Which would be a worthy replacement for my...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by winnie123, Aug 28, 2013.

1. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    As much as I love zoom photography I have found I am not using my zoom lens as much as I did previously. I believe this is in part because I now have a 20mm pancake lens and use this the majority of the time because it gives great results & is small & light. However I do miss zoom photography and believe the other reason I do not use my zoom more is because it is too big & heavy - I have the Lumix 45 - 200mm.

I have been looking at both the Lumix 45-150mm & 45 -175mm as possible replacements as both these lenses are smaller & lighter. Although I lose some reach with both I can live with that if it means that i will at least take it out of the house! They are not that far apart in price and I was leaning towards the 45-175 BUT then read some reviews about problems with image quality due to OIS issues, so was put off slightly.

Wondered if anyone had any experience of these lenses (or any other in a similar vain) & could offer advice re any known issues & IQ.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere - i couldn't see it.

Many thanks :smile:

2. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Hi Winnie123,
    I just made the change that you are considering. I chose the 45-150 because of the manual zoom. I prefer the manual over the power zoom since I never shoot video. For me the manual zoom is just more natural.
    Good luck,
    Todd

3. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    Hi Todd,
    Okay - so you only really benefit from a power zoom if you shoot a lot of video? I wasn't aware of that & as I don't shoot much video either that is something to consider when I finally decide which to go for. The only real reason I hadn't gone for the 45-150 immediately was because I wasn't sure if I wanted to lose that much of my current zoom capability.

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    In my experience, the Panasonic 45-150 and 45-175 are equivalent in optical quality and build quality. I would say get the 45-175 if you desire the power zoom, internal zoom and focus, and the slightly longer focal length enough to justify the added cost - otherwise get the 45-150.

I found that, with the upgraded firmware, the 45-175 works fine, and the OIS works as it should.

5. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    Thanks...good to know there is no real difference in optical performance or build. I think the reviews I read were probably over a year old so I would have hoped that they had addressed the OIS issue. :smile:

6. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    Okay - hadn't considered that one - assume its quite new? I guess that means you do away with the need for the kit lens at the same time.- food for thought :confused:

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Have you ever used power zoom before? If you have, then you will understand how grossly inferior it is to manual zoom unless you are going for a specific slow zoom in/out effect in your video. Chances are you have actually used power zoom... if you've ever picked up a point and shoot camera with the W-T switch to zoom from wide to tele, the power zoom lenses do the exact same thing. Personally, I only have one word to describe it - TEDIOUS.

What's worse are the lenses which also discard the focus ring and replace it with a power focus (which only works on bodies updated for it, of course - otherwise you'll have no MF at all). If you thought power zooming was tedious, power focusing is 50x worse (that's just an estimated number... in reality it could be anywhere between 20x-70x more tedious depending on the individual). ;)

Don't let my personal opinions influence you too much, though. I'm only giving one perspective on the matter. If you've used a point-and-shoot camera and an entry-level camcorder, then you already know how the power-zoom and maybe even the power-focus behaves, so you can decide for yourself if it will suit your needs. :)

In my opinion, coming from the perspective of a former professional videographer used to proper video cameras with all manual focus and zoom, I do not consider the power-zoom to be an effective strategy for video either. There is absolutely nothing that a consumer camera can do automatically that a skilled videographer cannot do significantly better manually with a professional camera. One of the great advantages of the Micro Four-Thirds system with video is being able to have all the basic manual lens and microphone functions of a professional video camera at the cost of a consumer camcorder, but with even greater versatility on mounts. Getting a power-zoom lens to work with video is basically going backwards by negating one of those advantages. Sticking with Autofocus in video is also negating the biggest advantage of the system over entry-level camcorders, in my opinion. With power zoom you are locked into one type of zoom only, plus you have less stoppage control. A manual zoom allows you to zoom in quick or zoom in slow, to vary your rate of zoom, stop quickly for dramatic effect or fade slowly for a calming effect, or anything else you want to do. Or you can pop on a prime lens and stick your camera on a dolly. ;) Of course, if you're inexperienced in such things then the power zoom may be a better option, I don't know... it's basically like the power zoom on a consumer-level camcorder, except slower (at least it seems quite slower than the camcorders I've used, which are on the upper end of camcorders). Though most of this paragraph is probably moot for you since you said you don't shoot much video. xD

8. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    I have limited experience of power zooms but as I use my camera almost exclusively for stills & taking into account the comments on this thread I do not think I want (or need) a power zoom especially if I have to pay a premium for it! I have been quite happy manually operating the zoom on my 45 - 200. I am also happy with the IQ. Love the fact that I can also get a nice blurred background when zoomed in with the 45 - 200, so don't want to lose that.

All things considered my only real issue with it is the size & weight, so ideally that is what I would like to change whilst keeping the things I like.

9. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    Yes - I would definitely keep the 20mm as am very pleased with the IQ & general low light performance. Probably wouldn't actually get rid of the 14 - 45 either as its a useful little lens & really not worth enough to bother selling. :smile:

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, all things considered I think the 45-150mm would be a good choice for you out of the ones you're considering. I don't think you'll miss the extra 25mm of the 45-175mm at all. Just step up a little closer. ;)

11. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    Thanks Ned :wink:

12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The 14-140 is heavier than the 45-200. If you think the 45-200 is big you'll hate the 14-140. If you must change, get the manual zoom.

Gordon

13. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    the new 14-140 is only 265g, much lighter than 45-200mm's 380g

14. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    Thanks for your help Guys. I think I just need to pop along to my local shop (SRS Microsystems - btw - wonderful shop for all things Photography :wink:)and try them out on my G3 to test the weight & size in comparison to the 45 - 200.

Thanks again :2thumbs:

15. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    When it was introduced, there were many reports of sharpness issues with the 45-175 at certain shutter speeds. The thought was that this was related to the OIS mechanism in this lens, but it occurred whether OIS was turned on or off.

I don't know if this was ever fixed, as Panasonic never officially acknowledged the issue, but I've avoided this lens for just that reason. The 45-150 is remarkably small and light, and IQ seems to be above average for a consumer grade zoom. I chose the 25-150 as a small, travel zoom, and so far I'm happy with it. It's not the equal of the 35-100, but then it's about 20% of the price of that lens, too.

16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    This is not a sharpness issue - it's a resonance shutter vibration issue particular to the G5 + 45-175mm combination. In my experience, the new firmware has largely resulted in the OIS cleaning it up. Prior to that, using the electronic shutter eliminated the problem, but there are constraints (ISO and Shutter Speed limitations) as to when the electronic shutter can be used