White squares in VF-2 on E-PL2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Replytoken, May 19, 2012.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    There was nice morning light today, so I decided to take advantage of it and head out in my wife's garden for some flower shots. I almost always use the VF-2 w/my E-PL2 since purchasing it, and for the most part have been happy with it, albeit I have only had it for a month. But, while I was focusing in S-AF+M and S-AF modes, white squares, similar to the green focus squares, randomly appeared on screen while I was moving back and forth to see if I was within or outside of the minimum focus distance. Does anybody know if these are normal? I can provide more details if that would help explain their presence.

Thanks,

--Ken

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I get those on the screen (don't have the VF) on my E-P3 sometimes. I've never looked into what they are so I'll keep an eye on this thread too!

3. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    If it's a white box, that's probably face detect. Do you have face detect enabled? I never used to use it on my e-pl1, but I have left it on on my OM-D, and I have found it to be very liberal in its interpretation of what is and is not a face.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thank you for the information. I thought I had disabled face detect, but things get changed often as I am still getting familiar with the E-PL2's specific options. I am sure that my wife will be glad to hear that her flowers have faces. Or perhaps she will be frightened, especially if any plants call themselves Audrey! :eek: 

--Ken

5. olydebut

olydebut Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
  6. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Yes, I just checked and I do have face detect on.

Thank you ill_dawg for the answer, and thank you Replytoken for asking the question.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.