Whit balance

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Stanley W, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Stanley W

Stanley W Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi all
    Not sure whether it's appropriate to post here . What is the definition of a good auto white balance? A good wb is the camera takes wysiwyg or the camera takes what the object , which is currently in a tungsten bulb situation, will look like in natural white light?

Sorry if it has been posted before. Did a search on white balance. Nothing much concern the definition.

Thank you all ! Happy new year!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    the latter

cheers

• Like Like x 1
  3. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    On "auto" white balance the camera will try and "correct" any picture so that it would resemble the colours if taken outdoors under diffused light.

One of the main reasons they historically do this is because this is what the human eye/brain combination does as well.

Your brain will tell you a piece of white paper is "white" outside on a sunny day, cloudy day, inside under fluorescent, halogen, tungsten or candle lights. However if you measured the colour of the paper using equipment it would go from a light blue through to yellow.

Most recent m4/3 cameras are capable of matching what the eye/brain can do - these tend to be described as having a "good" white balance.

Historically this is where Olympus have had a slight edge over Panasonic (my wife's G3 is not the best at WB) but recent Panasonic models are better.

However it's possibly to fool all cameras by large areas of a single colour. This is why some people will shoot a reference card or set a "custom" white balance at the start of a session (or again if light conditions change during one).

Shooting in RAW format helps to avoid such issues as you can set/change the white balance at the post processing stage whereas for JPEG the white balance is set before the compression is done.

If you want to try this out shoot a few shots of a piece of white paper on a single colour towel or piece of cloth (eg reds, blue, green etc) one outdoors and one under indoor lighting in RAW+ JPEG format. Then import into an editor (Lightroom, Aputure or one if the free ones) and compare the RAW shots with the JPEG's whilst changing the white balance on the raw shots and compare the two RAW shots with the same white balance set for each.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Stanley W

Stanley W Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2013
    thank you very much everyone....
    i'll digest it :)
    happy new y ear!

6. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    IMO there are three types of WB that cameras can have:

-Accurate
    -Pleasing to the owner
    -Bad, neither of the first two options.

My Nikons have very accurate AWB, and to be pleasing to my eye, need a bump to A1 or A2 depending on the camera. Every modern Fuji I have used and most Pen's seems to create very pleasing WB to my eye. My Panasonic GF3 was what I would call bad, indoors the tones ran into blue or magenta, and while I could correct them on the spot, I'd have to re-correct them if lighting changed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stanley W

Stanley W Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2013
    Thanks!

8. Stanley W

Stanley W Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2013
    for example, this is under the actual orangy light, AWB
    11647169564_ce0254ed85_b.

Whereas, this is what i think would be like under white light (PP)
    11647170204_b72b2a3d8d_b.

In this case, i would think the former is more actual/pleasing......
    but if the theory of what is under white light..... then it will be the latter... correct?

9. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    The upper is definitely more pleasing. The bottom is very cool, it's hard to tell what is right without a white reference point, but that little piece of napkin/paper in the lower right corner seems a bit too blue.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stanley W

Stanley W Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2013
    Wow what sharp eyes u have!

• Like Like x 1
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That and the rice in the bowl on the left :tongue:

12. Stanley W

Stanley W Mu-43 Regular