1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

White backgroud

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Plimsol, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    After years of using white paper rol backgrounds for modelshoot i want to choose a other color instead. I was thinking some kind of grey.
    What is the forum opinion about this?
    (i also use black and dark red)

Grtz
    Jean

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

2. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    A blue with green, grey and black looks nice :)

Heres an example of some that ive seen before and give good results

grunge2_backdrops.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My most used are White and Black, with white being predominantly more used by a large margin.

Since you already have both of those, I would not bother with a grey. Move the lights closer to your model and away from the background with your white roll, and you'll have that nice light grey. :)

Looking at what you have, I would say the most useful color for you would be Blue. A nice deep blue has quite a stark look to it.... And I guess you could use it for a bluescreen if shooting video too, lol. :thumbup:

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    You could always keep using white paper, just get some colored gels and shine that on the background to change the color ...

5. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    Thanks all.
    Yes i have the gels bud i was told the gels have more effect on grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App. English is not my main language.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes they do.... but keep in mind that white can essentially be grey too. :) It all depends on exposure and light fall-off.

7. Capt T

Capt T Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2010
    If you use gel on any background then remember that is your starting point for the color. White will have less of an effect on the color coming from your light source than the grey. You can even try the gels to light the black background...it will soak up much of the light but can have a cool effect.