1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

White Cloud Chronicles – A visual adventure through New Zealand

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by simantics, Aug 10, 2013.

1. simantics

simantics New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2012
    I'm not a landscape photographer. I like looking at landscapes but was never into taking any of my own. This all changed during my 10 day trip around New Zealand's South Island, one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

White Cloud Chronicles Gallery

All the shots except one were taken with my Olympus OM-D E-M5. The other was taken with a Panasonic GF1. I think the breakdown of lenses was Panasonic 25mm 1.4 (50%), Panasonic 14mm 2.5 (35%) and Olympus 75mm 1.8 (15%).

Ten days. That's how long I had to explore the South Island – not enough by any measure. I doubt you'll be able to see everything that this stretch of land has to offer even in a life time, but I tried my best to see as much as I could.

More than 2000 kms, over 4,000 photos and around 30 keepers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Love the 2nd one! Also, I might have cropped the house and antennas out of the piano player.

Edit: Also 5,8,10

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Lovely shots, what lens was used for #2 and #4?

4. simantics

simantics New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2012
    Thanks! 2= 14 2.5 / 4= 25 1.4

5. Tarmo

Tarmo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    Nice! I think the street photography traits are visible in many of the pictures. I like your exposures and editing that preserve the rugged feeling of the landscapes. Have you been looking at Ansel Adams photos?

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey Sim nice to see you around here bro!. great shots! saw em in your blog!.

7. simantics

simantics New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2012
    I've seen Ansel Adams' photography – I like that work, but I wouldn't say it's an active influence on me.

Weirdly enough, even though I'm not a landscape photographer, I really like Trey Ratcliffe's work (Stuck In Customs | HDR Photography, Travel Photography and Camera Reviews) – I like his gritty landscapes and HDR work. I can't stand doing HDR myself, it's too finicky, but love looking at it.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    This one is breathtaking! :cloud-9-039:

9. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    The piano player photo is terrific, and the video was a nice touch on your website. Was it shot on the Olympus as well? And did you use the on-camera microphone?

10. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Wonderful set of images...really interesting. Really dig that you let shadows be shadows.

11. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    +1. :thumbup:

12. simantics

simantics New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2012
    Yes that was the OMD camera, switching between Panasonic 14mm and Oly 75mm. Onboard mic too. I'm not a videographer and I didn't have much time on my trip to edit it how I would've liked.

13. Kiwimac

Kiwimac New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2013
    Nice. I run photo tours around NZ so was able to ID most of the locations! That piano guy in Queenstown is a hoot

I usually tell clients 21 days is the minimum required to see both islands. I just got back yesterday from a 20 day trip in which we covered 4,500 km and 2 hours of helicopter charter time and we still left things out…!!

Nice images. I always try and convert clients to m43 as I am swapping my entire Nikon FX setup to a 2 body EM-1 setup as soon as we can actually get some EM-1's in NZ! The last shipment from Oz contained only 4 cameras I gather!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Lovely photos, many places I recognise. NZ is such a beautiful country full of interesting people, highly recommend a trip there. I am heading over there again in February for a couple of weeks and hopefully again later in the year for 2 weeks photographing around the top of the north island.