whites turning purple w/ Olympus OMD EM10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by alder, Jan 3, 2016.

1. alder

alder Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 3, 2016
    Hi! New user here.
    [This is a repost of a question I asked on dpreview. The nice folks over there suggested I repost here.]

I recently bought an Olympus OMD EM10 mirrorless camera (my first non-point and shoot!)
    In general, it's been awesome, with one exception: Bright whites, such as a bright sky or running water, tend to turn out purple.

In general, using a faster shutter speed will decrease the purple effect, although not always, but then I get darker pictures or can't take long exposure water shots.
    I've tried setting the white balance to sunny instead of auto, and also taking the photos in purely iAuto mode, with basically the same results.
    I've also tried resetting the camera.

I know that shooting in RAW can probably take care of these issues, but I'm still a pretty casual user and I'd like to stick to JPEG if possible.
    Does anyone know a quick fix?
    The camera's still under warranty--should I try to get a replacement?

I included some example pictures.

Thanks for the help!

451c90f1c4ee43b2943ed1c06b7b29a9.

139df94eda12471887af3c89c814d363.

000f2d6d86bf47189222c9fe9b0046e6.

475c612659be4fbdbeee7dc8aa1b8853.

2. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    That is certainly not normal behaviour for this camera.

What software are you using to view the jpg? It almost looks like the software is drawing your attention to blown highlights, rather than something actually in the file.

Do you see this in the viewfinder or rear display when composing the photo? Or when reviewing in camera?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. alder

alder Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 3, 2016
    I'm using a standard Linux distribution Image Viewer to view images on my computer.
    I don't see the purple in the display when composing, but it does show up in reviewing on the camera.

4. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I don't know if such is normal but it seems to appear in all areas in which you exceed the dynamic range of the sensor. What does the histogram show?

5. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    As you say it appears when reviewing in camera as well as viewing on the computer, it seems it really is baked into the jpg file. I also read your dpreview thread where you ruled out an issue arising from use of an art filter. I am at a loss as to what is happening. When I blow out highlights with my EM10 they appear white, I never remember seeing this colour effect. While blown highlights are not ideal as there is no real data in these areas, they cannot always be avoided and should not produce something as distracting as this.

6. alder

alder Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 3, 2016
    Here's a histogram (sorry it's so huge!!) and image:

[​IMG] hist.

b7c0bc75536741f9a8b01d8c5b377d7a.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. alder

alder Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 3, 2016
    Ok, got it. Would you suggest trying to get a replacement camera body?

8. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Very odd.
    See if the RAW image has the same problem. Install Olympus Viewer and have a look.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Can you post up a raw file for us to look at?

10. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I notice you are using Auto white balance. This can skew the whites

11. alder

alder Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 3, 2016
    I'm running a Linux distro on this computer so I can't install Olympus viewer right now.
    I uploaded a RAW for the previous photo here: P1031241.ORF

Michael: I've tried using Auto WB and Sunny WB, with the same effect...are there other options that might help?

Thanks for the help, everyone!

12. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I've just downloaded the raw file and taken a look.
    The image is just over half a stop under exposed, so it's not a blown highlight by any means.
    It's a definite colour shift, and can be picked out with the white balance dropper for a very, erm....... "interesting" take on the white balance.

I would strongly suggest getting it looked at.

13. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    What ISO are you using? Are you using a native ISO (200-12800), or an extended ISO (<200, >12800)?

I've seen this on my GH4 when I shot at ISO 100 (extended ISO) and tried to pull back the highlights, where they turned from white to purple. If you shot these with extended ISO turned on, try turning it off and shooting some more images.

14. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Wow. The purple blob is there, in the RAW file too. And the blob extends outside of what Darktable and Rawtherapee consider clipped (even looking at single channels). I think it is a damaged sensor, or processor. Something for sure.

You could try to reset the camera from the wrench menu but there is really no setting that could produce something like this.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea - same problem with Lightroom too. Never seen anything like it before. I'm pretty sure you've got a problem with the camera.

16. alder

alder Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 3, 2016
    I've always been using ISO on AUTO. But now I just tried messing with it (changing it from Auto to ISO 400) and it seems to correct the problem!
    At the bottom of the post is the ISO AUTO, followed by ISO 400.

Shouldn't the ISO AUTO default to an ISO that's more reasonable, though?! Thanks for everyone's help!

P1031253.JPG P1031254.JPG

17. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Your original raw was at ISO 100 - which is a "spoof" ISO. Essentially an overexposed ISO 200 shot with the highlights pulled back in PP. I'm guessing that the pulling back is asymmetric over the channels which is what's causing the purple cast.

I hardly ever use ISO 100 (for fear of blown highlights!) so this might actually be normal behaviour. I'll do a test tomorrow (11pm here in the UK!).

As regards the ISO used in auto ISO - you can set the high and low limits (usually 200 is the low limit) ..... BUT, if the camera hits the fastest shutter speed at ISO 200, it'll drop the ISO down irrespective of the lower auto limit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That shouldn't happen. If blown, it should just be blown white.

19. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If you can return it for a replacement - I would do so. If you've had to long for that that I'd send it for warranty repair, in the US - Olympus Service & Repair

20. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @alder@alder, glad to hear that that solved the problem. When I saw your images, that's the first thing that popped in to my mind as I've seen it before when shooting at ISO 100 and trying to pull the highlights back.

I honestly don't know why it happens. Initially I thought it was a Panasonic sensor thing (since I'm using a GH4), but if the occurred with your E-M10, that uses a Sony sensor.

I would go in to your settings and disable extended ISO (or whatever Olympus calls it), and you will still be able to shoot on auto ISO, but it won't go below the native ISO of the sensor (ISO 200).

I'm kinda bummed by this though, as I would LOVE to get a sensor with a native low ISO of 100, even if it meant sacrificing the native high ISO to a max of 6400 (how many people shoot above 6400 on m43 anyways? The results are pretty rubbish). By giving us a lower native ISO, it would result in the ability to shoot longer exposures, yield cleaner files in terms of noise, etc. Maybe one day...

• Informative Informative x 1