Which wide Pro- 7-14 or 8mm?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Underwater, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    I know I'm not the only one trying to decide between these two lenses. To some, a wide zoom and a fisheye may not seem like competitors for our money, but in my case the main focus would be underwater. There, it really does seem to be a tossup- a stop or so vs zoom range. I'm interested in hearing the rationale that others have made when faced with this same decision- especially from other divers, but landlubbers, too. Some things about my shooting:

-My current main lens for diving is the 12-40 behind a 170mm dome; the dome should work fine with either lens. So far, 12mm has been wide enough but I've got a tropical trip coming up, and I suspect I'll want wider.
    -I own (and love) the Rokinon 7.5, so I'm use to shooting a fisheye topside.
    -Most of my diving is in low viz waters of the PNW- 10' viz on a dive is a good day.
    -I also like shooting pics of the Milky Way a few times a year on camping trips.
    -Although I'm cheap, I'm willing to spend the money on the 7-14. That said- the $300 difference is $300. Plus another couple hundred to adapt filters, and you're starting to get into real money that could go to trips, wet diopters, better strobes, fine bourbon, etc.

Hive mind: go!

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I opted for the 8mm 1.8 Pro because of the fast aperture. Not to mention it's more compact than the 7-14mm Pro. If your shots don't rely on a rectilinear FOV I'd get the Fisheye. It's a fun lens! Hope that helps!

• Like Like x 1
  3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't know anything about underwater photography but I have both lenses. As Jonathan said, " If your shots don't rely on a rectilinear FOV I'd get the Fisheye. It's a fun lens!".

The only thing I'd add is this:

You say you have the Rokinon. Think about how and where you use it because that's where you're going to start using the 8mm if you get it. Trust me, you'll use it instead of the Rokinon unless size and weight are going to be an issue in a particular situation, and you'll probably try using it in other places and at other times just because it's new and you want to play and get used to it. You may find yourself using it more than you think once you start seeing results and discover what you can use it for, and that's equally true if you get the 7-14. You'll find yourself using it more than you think you will, simply because you have it, and you'll find yourself using it in ways you aren't currently thinking of.

You've got a fisheye so what's more important to you, lens speed or rectilinear perspective? If you get the 7-14 you can keep the fisheye and you'll have the option of fisheye or rectilinear whenever you like. If you get the 8mm, you may keep the Rokinon because its smaller size and lower weight are handy at times but you've got the choice of fisheye or fisheye and I suspect the Rokinon isn't going to get much use. Which combination is going to be more useful to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards the 7-14, but the President's Day sale on refurbs made my decision for me as it's hard to pass up the 8mm for 640.