1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which TTL flash for Panny G1

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by stingOM, Mar 11, 2011.

1. stingOM

stingOM Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi Folks,

I have been asked by a friend to take some informal wedding photos. I intend to use my Panny G1 as a backup to my D2H. I am just wondering which flash which you choose that will give you E-TTL with quick recycle time? How about the Chinese Yongnuo 465 or Metz?

Thanks,
    Si

2. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Metz seem to be very popular among the 4/3 group. Any Olympus 4/3 flash, like the FL-20, FL-36, FL-50, and their "-R" variants will do well too. I have the FL-50 and it's great on my G2, although it's severely top heavy with it on the hotshoe (I use it with a TTL cable instead).

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I've just gone through all the reading and searching about this same subject, except for the Oly side of things. After much consternation, I chose the Metz 44 AF-1. Much more power, 4 AAs over 2 for the Oly FL-36R, and simplified operations. It was $199 shipped from Adorama. If you have any time to wait, I'm going to try to make a thorough user-review when it shows up next week. My deciding factors were:

Very similar (small) form factor compared to OEM units

USB upgradable software

4 AA power

Same unit is Oly/Panny/Leica compatible

Name has a history of quality and is synonymous with flashes (my opinion).

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I just went through the same decision making process. (with much hand wringing and review reading).

I ordered the Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1 digital for $230. More than I wanted to spend, but you can never have too many lumens. :smile:

I also bought a bracket and a cable to allow TTL off-camera which brought the total to a little over $300.

I thought hard about the Metz mecablitz 44 AF-1 but I thought for $30 more you got more light and more features.

I looked at the Panny and Oly flashes as well but felt the others offered more value for the money. Also there seemed to be a lot of complaints in reviews about long recycling times.

Two others I looked at were the Vivitar 383 ($130) and the Nissin di466 ($140). The Vivitar I thought was the best value but I opted for more power. The Nissin looks very interesting and I will see where they go in the future.

I will also post a review when I get it in and use it.

Unfortunately it will also be larger than I wanted but size does matter when it comes to light output. I will probably buy a smaller flash sometime in the future for auxiliary lighting and general carrying around.

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I agree, that was a hard choice. I only chose the 44 because it was smaller.

As a marketer, I love how they entice you incrementally. Just a little bit more and you get... THIS! Just a little more and...

I stopped at the form factor just before the next physical change to the larger flash body, but that was a tough one. I'd like to see yours on the camera when you get it.

I'm ordering the cord today, and already have the bracket. Most of the time I'd not use the bracket, but good to know it is there.

Regardless, Metz seems to have the best value for us, IMHO.

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    ...I also will keep a lookout for the little Metz 36 series to keep with my D-LUX-5. It bounces, but doesn't swivel, but the Leica flash does neither for twice the price.

7. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I was leaning toward the Nissin but it was their first attempt at a Panny flash so I decided on the Metz 36 but it was the same price as the Metz 44 which offered more features. And then I peaked at the 50 and you know the rest.

I plan on taking a picture of the Metz 50 on the GF1 - it should look ... amusing.

8. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Nissin has been making flashes for a long time (I have one from film days) and shouldn't be ignored as an option.

9. stingOM

stingOM Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks folks or all your inputs. At the moment I am thinking of getting the Nissin di466.

10. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    If I had kept with my initial limit of $150 or less the Nissin di466 would have been my choice.

The Metz and Panny/Oly flashes with equivalent output and features cost $50 more.

11. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Nissin Di466 works great on the Panasonic G1. I had that combo and always got great results. Since you are planning to use it for a wedding, look for a spare battery holder so you can preload a second set of batteries and have them handy.

Lee

12. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    newbie here. i just bought the Nissin at buy.com for my G2. thanks for the recommendations and feedbacks. can't wait for the flash to arrive in a week. appreciate all your expertise guys. :thumbup:

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Has anyone tried the Bower SFD926O? It seems comparable to the Nissin di466, but it's a little bit less expensive.

14. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Nissin Di466 here, and very happy with it (on a g1).

Over the metz it has manual operation - handy on radio triggers - and built in optical slave. I like being able to get the flash off camera:

P1030255.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    That flash is the same as the vivitar 383.

Honestly for $15 more, I would go with the Nissan Di466.

I don't have either flash but going by the specs, the bower/vivitar has recycle time of 9 sec at full power, while the Nissan is rated at 3-4 sec.

Also the Nissan looks smaller as well.

The only advantage that I see is the bower/vivitar has more power.

• Like Like x 1
  16. stingOM

stingOM Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2010
    Ireland
    Got the Nissin Di466 now and looking to get the BM-01 Battery Compartment to go with it. Cheers folks for the tips:smile:

17. hazmatte

hazmatte New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2011
    I am using the Metz 48 AF-1 on a Panny G2 and love the results so far. I want to put it on a manfrotto bracket, can anyone recommend a good extension cable that is compatible with the G2 and the Metz flash?

There's one on B&H Photo called the Dot Line RPS TTL Off-Camera Flash Cord with Swivel Mount - for Olympus TTL, that I think will work, but wanted someone with more knowledge to confirm that.

18. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
  19. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
  20. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Stumbled across this link that lists flash unit which support TTL on m43 cameras:

LX3 Flash

Vas

• Like Like x 3