    Eugene Atget
    Bernice Abbot
    Gary Winogrand
    Imogen Cunningham
    Diane Arbus

I have more but this is a little sample. Who are your favorites?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Kertesz
    Walker Evans (camera named after him)
    Strand
    Winogrand
    McGuirk
    and on and on and on....

3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I don't know the work of McGuirk I will have to google him(?).
    Which McGuik? Is it Paul?

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

A quick comes to mind list not in any order:

Robert Capa, Ernst Haas, David Seymour, Adre Kertesz, Juliet Margaret Cameron, Werner Bischof.........Paul Strand...and on and on it goes...

5. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Lisa,
    Yes, it's Paul McGuirk. He actually just joined the forum here. He'll be posting soon but is busy working on an exhibition....
    www.pmphoto.com get's ya there...his new site will be launched shortly...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

There is a large bank of names from the past that created art form from their photography so many names that it would be endless, men and women who worked with glass plates and then large format film all who created masterpieces to remind us of history.

With the advent of the digital camera and digital processing we have had an explosion of gifted people who are creating a different kind of photographic art and my choices are people whose work I have admired that has been displayed on sites like this one and some of these people I have had the opportunity to meet on their own ground and spend time shooting, enjoying conversation with and generally drawn together because of our interest in our hobby.

My list would include:
    Jono Slack
    Adrian Oxbrow
    Tony Broughen
    Bent Lossing
    Ron Resnick
    ........and we have some pretty talented people on mu-4/3rds as well.

• Like Like x 2
  7. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    wow...I dont even know where to begin....

shooter
    Brian
    Bb
    tom
    Steve
    Amin
    Hodad
    Noodle
    Flyby
    Enrique
    Mr. Bill

to name a few :rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  8. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    • Like Like x 4
  9. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Pete - I hope that list is in the REVERSE order of importance

• Like Like x 2
  10. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    favourite photographers

Eugene Atget
    Ansel Adams
    Cindy Sherman
    Robert Mapplethorpe
    Duane Michels
    Stephen Dalton
    Colin Baxter
    Raymond Moore
    W Eugene Smith
    O Winston Link
    Bill Brandt
    David Bailey
    Duffy
    Terence Donovan
    Jaques Henri Lartique
    Henri Cartier Bresson
    Lee Miller
    Jane Bown
    Platon
    Don Mcullin
    Alberto Korda
    Galen Rowell
    Bob Carlos Clarke

11. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I resemble that remark...

12. Caroline

Caroline Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    London
    Mine are:

• Landscapes - Ansel Adams, simply incomparable, and how he did it with an 8 x 10 plate camera to haul around I really don't know!
    • Street - Henri Cartier-Bresson, he was one of the first street photographers and still one of the best ever
    • Portraits - Julia Margaret Cameron - admittedly I don't care for her staged photos with the fake "fairies" but her portraits were so insightful and really capture the character of her subjects - the first "Rembrandt" of the camera, in my opinion

Others:
    • Man Ray
    • Joe Cornish
    • Charlie Waite
    • already mentioned - Robert Mapplethorpe and Galen Rowell

there are lots of others too but so many to choose from and if I start to list them I will probably run out of space!

Caroline

13. EasyEd

EasyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey All,

Here are mine - starting with...

The best...

• Landscapes - Ansel Adams - As cliche as it really is - is there any more to be said? Well maybe Weston...:smile:
    • Street - Certainly Henri Cartier-Bresson and Diane Arbus are up there but I count photojournalists as street photographers and as such I vote Dorothea Lange as my personal best ever.
    • Portraits - Easily Yousuf Karsh - his iconic portraits of Kennedy, Kruschev, Churchill, Einstein, Castro, Hemingway etc etc etc - who can match those?

The rest...

What I have found is there are a tremendous number of great photographers out there (too many to list actually) however I find I tend to like singular images (or groups of images) by them individually - it is hard to find other photographers whose entire (or most of it) body of work I can admire. I also find that many of the "pros" do work that is so technically (composition, light, exposure, etc) perfect that it actually leaves me cold. With all that said I'm really hesitant to put up a photographer whose work I really admire and aspire towards for fear of being laughed at. But that's OK go ahead :biggrin: laugh.

