While I'm not a fan of 'The Cloud'...

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
...I have discovered one good use for using it.

Today I received confirmation that a client wanted a photo that I took earlier this year over a power station and I offered both JPG and TIFF files so they had more options regarding their use. As the four files (standard resolution and up-rezzed) totalled 100MB, there was no way that I could send them via email. I did have a freeware version of some sort of large file delivery service, which restricted me to just one file at a time, which I'd deleted some time ago, so I needed something like that once again. This is the photo in question (E-M1, 35-100mm f2 handheld and taken from another helicopter):

jayrow0627lr.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So I started Googling options and OneDrive, Dropbox and others turned up, and I realised I had a OneDrive account because of Skype. A quick read and I found that I could drop the files into OneDrive (which didn't happen instantly), create a link to the folder, provide access for the client and send an email to the client all in a few minutes. It's all free, provides more than enough space for large files and is very easy to use. It does mean, I think, that the recipient needs a OneDrive account as well, but considering that the company is on Facebook etc, I doubt that will be an issue.

I'm certainly not going to backup my files on OneDrive, that happens with internal and external drives, but it turns out that this could be a very easy way to distribute large files anywhere, anytime. It's probably not news for long time Cloud users.

edwardconde

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have been using OneDrive for my film scans. It is really simple to setup and copying for me to OneDrive is pretty quick. As soon as my scanner finishes the scan it shows up in a couple of mins. Plus availability of access over many different devices & OSs it is really a great option to share and view from.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I can see why some like the use of this option, but I'm still very wary about using it for general storage (I couldn't hold my head up if all my naked shots were to get out :biggrin:). For image distribution it appears to be great, the client notified me not long after I sent them the link that they had them. It sure beats the system I was using previously and especially as it doesn't cost anything, as I don't intend to use it as a storage system, just a mail sorting house.

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't think i have any cloud options turned on right now.

I did use dropbox when it started but i didn't use it that much so i stopped alltogether. Will see if i will enable similar type of service for working on multiple devices (which i currently don't do).

As far as sending large files goes, i use a Croatian Internet provider that has a free version of a send-large files service (called jumbomail). You're limited to the files you have with you (and not on the cloud) but it's simple, effective and fast.

D

Deleted member 20897

I started doing digital delivery this way(Dropbox) starting January of 2014. So much more convenient than dropping off or mailing CD or DVDs.

Clients seem to love it as well, as they get access to their files quicker. A lot of them use an image cataloging tool on their computers, so they can import them directly.

it's definitely a great value add to provide to the clients when they require digital deliverables instead of or in conjunction to prints/books etcetera.

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
Yep! OneDrive is pretty excellent--especially with the new Office 365 pricing.

I also do what you've discovered.

I also use OneDrive to Sync files across two computers in two physical locations. the latter then has full image backups done weekly just in case the cloud is corrupted. I don't trust the cloud as a back up solutoin by itself, but it works well as a delivery mechanism to an external location backup. But I really should get a NAS up and running one of these days...

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I personally use Dropbox as a simple way to store/share files between all my devices, super simple, free and doesn't require anyone to have Dropbox if you want to share files as they can be accessed via a web interface.

The company I work for (50+ person web agency) migrated all of our file storage needs to Box.net, which has an very impressive offering -- our guys in IT are very happy with it, fwiw. Only problem I've run into is a 10GB file size cap, which I've run into this week in trying to archive a Final Cut Pro project. I believe we can ship Box a hard drive with these files but haven't heard back from IT yet.

RobWatson

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Google drive for 10GB ... seems like all the free ones top out at 10GB.

Box for $15/mo give unlimited storage. I think there is better security with box at the enterprise package that is not present at the lower 'flavors'.

I'm not worried about security as I use encrypted files anyway (means I am worried about security but take charge of that on my own).

I'm beginning to see the light on cloud storage after several close calls with local DIY storage/backups, etc.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
I use Dropbox which is great for me as I have a work laptop and my private one and as I commute by bicycle using Dropbox means no need to carry the laptop between work and home. Also works on my iPad and Android phone if desired.

For more secure non-synched storage I make use of https://mega.co.nz/ which has the added benefit of being able to sync any folder or file on my computer as opposed to say Dropbox which uses a Dropbox "folder." Mega Sync provides 50 GB of storage free as well.

