Which way do you focus? Clockwise?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Pan Korop, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    There was the Leica heritage: the infinity mark at the right of the distance scale. To focus closer, turn the lens clockwise. When Leica copies, or "inspired" look-alikes came in, they followed: Canon, Zorkij, etc.

There was the Zeiss school--focus counterclockwise. Nikon, Kiev copies of the Contax followed. Pentax did the same following Pentacon.

Today, with adapted lenses, having a consistent standard for one's lenses does improve the manual focusing speed.

To my knowledge Oly's EP cameras are the only to offer the choice of direction for native lenses manual focus-by-wire.

So, my legacy lenses being mostly Nikon and Kiev, I set my E-2 to counterclockwise, so I don't get confused with the native lenses.

How about you?

2. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    I always focus, initially, the opposite way to which I want to go. No matter which lens is on. Same with zooming.

3. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Strange! I do that too..........

4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I used to do that until I realized my camera was configured with infinity to the left and close focus to the right (when handled, that is, from behind). This was opposite to the OM lens direction I was accustomed to. I don't know if that's factory setting or if it was changed by the retailer in some way to demo the camera to someone before I bought it. If this is a factory setting, then, it's dumb to reverse the habits of your legacy customers.

I changed the setting and now, I'm feeling home again.

Cheers,

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I use the default E-P1 setting. I know it can be changed, at least for mFT or 4/3 lenses. It is buried in a menu setting somewhere.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I focus with rapid random movements until something's right, then a little slow bit to get it sharp : simply because I have three favourite manual lenses and they're all different and different directions.

7. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Stats so far.
    We got:
    - two clockwisers, aka Solar (Mauve per choice, Djarum per chance)
    - one counter-revolving, aka Antipodic (yours truly)
    - a couple undecided, aka Confusians
    - one bidirectional, aka Adlibidinous (Ulfric M)

Nothing much of a majority. No wonder when even Soviet Union couldn't reach an Unified Focus Direction :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    All my lenses are clockwise , I know that there were some made for nikon and minolta with a reverse focus ring but i do not own them hence i focus in that manner. The way i focus is simple i do a bit of a prefocus by roughly checking the distance then i use the MF assist to make it spot on.

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Always clockwise to infinity. All the systems I've owned are the same so I see no need to learn something new. Now it's just the zooms are are backward.

Gordon

10. eternallurker

eternallurker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2010
    This post is very informative.
    I always thought this direction was a random thing that depended on the moon phase and the mood of the little gnome inside the camera. :mad:

11. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Some third-party lens makers do care about the issue.
    For instance, Voigtländer and Samyang, who do reverse their threads for Nikon or Pentax mounts. And they both specialize in manual focusing lenses.

Then Sigma doesn't take that care: their Nikon models turn to the right, i.e. wrong.
    True, Sigma only makes AF lenses where it may be considered an annoyance only if you use AF manual correction available on their top-end models.