I'm basically a landscape person and so here is a person who I do not know in any way shape or form whose work I keep coming back to over and over and over again for at least the past year. A housewife and freelance photographer who's most advanced camera is a Canon 50D.

http://photosecosse.com/ Enjoy the slide show and if your interested do look at some of her other work.

The consistency of "nailing" the all the elements of composition without color being overly dominant just leaves me in awe. I'm searching for other "mentors" that are this consistent in other areas of photography I'm interested in.

-Ed-

• Like Like x 2
  14. graustark

graustark Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA
    To be honest, I get more inspiration from things my Flickr contacts post than from famous photographers. That said, I found the work of Jerry Uelsmann inspiring when I was studying art in college. And if had only not been afraid of cameras, I could have taken a class from him ...

I do look a lot at paintings, and some of my favorites there are Yves Tanguy, Odilon Redon, Anselm Keifer, Robert Smithson (ok, not really a painter), Pat Steir, Guillermo Kuitka, Ross Bleckner and Paul Klee, to name a few. I think my aesthetic may be a little different than most here ... sometimes I'm not sure how that fits into the prevailing discussions.

• Like Like x 2
  15. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    • Like Like x 2
  16. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    But you can't help being influenced in some way by what you see online, in a museum, newspaper, magazine, ad, poster etc.

Unless you live in a hut in the woods with no communication to the world you have points of reference. Obviously we are all here looking at each others work and many if not all frequent many sites, pass billboards, signs etc.

If anyone has studied photography chances it involved some photo history. I think it next to impossible not to be influenced in some way by what you see. The writer has previously admired the work of others with issues of B&W and Lens Work he is avoiding. It seems to me that it is an exercise that he is performing. The history is already in his head anyway.

17. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Hi Lisa,

Agreed. I think he is just trying to, in his own way stimulate our soul into a fresh and new approach. I have to believe even he appreciates good photography.

Me on the other hand....if its windy....I'm blown in that direction until I figure out how to stop.

At least you took the dare :)

thanks Lisa,

Pete

18. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Here are some Japanese names for you:

Fukuhara Rosō
    Kikai Hiroh
    Kimura Ihei
    Kurata Seiji
    Nagano Shigeichi
    Shiotani Teikō
    Takanashi Yutaka
    Ueda Shōji
    Yasui Nakaji

All names in the correct order: surname first.

There are others besides, but the omission of the four or five most famous names is entirely deliberate.

19. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks for that link Pete, a very interesting perspective... perhaps Cole had reached a level of visual awareness that he was ready to 'fly the nest' and do his own thing for a while.

I sometimes wonder whether 'style' is shorthand for 'similar' or 'predictable' which is a negative for me... I want to continue learning and exploring - and exploring through a variety of photographer's work seems to be an effective approach.

Personally, I've enjoyed Phil Douglis' work through his amazing pbase resource - because it's interactive and Phil is so generous in his teaching. I enjoy the work of these masters of photography - but to be honest, the on-line work feels more immediate, more alive and more relevant to where I'm going...

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  20. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    The work of others.

Its fascinating seeing some of these names, some I know well and others I don't. I shall be investigating a few of these.

The notion of not looking at others work to preserve your own "artistic purity" is an interesting one, but not one I would subscribe to. The idea of looking at others work is surely to enjoy it, rather than try to emulate it.

I love Stephen Daltons wildlife images, but won't be setting up a high speed flash rig in a barn anytime soon. Much as I enjoy the work of Robert Mapplethorpe and Bob Carlos Clarke I doubt that I will attempting to photograph the subject matter that made some of their images so notorious.

I've had the good fortune to be able to see a fair amount of the work of the photographers I like on gallery walls and for me that adds a great deal to my enjoyment of their work. An Ansel Adams print "in the flesh" is a thing of rare beauty.

We all take in influences from what we see, and absorbing the vision of some of the most influential photographers probably does us more good than harm.

Finally there is the famous quote from Pablo Picasso:-
    Bad artists copy. Great artists steal.