1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which two lens option: Oly9-18/PL25 or P14/P20

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by WT21, Jul 19, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Out of these two pairs, which do you prefer:

9-18 & PL25
    Pros:
    • UWA zoom flexibility
    • Gorgeous PL25 output
    • Fast (f/1.4) normal
    Cons:
    • Large (compared to the pancakes)
    • Expensive (compared to the pancakes)

Pancakes: 14 and 20
    Pros:
    • Super Small
    • Both lenses are pretty fast (f/2.5 and 1.7)
    • Cheap (both together about the price of the PL25)
    Cons:
    • Less flexibility (i.e. fixed focal length)
    • P20 has some noisy AF and generally slower AF than the PL25

2. FRAN

FRAN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    México DF, MÉXICO
    Francisco
    P14 + PL25 is a great combo....

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If a kindly great-uncle was buying these for me I'd plump for the first pair : all-round better, but absolutely not pocketable.

In reality I have not even one of your four lenses.

4. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    There's a big difference in price between the those 2 options, with that said i picked the Oly 9-18 and the 25mm. I havnt used either one but i plan on getting the 9-18 sometime in the future, it looks like a very versatile lens.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yeah. All four are good lenses, but it's about quality and versatility vs. cheapness and portability.

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If its about quality and versatility then the PL25 and one of the others. I'd probably choose the 9-18 for the 9-12mm part of the range. It's slower than the 14 but I could live with that. I'd be carrying a bag anyway so size isn't very important to me.

Fred

7. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    But both the 14 and the 20 can provide excellent images, the 20mm is still a very good lens and one of the sharper lenses available. I use it on the OMD all the time. I guess it depends on whats more important for you portability or versatility.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You are right. Quality isn't the right word there. The P14 and P20 both produce quality images.

More like versatility (9-18 and PL25 cover a broader range of focal lengths) and some better low-light performance (f/1.4) with options for a little less DOF when needed.

9. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I asked a similar question (kinda) when I was thinking about switching from the 20 to 25. I use the 14/25 combo now and it's pretty nice, but I can see the attraction of going wider...have not tried the 9-18 yet though. The 9-18 also could work as a walkaround lens in a lot of situations in good light.

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This is what I use. :cool:

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Having those four lenses already, I would definitely go with the 9-18 and the 25. The extra on the wide end is really important to me. Optical versatility is more important to me than having gear that is as small as possible.

12. Easy, easy, easy win for the 9-18mm and the 25mm. Much better coverage from UWA to normal. The pancake pair come out in front only on a cost and size basis.

13. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    9-18 + prime. That's been my go-to setup for years (UWA zoom + medium telephoto prime) and it's worked well for my purposes...though I like to keep my prime around the 100mm range.

14. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I am a sucker for UWA so I chose the 9-18mm and 25mm.

15. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I have three of these.

9-18, 14 and 25.

The 25 is really stellar. Who care about numbers? The images just look great.

The 14 is sharp, small and pocketable. Personally I want to hold the lens and I find it a bit small, but that is a minor issue.

I haven't really shot the 9-18 enough to form an impression yet, but the images are good.

I've played with the 20 and it is noisy and slower but perfectly usable.

To me the 25 is 'the' lens in his group. 9-18 or 14? Depends on whether you want the pancake form factor.

16. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    I own both the Olympus 9-18 and the Lumix 20, among other lenses, and I think they are both excellent in their own range. The wide lens isn´t a large one: I found it quite small for a UWL when its retracted and can be carried in a jacket pocket without problem.

My suggestion: Oly 9-18 + Pan 20
    (I dont like too much the 25 FOW)

17. Steni

Steni New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2013
    I would go for the Oly 9-18 and the Pana 25 -->I'm using the same combination.