1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which would you have been more interested in?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Feb 4, 2016.

1. The as-announced Pen-F

22 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. A Pen EP5 body with a Viewfinder, upgraded IBIS and sensor. everything else is EP5, and $899 price.

15 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Would not be interested in either

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Quick Poll: Which would you have been more interested in?

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That's an unfair poll question. Of course the 899 price sounds good, but I don't particularly like the EP5 overall feel (which surprised me, having liked the EP1).

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    From my perspective that may be the easiest poll ever.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    It's not unfair. The price is one of the differences. And if they were both priced at $899 I'd still choose WT21s new E-P5 over the F without a second thought.

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Olympus wouldn't add an EVF and keep the price the same (or cheaper than the EP5 debuted?). Not happenin'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    What is that thing in front of the on/off switch? Dial, switch?:hmmm:

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Shutter

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Of course, it does need one of those :rofl: and it's like the old one now that I look.

10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As long as you are being unrealistic on the price, why not make it $399?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    To make your poll question a bit more precise for people concerned about the pricing...

1) The as-announced Pen F
    2) An un-weathersealed E-M5 II with a corner viewfinder - i.e. an updated E-P5 with a viewfinder, for $899

Sounds realistic to me.

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

E-M5 II launched at $1099. I don't think sealing changes the price $200 and miniaturization is not free. At best they cancel each other out and you would be at cost parity with the E-M5 II.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd take the Pen-F as-is, but with weather sealing!

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The E-M5 II also has the more expensive EVF and associated optics used in the E-M1, while the PEN-F shares its EVF and most of its internals with the equally compact E-M10 II.

15. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I know there are some for whom denigrating the Pen-F amounts to a cause, but I like and am excited by the Pen -F announcement, the first Olympus body to truly excite me since the announcement of the E-M5. And I say that as a raw shooter, lest anyone raise the straw man of The Pen-F being a "jpeg shooters camera". I love the size and shape, and I think getting the on/off switch out of the way to the other side of the camera from the shooting controls is great. The dedicated exposure compensation dial is a plus for me (although using the front dial on the E-M5 works fine), and the simulated OVF is something I expect to use all the time. Slip the 14-42 EZ or the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 on it, and it is pretty much my "take anywhere" dream camera. The complaints seem to be that it is not a typical Pen, and it is not an OMD. Well, that's true. So what? Now I love my E-M5, and I don't expect to replace it with the Pen-F, but for the kind of shooting I mostly do these days, The Pen will be my primary shooter. Do I wish Olympus had done a few things differently? Yes, of course. And I wish my Leica X1 had a direct EC dial (like the Pen-F), but it is still a camera I love shooting with. The ability to reassign the front control and the inclusion of phase detection on the sensor would have been nice to have for the price, but the camera checks off everything I need.

16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Voilà. Weather sealing for the Pen-F :biggrin:
    PMPE-Sample-Files_1116_DAW.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The EP5 with lens and VF is $1099 Amazon.com : Olympus E-P5 16.1 MP Mirrorless Digital Camera with 3-Inch LCD and 17mm f/1.8 lens (Silver with Black Trim) : Compact System Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo

I thought $899 seemed appropriate, but feel free to think of it at $999 or $1099. I did't think $200 was a big swing, and I was trying to account for the fact that the Pen-F had other new things in it, that a recycled EP5 body maybe doesn't have. When adding in knobs and dials to appeal to the artsy crowd, that gives you a premium headway that an EP6 w/built-in viewfinder wouldn't have.

I also fixed your reply, unless you truly see no difference between $399 and $899

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Sorry. I'm not trying to dis the pen-f. TBH, the reason I asked the question is because of how little internet discussion the Pen-F is generating, compared to interest in previous Oly cameras. I was honestly wondering if Oly hit or missed their mark.

There are certainly more votes for the Pen-f, though I'm not clear if people are voting for the pen-f because they actually would want it, or if it's some sort of protest vote that the question was even asked.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  19. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Is there really much "miniaturization" between the PEN-F and E-M5 (or E-P5)? Compact Camera Meter

654-1-1. 594-1-1.

• Like Like x 1
  20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Aside from the form factor and the slightly higher res sensor, it's not really that novel. The xpro2, for example, was more distinct from its predecessor. I think that current OMD owners see it more as an alternative than a serious upgrade. The other problem is that we've pretty much talked this one out.

• Agree Agree x 1