1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which Ultra Zoom Lenses for EP3 ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by esatpil, Jan 13, 2012.

1. esatpil

esatpil New to Mu-43

Jan 12, 2012
    Hi Everyone,

Got tired of lugging around a Nikon SLR kit and decided to switch over to the :43: world with the purchase of an EP3 with the 14 - 42 Kit, 12mm and 45mm.
    Still waiting for stock as there seems to be issues in the supply chain worldwide at the moment.

I am looking a Ultra Zoom for bird photos specifically. I have noticed 2 possible options

1. Olympus 75 - 300
    2. Panasonic 100 - 300

Anyone out there with a EP3 willing to make a recommendation. Any samples to share?

How is the AF speed/IQ can it be used handheld while walking around or tripod is a must.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I haven't tried the Olympus version, but the Panasonic in my mind is the better deal. Faster at the long end (5.6 vs. 6.3), OIS and comes with a hood and pouch.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Just so you know, "Ultra Zoom" isn't the term for what you're looking for. Super-Telephoto is what you're looking for.

Ultra Zoom or Super Zoom refers to an all-in-one lens with a very broad focal range (10x or more), usually a wide angle to a mid-telephoto. A Super-Telephoto lens is one with a long telephoto end. The zoom range and telephoto reach are two completely different things. An Ultra Zoom would include something like the 14-140mm or 14-150mm lenses.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'll second that recommendation. Nothing I've seen from the Olympus justifies the 50% higher price, particularly given that at long focal lengths, OIS will be significantly more useful than IBIS.

DH

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Spec wise, I would pick the Lumix 100-300mm over the m.Zuiko 75-300mm in a heartbeat. I just can't share personal experience because I really don't have vested interest in such slow lenses. I did love the Zuiko 70-300mm for Four-Thirds, but that is a very different lens than the m.Zuiko. It was quite a bit faster (f/4.0-5.6 like the Lumix 100-300mm), good sharpness (not great like the 50-200mm, but very good compared with the competition), and had excellent tele-macro capabilities. Its combination of super-reach and tele-macro in still a decent quality lens, I think is what made that lens stand out. I know they made the m.Zuiko version so much slower and dropped the macro feature because they wanted to make it small... but that doesn't fly with me. So I would take the Lumix in a heartbeat.

6. esatpil

esatpil New to Mu-43

Jan 12, 2012
    Thanks Ned and everyone for your words

7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    As an owner of the 75-300, I'll chime in. It's an amazingly small, light lens for a 600mm equivalent, and I like the fact that it goes out to 75. I think it's a much more versatile lens than the 100-300. That being said, the aperture makes bird photos nigh impossible (primarily due to subject blur, although much maligned, IBIS has always worked wonderfully in my experience), worse if you're shooting at dusk, so for birds, the Panny may be the way to go.