Andrew

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
My entire photo and video library (general vicinity of half a terabyte) is backed up -- encrypted -- to my unlimited cloud backup service, Crashplan. It's not a generic file sharing/syncing service like OneDrive or Dropbox. I have both of those and was using Dropbox with reasonable contentment until they shut off my sharing ability due to sharing some video over to a couple people. Apparently there's a limit you're allowed to break exactly once; if you break it twice they will disable your public links forever unless you pay them. I don't know how to feel about that last part. Couldn't very well expect unlimited bandwidth from a completely free service, I guess? Folder sharing with other Dropbox users also seems a bit unstable.

I've also tested OneDrive but I find the interface to be junk. Getting a public/share link is a pain in the neck, and worse still I've had some sync issues. I tested Mega and was staggered by the unbelievably slow speeds. Perhaps I caught them on a bad day, but 20 KB/s uploads? That's simply insane. Then there's Google Drive, which I have a smallish amount of storage for (25 GB). I use docs all the time, but as a generic file store I'm not so sure. I have an iCloud free account but like hell I'm letting Apple manage any of my data.

Given the backdrop of a lot of events over the past two years, I'm probably going to shell out for Dropbox Pro and then layer Boxcryptor or CloudFogger over it, as Dropbox themselves quite obviously don't value privacy. They do however seem to have the basic interface, options, sync, etc down pretty well.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
My entire photo and video library (general vicinity of half a terabyte) is backed up -- encrypted -- to my unlimited cloud backup service, Crashplan. It's not a generic file sharing/syncing service like OneDrive or Dropbox. I have both of those and was using Dropbox with reasonable contentment until they shut off my sharing ability due to sharing some video over to a couple people. Apparently there's a limit you're allowed to break exactly once; if you break it twice they will disable your public links forever unless you pay them. I don't know how to feel about that last part. Couldn't very well expect unlimited bandwidth from a completely free service, I guess? Folder sharing with other Dropbox users also seems a bit unstable.

I've also tested OneDrive but I find the interface to be junk. Getting a public/share link is a pain in the neck, and worse still I've had some sync issues. I tested Mega and was staggered by the unbelievably slow speeds. Perhaps I caught them on a bad day, but 20 KB/s uploads? That's simply insane. Then there's Google Drive, which I have a smallish amount of storage for (25 GB). I use docs all the time, but as a generic file store I'm not so sure. I have an iCloud free account but like hell I'm letting Apple manage any of my data.

Given the backdrop of a lot of events over the past two years, I'm probably going to shell out for Dropbox Pro and then layer Boxcryptor or CloudFogger over it, as Dropbox themselves quite obviously don't value privacy. They do however seem to have the basic interface, options, sync, etc down pretty well.

If you want to share videos, sign up to Vimeo.

I'm surprised that you found the interface to be junk. Rather than trying to figure it out myself, I just Googled and found this very informative guide: http://office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=1989. I had OneDrive sussed out in minutes and a big set of files sent exclusively to the client.

Real Name
Andrew L
I'm another in favor of OneDrive. I use it for lots of private storage and a public access folder for my church's audio recordings, and it has always served admirably.
GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
If you want to share videos, sign up to Vimeo.
Vimeo is not an appropriate mechanism to transfer videos to National Geographic for final editing and publication.

I'm surprised that you found the interface to be junk. Rather than trying to figure it out myself, I just Googled and found this very informative guide: http://office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=1989. I had OneDrive sussed out in minutes and a big set of files sent exclusively to the client.
Dropbox doesn't require me to go running to their Web UI for a simple public link, which is 95% of what I use the UI for (apart from simple syncing). The website interfaces are about the same, I guess. Maybe even slightly nicer on the OneDrive side. But I don't WANT to drop into the website most of the time.

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
I'm actually a fan of "cloud" storage although not necessarily for backups. I actually have multiple cloud accounts including a 56GB Dropbox account, iCloud, GoogleDrive, Box and OneDrive.

There are so many useful ways to use cloud storage.

One use is for exactly what you describe, for easy sharing of files with shared folders that I can easily setup with a password that can be emailed or texted.

Another use for me is to be able to access files from wherever I may be without having to Remote Access my computer.

Another cool use for it is to drag and drop lossless music files into Dropbox and make a playlist that I can then playback from anywhere without having to use up precious storage on my phone.

My smartphone also backs up and dumps all my cell phone pics automatically to Dropbox so that I can delete them from my phone, yet still have access to them if needed, thereby saving more space on the phone.

Anyways, love the cloud although I'm not so sure I would put anything "sensitive" on there.

Latest threads

Top Bottom