Which to sell?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by elandel, Dec 29, 2011.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I got my G3 and I'm very satisfied with it. Now I have: GF1 - G3 - Ep2 - Epl-2.
    My question is: which should I sell between Ep2 and Epl2? You may say why not GF1? Its already for sale but its very difficult to sell so I'm going to keep it I think.

I love both my Ep2 and Epl2, but use much more the Ep2 because it seems better balanced with the big 4/3 glasses I use (and maybe I have a better feeling with it), mostly the Zuiko 70-300.
    Now my first camera is the G3 so it's useless to own all those bodies.
    I know everyone says that the Epl2 has better IQ than the Ep2, but I don't really see that maybe because I'm a poor photographer, I don't know.
    It seems like I should sell the Epl2 assuming that I use more the Ep2, but I don't want to make emotional decisions so I need your help.
    Which one would you sell?

Any advice?
  2. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I've never own any of the Olys but from what I've read in lotsa forums. The EPL2 is cheaper, better IQ, and its been said that there are accessories like underwater housing or so which is available for the E-PL2 but not for the E-P2.

Though, E-P2 grip feels better.

Selling the E-P2 - You'd earn a lil bit more as its slightly more expensive than the E-PL2. And you get better IQ.

But if you are really used to the E-P2 and if your more comfortable using your E-P2 then sell the E-PL2. Its all down to what you want more.

Here are some links which can prolly help you decide:

EP-2 or EPL-2: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

EPL2 vs EP2?: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    if you use one more than the other, there must be a good reason, even if it's "emotional". Keep the one you prefer, sell the other. Sounds like you should sell the epl2 and keep the ep2. There's so little quantitative difference between them that you should just go with your gut.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Sell the one you like least. Be happy with your equipment is my #1 rule, and forget what other people say.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    + 100

I sold my E-PL1 (again, like WT21 says, gone but not forgotten) hoping to just stay with the G3. In the end I sold my G3 - I just didn't bond with it. It produces great images, but I didn't enjoy taking photos as much as I did with the E-PL1. In case you decide to let your E-PL2 go, let me know - I just might bite. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. nicholasswan

nicholasswan Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2011
    i would say keep ep2...

or sell both end get ep3..

but in the end. i agree with WT21. you have to really love what you have and love shooting with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think you already answered your own question. Keep E-P2 for use with that lens because it should give you better IBIS than E-PL2. Also the shutter might last longer and it's nice to have ISO100. If it would be your only camera, I'd have a lot more reservations...
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    +10. Another vote for keeping the camera you love - regardless of reason. But the suggestion of replacing both with an E-P3 is a very good one. If elandel has an opportunity to handle an E-P3, he might discover it has the same magic as the E-P2 but with improved auto-focus, all of the image quality of the E-PL2 and then some, plus a built-in flash.
  9. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Why is the GF1 hard to sell? I would guess that it might have been easier to sell prior to Panasonic announcing the GX1. Surely you could get $400 for the GF1 body.
  10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Considering I bought a brand new one for less than $300 in November of 2010, I wouldn't take it as a given that you could get anywhere close to $400 for a used GF1 body now. Its a nice camera, but its not particularly better than other cameras of its "era" (a funny term to be using when eras basically mean years in these days of overwhelmingly rapid advancement...) that sell for a lot less than $400.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I sorta like this answer ... to extrapolate a bit, sell everything but the G3, pickup a GX1 and use the extra monies for a nice dinner or new glass. For general shooting purposes most peoples don't need more than two bodies ... now for collecting ... that's a different story.

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    That's exactly the point Ray. Here in Italy it's practically impossible to sell the GF1 (mine is new bought in september) because there is no request and basically because other are priced less. You can sell for maybe 100-150 euro body only, but at that price point I'll keep it.
  13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Yes, good answer but I'll not buy a GX1 and I'll keep one Olympus body so the choice is Ep2 or Epl2. I think Epl2 is going to go.
  14. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Holy cow less then $300? I could only find them new online for like $1200. I figured that the price was jacked up since Panasonic released the G3 which to many was a disappointment.

Although I have seen a few new ones in local Miami tourist trap electronic shops but I've not even bothered to ask how much since these shops are often three or four times that of retail.
  15. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    My guess is you'll have no problem getting rid of that PL-2. I would probably buy another one just to have it on the shelf in case mine died... if I didn't just spend all of my budget on a lens...

16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Yes, thats right. I think I'll get rid of the Epl2, but its not sure 100% lets say 90%. I'm going to take a few more shots with the Ep2 next year:smile: (Monday) and then make a definitive choice but for sure the Ep2 suits me better and for me the IQ is the same.
    So my primary camera will be the G3 and the Ep2-Epl2 the secondary, with
    GF1 as backup or, if I can I'll trade in the GF1, may give the E-PM1 a chance, I'm not sure.
  17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Demand for second-hand Panasonic gear is anemic. Considering the number of $500 2-lens GF3 kit deals over the holidays, I'm not sure demand for the first-hand stuff is great either.