White Mountain and bristlecone pines

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dhazeghi, Oct 20, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    From 2 weeks ago, in eastern California's White Mountain range. It's a popular area for photography workshops (we met at least 2 workshops during our time there), but I like to split my time between photography and hiking.

All taken with the E-M5 and ZD 12-60 (4/3).

Sunrise above Patriarch Grove

Bristlecone pine wood

Eastern slopes and Nevada

White Mountain Peak

White Mountain road at sunrise

Sunrise on White Mountain

A bristlecone pine
    • Like Like x 16
  2. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    I really enjoy the color and pattern of the first two.
    thanks for sharing. Great location.
  3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Dara, that's some amazing shooting.
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    The colors of the sunrise shots are marvelous! Really beautiful countryside, looks like a terrific place to hike. No wonder there are photo workshops. :cool:
  5. North20

North20 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    East of the Cascades, PNW
    Great images of a starkly beautiful landscape.

It's been a couple of decades since I was last in the White Mtns. I spent more time there in the winter & spring seasons ski touring once upon a time. Thanks for resurrecting some good memories :smile:
  6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, and every ~ July 4 the trivalley stargazers have a event that lasts a week at the UC Berkeley high altitude research Barcroft Station for some amazing astro fun.

If you acclimate to the altitude (~13,500 feet) a few days in advance it really helps quite a bit. I once drove from SF to the station in 7 hours ... very bad idea - might even prove fatal in some cases.

The trees are really remarkable. The health 'normal' looking once on flat ground are likely not going to make it. The gnarly twisted on a steep slope looking half dead are the ones that might be 4000 years old. Yup, some of those trees are >5000 years old. Oldest living things on the planet.
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for all the feedback! It's well worth a visit for any of you who are in the CA/NV area, especially toward the end of the season (October) when it's not too hot and there may even be a little snow to add to the landscape.

Yeah, acclimatization is key. We stayed at the Crooked Creek station the night before climbing the peak.

I'm thinking that for next year, I'll do White Mountain as a night hike and try and capture sunrise from the summit. Probably need an extra day to get used to the altitude though.

Yes, and some knucklehead grad. student cut down a 4800 year old one just to see how old it was. :eek:
  8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Talk about excellent eyes. Beautiful shots, wonderful landscape. California is so diversely beautiful.
  9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes one day at least. Even one night at Grand View campground and a night at Crooked Creek (for some reason I remember the name as Cripple Creek) will set one in good order (unless other health problems are present) for the altitude.

Funny thing is for the number of times I've been there most has been spent sleeping during the day and being up all night doing astro stuff so I never really got a good look at the place!

Watch out for sunburn ... that thin air lets through much more UV and I got a really bad sunburn one trip in just an hour or so.
  10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Every one is beautiful, your picture threads never disappoint. :smile:
  11. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Really fine images from one of my favorite areas, the Eastern Sierra Nevada. If you ever go through Lone Pine don't miss the Lone Pine Film History Museum--lots of old movie artifacts, posters, etc.
  12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Glad this thread got bumped back up, missed it the first time around.
    Excellent shots mate....love the winding road shot because I'm a sucker for the layered look to the mountains in the background. Solid set.
  13. I purchased and used a Pulse Oximeter for my mountain trips. Gives useful numbers to act upon. Once one told me to get lower ASL while in Silverton, Co.
    • Like Like x 1