1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Whither Flickr?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ex machina, Feb 3, 2016.

Tags:

Will Yahoo's restructuring cause you to:

Poll closed Feb 10, 2016.
  1. Bunker down with Flickr for the long haul

52.0%
  2. Actively start looking for Flickr alternatives

12.0%
  3. Worry

20.0%
  4. Curse the fickle Yahoo investors

8.0%
  5. What's a Flickr?

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
  2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm not sure when it happened, but my uploaded files seem to have their quality downgraded on flicker these days. Maybe time for 500px?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Flickr did change their compression a few months back.

4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I guess now they will never fix their terrible iPad app.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Figures, two days after I renewed. Wish Yahoo would have sold flickr before Ms.Mayer started dictating what the users should want, rather than listening to what they wanted. And who can forget when she announced her first changes by insulting Professional photographers:

• Like Like x 2
  6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I suppose most people have free flickr accounts and if it goes away, it goes away.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    not mentioned by name but this is probably relevant:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    EITHER Yahoo will sell Flickr to some company that values the size of the user base. New owner will then pour money into Flickr and attempt to "monetize" and "socialize" and "mobilize" the Flickr experience until it begins to resemble Instagram. There will be a lot of grumbling as users deal with rapidly deployed and perhaps some half-baked idea that alienate the user base in an attempt to attract a hipper, younger, audience. The old guard won't be happy and will grumble online.

OR Google will buy Flickr and pour everything and everyone into their photo platform as a means of buying scale and legitimacy. The old guard won't be happy and will grumble online.

• Like Like x 2
  9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I didn't even know Yahoo! still existed.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've had both Flickr and 500px for a while now. I have to say that I'm not entirely happy with 500px either.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I think their iPad app is quite good...

I like Flickr quite a bit, but I haven't been a heavy user for longer than the last couple of years. I'm not sure what changes they've made to burn long-time users, but since I've been using it they've improved the aesthetics of their site and maintained some really good functionality at an incredible price (free). Hope they continue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    iPad Flickr keept crashing for me, still does, thought it was my iPad at first but reading comments further afield it seems to be a common experience. I now have FlckStackr installed, works fine, no crashing and it allows BB codes to be copied within the app.

• Like Like x 1
  13. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    in other words, no change from yahoo's takeover.

The ownership's been neglecting it for years, implementing half-baked redesigns and pissing off their core users. Not a new thing. edit: oh yeah, they fired all the core engineering talent a long time ago.

I'd love to see someone buy it, but the number of companies that could afford to do so are pretty small, I think. Flickr's assets are likely their creative commons licensed imagery. Instant stock photo collection. I expect this is why they've spent some effort developing an auto-tagging UI.

Between stock photos and users, Flickr'd be valued somewhere in the billions of dollars. Multiple.

I pity anyone buying them having to extricate all that hardware and software from Yahoo's systems which they spent the past 5 years integrating. Poorly.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Flickr is the one decent thing Yahoo has, despite their best efforts to screw it up. The rest of their sites are mostly click bait and horrible "journalism" and "blogs". Kinda hope someone else wants it (but not facebook please).

15. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    My results also. I like the Flickr app, except that you can't get the comment to respond like on a PC. Mine crashes so much that I can barely use it. It is better on my iPhone, but the photos end up being tiny.

I will give FlckStackr a try.

16. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ

Contrary to popular belief, I think they've done ok with the user experience and have implemented small changes over time that make things nicer than they were 5 years ago. They still haven't figured out how to build a social community though.

17. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Superficially some of their redesigns have been nice, but I don't think they were particularly well-implemented.

The photostream displays smaller images with gradients super-imposed over them to make the text stand out. If I wanted a gradient in the top of the image, I'd add one. They've had to tweak their infinite scroll on the photo streams a few times and it's still not very good. I've done memory and performance analyses on these pages and they're extremely heavy. They had parallax scrolling at one point and took it out because of performance issues... I could go on.

As for the social community, I think they'd love to be rid of it, but can't bring themselves to cut out the Groups feature altogether. None of their mobile apps support Group discussions and the UI to get to it has been buried behind several layers of links on the desktop site. I'm guessing maybe 20% of their users are even aware of them. None of their mobile apps support group features except for adding photos to them and even that's harder than it should be.

It sucks! I've been a paid "Pro" member for 10 years and have slowly watched the usability of the service erode to the point that I've been shopping for alternatives. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that ticks all the boxes. I'd love to think it could be good again, but given the layoffs and a potential awkward transition phase, it doesn't seem likely.

I think groups such as this one are far better as a social community.

18. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    On the desktop, the streams only show the gradients and text on rollover otherwise you just get a masonry tile of images. People grumbled when the masonry tile was introduced because they wanted white space around their photos but that would have meant fewer photos per page and more paging. The actual photos are now against a nice neutral grey.

And yes, the stream pages are heavy. They are, after all, a wall of images. Are the stream pages any heavier than a Google Images search page? I've led web design teams where we've had to balance functionality with design with bandwidth. Each one affects the other. It's a delicate balance.

And I can't see them cutting out Groups although I'd like them to rethink them completely. Image dumping into groups degrades overall quality. They should partner with Meetup and have Flickr Meetup groups around the country and world. Photo walks, critiques, shows, events. That would be cool and something that Flickr can own.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I like Flickr. It's my favourite photo sharing service, purely from a personal use point of view. I don't really care about exposure or likes or anything (I certainly do nothing to promote my images), I just want a convenient, easy to use service with lots of options, good quality, and easy navigation. Flickr ticks the boxes. It also integrates directly with Lightroom as a publish option, so I can instantly upload my images with no hassle once I'm done processing them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I am not a big "social network" person but I still find it hard to understand why in today's age they weren't selling this feature rather than hiding it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1