White-throated dipper sesssion

PeHa

Mu-43 All-Pro
This bird may not look much and certainly not like a waterfowl but it swims and dives while looking for food in the icy rapids. It's also Norways national bird. I was following them for some hours today, climbing along the rapids, it's quite a fascinating bird (and so is the environment ).
32958273866_c42d39df25_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

32184496113_5e808ea74e_o.jpg

32184496333_7ed7d0a609_o.jpg

32617909430_26d9f7a258_o.jpg

32154997494_d2ddfd3587_o.jpg

32844728602_d422ce2062_o.jpg

32958274486_55b690bdee_o.jpg

32184497163_f78f551a89_o.jpg

32958274986_db73292252_o.jpg

32154997764_a2638968b2_o.jpg

Phocal

God
Cool shots and interesting information about the bird, it doesn't look like a bird that would I think swam on a regular basis. It's small size and the white with dark feathers makes for a difficult bird to capture and expose for.

PeHa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Cool shots and interesting information about the bird, it doesn't look like a bird that would I think swam on a regular basis. It's small size and the white with dark feathers makes for a difficult bird to capture and expose for.
Thanks! You're right, it doesn't look like a swimming&diving bird and it's the only species within its order (passerines) that can. It was an enjoyable shooting trekking along the rapids, climbing to get pass fallen trees, bushes and ice areas (some similar issues to gator shooting I guess thou you don't need to care about ice :) ). And I would say m43 is the perfect kind of equipment for it, no need to lug around with heavier stuff.

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
There are actually five species of dipper. They all live in and around cool mountain streams. And, yes, they are the only swimming passerines.

Phocal

God
Thanks! You're right, it doesn't look like a swimming&diving bird and it's the only species within its order (passerines) that can. It was an enjoyable shooting trekking along the rapids, climbing to get pass fallen trees, bushes and ice areas (some similar issues to gator shooting I guess thou you don't need to care about ice :) ). And I would say m43 is the perfect kind of equipment for it, no need to lug around with heavier stuff.

I am glad I don't have ice to contend with, left that a while ago when I moved from the Pacific Northwest to Texas.

Sounds like a really interesting bird and one that would be a lot of fun watching and photographing. I have to agree about m4/3 being the perfect kit, it's one of the main reason I switched. I have to ask, what lens/es were you using?

Edit - I clicked thru and saw that it was the 300/4 :blush:

PeHa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Edit - I clicked thru and saw that it was the 300/4 :blush:
Yes, I still have and adore the FT 150 (also with extenders) but for birds, especially small ones, the extra reach with the 300&1.4 TC is really valuable. However, when I look at the images here, I should have complemented with a couple of widefield shots of the landscape.... well, next time :rolleyes-38:

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
Seeing a dipper in the Rocky Mountains is one of the most memorable bird sightings I have ever had. It's just fun to watch them feed in the cold mountain water.

Last edited:

PeHa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Seeing a dipper in the Rocky Mountains is one of the most memorable birds sightings I have ever had. It's just fun to watch them feed in the cold mountain water.
Agree on that too :) Fun to watch and following them (normally just one or a couple in the same place) gets you, or at least me, hooked. But it's not that easy to carry that feeling on to the images. Seven or eight years ago I took a lot of images of dippers and made a collage that I thought was great and expected a lot of positive response but just had some yawns... Well, well, now I just enjoy the photographing, it was great fun yesterday!

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
What a neat little bird and very interesting behavior. Very well taken and its one I've never seen posted before on the net. 10 out of 10.

All the best and thanks for the post. You learn something new every day.

Danny.

Clicka

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Peter Campbell
Dippers are great little birds to watch in action. I caught one of our American dippers fishing in a local stream a couple years back. 75-300@300 + em5 so not the best kit to catch such a quick little bird in dim light.
I enjoyed your shots of his European cousin.

P4030030.jpg
P4030032.jpg
P4030033.jpg
P4030035.jpg

Last edited:

PeHa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Dippers are great little birds to watch in action. I caught one of our American dippers fishing in a local stream a couple years back. 75-300@300 + em5 so not the best kit to catch such a quick little bird in dim light.
I enjoyed your shots of his European cousin.
Good to see the american version, it's obvious that they're related, nice photos of that food catch ;) You're right that the light can be dim which makes action imaging hard. I kept ISO down to prioritize low noise, next time I'll probably accept higher ISOs to save more of the diving and flying scenes.
This was actually my first real photo trial with the E-M1 mk II so I experimented with features like Pro Cap to get action scenes but just filled the buffer and locked the camera... will take some settings work and learning...

Latest threads

Top Bottom