Which will provide the better Image Quality??? X100 vs OM-D

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by sloppyjoe123, Aug 11, 2012.

1. sloppyjoe123

sloppyjoe123 New to Mu-43

Aug 11, 2012
    Right now, I am looking for a 35mm lens equiv, and the 20mm doesnt fit my way of shooting.

So, currently I am looking at a Voigtlander 17.5mm f 0.95 for my OM-D EM5.

But at that price, I can purchase a Black Fuji X100 set, with an extra battery for just a bit more.

I didn't know which one to get as the Voigtlander will be heavy, but at the same time the X100 will mean I will have to carry around a extra charger, more batteries when I am travelling. Any Opinions?

But, the main question is, I wanna know which will provide the better image quality. OM-D with Voigtlander 17.5mm 0.95 OR Fuji X100.

I am aware that the Voigtlander 17.5mm will come to about 35mm f2.0 (Not sure if I am right on the f2.0 part) on a FF equiv. which is comparable to the X100.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    With a high-quality lens like the Nokton, the E-M5 wins hands down! Cameras rely on optics and have for a century. They make use of but don't rely on computers and electronics. Never forget that. :)

That Nokton will still take amazing photos for decades and decades to come, and can be paired up with the latest in sensor and body technology as the years pile on... long, long after that X100 is obsolete and outdated.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Once you handle the X100 though , it's a great camera, it does everything well IMO except you can hook up a remote to it. I traded mine cos I needed some extra focal lengths & didn't have the cash to hang onto it but wish I still had it

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The Nokton lens is no doubt much better. The X100 sensor is arguably better, but not by a lot (although if you're talking about image "quality in the qualitative sense rather than the measurable sense, I prefer the Fuji, but that's not what most people seem to mean by IQ...

But the Nokton is a big and heavy lens and makes shooting with the OMD more of a DSLR shooting experience. The X100 is a COMPLETELY different sizw, weight, balance, and shooting experience, so you're really comparing apples and oranges here except for the pure optics. But if you're up for the size and weight of the Nokton, it sounds like an amazing lens.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The depth of field of the 17.5 at f/.95 will be similar to a "full frame" 35mm at f/2. The X100 at f/2 will be similar to a 35mm at f/2.8.

In any case f/.95 will still give two stops more exposure than f/2.

Fred

6. moffo

moffo Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 25, 2011
    Central Texas
    I'm not sure about the claim that the Nokton is 'much better'. After all, the X100 designers had the luxury of designing a lens that would always be matched to the same sensor, with no compromise for interchangeability. In my experience, the Fuji is stellar.

• Like Like x 2
  7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    For me, the X100 provides infinitely better image quality.

(because I own the X100, but not the EM-5...) :tongue:

8. sloppyjoe123

Aug 11, 2012
    Hmm, right now I am standing in favour of the X100. Just slightly.

Cos I am living in Singapore, I will be doing quite a lot of street stuff, where people are really cramped up tgt and having a huge lens sticking out might not be good. and the thing is: I am also going to Venice for the first time soon, so I will be needing to switch between focal lengths quite a bit. And I do believe that changing bodies are faster than changing lens. Plus, the X100 will probably be lighter than the Voigtlander, or the same with the extra batteries, will be getting 2 extra, so make that 4 batteries :p.

Any opinions on my SEMI- decision?

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    As an x100 owner myself I fully concur with Ray - apples and oranges.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes, this is a BIG PLUS that can't be underestimated....
    -> http://www.finepix-x100.com/en/story/

11. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    I like the idea of swapping cameras rather than swapping lenses, it seems to me that this is the approach pros take in many situations for the obvious speed advantage. In my case completely different reasoning. I bought an X100 and immediately sold off the m4/3 lenses I had in a similar range (14 and 20 pany). My current thinking is m4/3 for the longer and wider stuff. Strangely I am not tempted by the Xpro.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If I were making a list of reasons to consider one of these outfits over the other, it would look something like this:

1) Ability to autofocus
    2) Ability to change lenses
    3) Size
    4) Weight
    5) Lens speed
    6) Ergonomics
    7) Viewfinder
    12) Image stabilization
    19) Looks
    32) Shutter release sound
    96) Image quality
    97) How many shoes I have that match camera color
    98) Camera odor (if any)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

99....built in facebook or twitter
    And so on..

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the quality is close enough and both are excellent enough that the deciding factors should definitely be something different altogether as Amin point out (although I might put IQ higher on the list than 96).

Ability to autofocus is certainly a big one.

It's not really like comparing apples and oranges. More like comparing a Philly cheesesteak and a Papaya.

15. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree with some of the others... this is an apples to orange comparison.

I'd get the OMD but ~not~ the Nokton.

16. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The one you have and the one you enjoy using. The size issue for street shooting is a myth--most of my street work is done with medium-format cameras which most people agree are large then m4/3. You are also the biggest factor in image quality.

Which blows your hair back? Get that.

17. sloppyjoe123

Aug 11, 2012
    Oh don't worry guys, I already have the OM-D for those who weren't sure.

It's Voigtlander 17.5mm 0.95 VS X100. NOT OM-D versus X100.

18. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    A two camera system is great for shooting on the street.

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, CV 17/0.95 makes it even more of an apples to armadillos comparison than it would be if camera vs camera. Either way, image quality is one of the least significant differences to me. I can't imagine someone using the CV 17/0.95 on an OM-D one day, an X100 the next, and and then choosing between them on the basis of "image quality".

If asked to rate the two camera-lens combos on that issue, 96th on my list as it may be, I'd call it a draw, and differences in lens rendering character would weigh more heavily than any slight differences in noise, resolution, color, or dynamic range.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1