Which would you get? The Oly 12mm f/2 or the Pany 25mm 1.4?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just recently acquired the 45 1.8 and love it. Now I'm debating whether or not to keep my 14 and get a 25 or sell the 14 and get the 12. I like the simplicity of a 2 lens kit, versus a 3 lens kit. The 12 is very pricey versus the 14, but after trying the 45 I realize Olympus lenses definitely have both a different rendering look and tactile feel which I think contributes to the overall shooting experience. For those who own both or tried either one, what's your thoughts? Thanks!

2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I've tried the 12 and the 25 and they both are nice, but if you have the 45 get the wide 12 or look at the 9-18 maybe.

3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't like variable aperture lenses, I was considering the 7-14, but I really like faster glass on m43. The 25 is tempting, but it's basically a 50mm equivalent, and it's just not my most inspiring focal length.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    If you prefer using fast primes over the slower zoom lenses, I would suggest the m4/3 trinity of 12, 25, and 45.

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i vote 12!
    its cuuuuuute!

6. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I would say you gotta have one of the pancakes. However, after unpacking the 45mm just minutes ago, I change my mind: This thing is suuuper tiny. It can go into a dust pouch and into my pocket.

Pair it up with a 12mm and be done. The hell with pancakes.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Not adding anything here, but if I could afford it, it'd be: 12, 25, 45 and then all we really need is a reasonably fast 100mm, and we've got the prime range pretty much covered!

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I like the Leica 25mm Summilux, but with the m.Zuiko 45mm I think your better pairing would be the m.Zuiko 12mm. That will cover your range from 12mm to 45mm, even better than the focal range of the kit lens, and will offer the same tactile feel and colors in both lenses.

25mm is too close of a focal length in my opinion. It'll be easier to step forwards or backwards from 25mm or 45mm then it would be to swap lenses.

9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Nooooooooo! Come back to the pancake side! *reaches out, straining, wiggling finger tips...*

My revised wish list is:
    17(a version thats sharp/f1.7 like the 20, but with better af) but until then the 20
    And one of the X-300 zooms... Still undecided on which I'd like better for motorcycle racing events

4 lenses isn't too much when only one of them is too big for a shirt pocket!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I don't have the 45mm but it looks very similar to the rangefinder lenses in style and design. It's amazing just how compact and unobtrusive those rangefinder lenses are!

11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Ned... Yer forgetting to mention how sexy they are... 1 demerit!;)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You're right! Compact, unobtrusive... and ├╝ber sexy!! :tongue:

13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I don't see the comparison of the 12 to the 25 at all?

The 12 is a very sweet lens. And I don't consider it to be anywhere near the 25mm for any purpose whatsoever. They are mutually exclusive in terms of applications as far as I'm concerned.

As for comparing the 12 to the 14... I have both and they're each great lenses, but I would pick the 12 over the 14 for sure.

14. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Panasonic lenses are big-boned...

The length of my new PL25 lens is similar to the 12mm, but the diameter of the 25 makes it feel bigger even than the actual volume difference somehow.

I am really digging the 25mm, but don't think I will give up my 20mm, just because of the physical size difference. It seems like it has to be holy trinity 12/25/45 plus a pancake or two! :biggrin:

15. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm starting to lean towards the 12 now. This may seem odd, but I like taking family portraits with my arm extended using the 14mm with the articulating screen on my G3! I figure the 12 would be better at this! Since both the 12 and 45 are MSC lenses, they'd be great for family videos, etc.

16. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    That's the sweet set-up, for sure. Toss in a 14-140 for particular applications and perhaps the 14-45 when one needs a single, versatile lens and one has an awesome kit to work with!

17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Backpedaling a bit now... I am not sure if I would have ordered the 12mm if I had the 14mm first, at least, if I would have been thinking about my bank statement. I picked up the 14mm to serve as my wife's pancake and I have been pretty impressed with the images. I just haven't been in a situation yet (indoors architecture, low light, etc.) where I used the 12 where the 14 wouldn't have worked as well.

I guess if I had to do it over again, and was budget-minded (my wife can tell ya this is pretty rare), I would have ordered the 14mm and then used the money saved to buy the PL25.

18. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I think the 14 is a reasonable alternative to the 12 if economy is important. But the field of view of a 24mm equivalent is a significant difference, to me, vs the FOV of a 28... especially for travel and interiors. Plus the extra speed is nice to have. Either the 14 or the 12 can serve reasonably well, relative to the other, but the difference in FOV and speed is something that many would find significant enough to warrant the additional cost for the 12.

19. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's the thing I was considering, with used prices of a 14mm, you can pretty much get a 14 and a 25 for the near the same price as a 12. Though the 12 is the ultimate m43 prime wide angle right now. My goal is to have a very simple yet high quality lens kit. Under 3 lenses, ideally 2.

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I bought the 12mm, but returned it. My stomach just wouldn't settle down with a lens that small and that expensive. I ended up with the 14, but might buy the 12 again used at a later date. But I'm more of a normal to moderate telephoto shooter than a wider shooter, so that much cash in wide angle didn't make sense for me. Nice lens, though.