White GF3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by deodeo, Jan 29, 2012.

1. deodeo

deodeo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Is it white paint over aluminum or anodized surface on aluminum? If it is paint, does anyone has experience on how durable it is to scratch and wear?

I like the white GF3, but worry about it will get ugly if it is paint and not durable.

Thanks,

2. cz9h3d

cz9h3d Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    SE Michigan
    Kevin
    I'll let you know in a few days... I have a month old black GF3, but have a white one coming in order to get the PZ 14-42 lens. I'm going to keep the white one. Obviously I was thinking "traditional" and "professional looking" when I ordered my black one - but now I'm ready to get something different - looks good with the gray lens too...

I'm sure with enough bumps, drops (gasp!), that the white will probably show its age more than the black. Of course, I've never dropped a camera, nor have I ever put a mark on a black camera.

3. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    I have a white GF3. To be honest I have no idea what the finish is, but it doesn't feel like paint. Feels pretty durable and looks as new having spent 6 months unprotected in various pockets. I put it in a case when it goes in a larger bag.

I'm generally very impressed, though as you know, you give up some versatility for the size.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Black can show wear too. The surface under the black paint is not black, it's light-colored metal. The lighter cameras (like the E-PLx and E-PM1) are made with an aluminum surface, whereas the heavier ones (like the E-Px) are made with metal-alloy (I don't know the compound used anymore, but it used to be magnesium-alloy years ago) as well as aluminum.

My E-PL2 certainly shows wear from where the black has worn down to bare metal, and black being a darker color contrasts with the bare metal and shows that much more. White, if anything, would better match the light metal color and make it less noticeable. I don't know why people worry about wear on white but not on black... xP

5. deodeo

deodeo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Ned, that is a good point. Agree