Which wide angle converter solution should I get?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by webmonkey8, Mar 16, 2012.

1. webmonkey8

webmonkey8 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2012
    Hi all,

I have the Olympus EPM1 and I understand there's a wide angle lens converter for the lens kit. However, I saw there's also the Panasonic 14mm lens and a wide angle converter you can use with it my camera, too.

I know it'll be cheaper to get the converter for my lens kit, but in terms of quality and wide-ness, are they the same or is the Panasonic solution better?
  2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    In terms of wideness they'll be the same. Both give about 11mm. I suspect the Panasonic combo would be of higher image quality.

But I'm not certain it'll be worth the extra cost.
  3. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    About Panasonic wide angle convertor, what is the ratio, is it 0.75x?

So, that makes the 14mm become a 10.5mm lense in theory?

Are we seeing huge sacrifice in quality if we use a wide angle convertor?
  4. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    I am testing a relatively cheap solution: nikon WC-E68 applied on the pana 14mm.
    It gives a 9.5/10 mm focal lenght. It needs a bit of de-barrelling and chromatic correction, but looks promising.
  5. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    This is a bit different, but I bought the Olympus FCON Fisheye Converter and regret it. In retrospect, I feel like I should have just spent the money for a real fisheye the first time, because I still want one knowing that the quality isn't the same. Now, there's no Samyang/Rokinon offering at the wide angle, but the 9-18 is supposed to be fantastic and can be found used for very little. Anyway, that's just 2 cents from someone who regrets his converter purchase...
  6. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Waiting for the Panasonic DMW-GWC1 converter here. It's .79X per Panasonic and has adapters to fit on their 14mm and 14-42. Takes both to 11mm. Announced last January, and who knows when it will be in stores. $129 per Adorama.

I thought about the Sony converter for the NEX 16mm and saving $30, as I hear it "snaps on" my Panasonic 14mm lens, but that just seemed somewhat unreliable for long term usage.
  7. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Gf1 + custom 9,5mm (14mm and nikon WC-E68) at f:2.8!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Blue Esprit

Blue Esprit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2012
    London, England
    Hey Guys

I got my Panny GWC1 about a week ago and I'm really happy with it. Good contrast and sharpness across most of the frame, although I have not managed to shoot towards the sun with it....it's been raining in England for weeks!

It fits very nicely on my 14mm and does give much better coverage at 11mm. I really love this combination. There is some falloff of sharpness into the corners but not too bad. A small amount of CA also but this is easily corrected in raw post production.

I'm sure it would not compare to prime at this focal length for m43, but for the money I'm really happy.
  9. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Could you post a couple of full-res shots taken (the same image) with and without the converter?
  10. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Just for info the wide convertor for the Olympus 14 - 42 is the
    WCON - P01 there is also a macro convertor the MCON - P01 (and the already mentioned FCON - P01 fisheye effect (rather than true fishye). They all attach to the Mk2 msc and R Olly lenses by a bayonet so are very quicky attached and removed. (do not fit on Olympus mk1 14 - 42) They are a very usefull addition to your kit without increasing the bulk to carry around and increase versatility at reasonably low cost. All three convertors are available as a set as
    3CON - P01. The MCON - P01 macro also fits on the Olly 14 - 150 and 40 - 150 zooms . Rob
  11. Blue Esprit

Blue Esprit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2012
    London, England
    I'll try and get this done this week. Have been using this converter to shoot video at the moment.
  12. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Those look good Harrysue.

I like mine too. Sharpness is well retained imo. There is a bit of distortion but I don't find it distracting in most applications. I've tried using some of Lightrooms lens profiles and have found the Nikon 18-70 to work pretty well.

A few samples with converter. Both at F2.5

• Like Like x 1
  14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for posting these. Look pretty good!