1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which to go for Pen F or E-M1 w/12-40?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by JYPfoto, Mar 27, 2016.

1. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    To keep a long story short, had the E-M1 at launch w/12-40 but was tempted by other systems. Sold it pre all the FW updates, even before 2.0. Was enticed by the Pen F and picked one up along with the 17 and the 25. Really enjoy shooting with it and like the subtle features that Olympus has. Not too sure I like the articulating screen with the constant rotating to shoot at angles. Also would like to possibly have the better C-AF for shooting with the kids. Also the E-M1 II is apparently coming soon. So later on the 40-150 is an option.

But I have the option of getting the E-M1 again with the 12-40 for the same price as keeping the Pen F. So I'm either with the Pen F w/17 and 25 or the E-M1 w/12-40, 17, and 25. Worst case scenario if I decide on the E-M1 I can keep it as a backup or sell it.

I have to really sit down and consider the benefits/disadvantages of either option, would love to have some of you guys.

2. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Why donĀ“t you keep the Pen-F for travel, street, casual shooting and buy a EM-1 MKII if you are not happy with the Pen-F in the long run? E-M1s only gets cheaper from here and in anyway :)

3. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    Ian
    I currently use the Pen F and have owned the EM1 in the past.

I would wait to see what the EM2 brings to the game in terms of improvements, especially as the C-AF on the EM1 isn't much better than on the Pen F and I would still keep the Pen F as with the 17mm it can just be slipped in a pocket for days out and even just trips to the park with the 25mm & a spare battery in another pocket.
    The 40-150 pro works well on the Pen F and though heavy for a M43 lens it presents no real problems, though I would advise using the Pen F grip on the camera and leaving the tripod ring on the camera as both give extra grip.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Another vote for keeping the Pen F and adding an E-M1 to your kit. But wait until the E-M1 Mark II comes out to decide whether to go with that or the original. As others have written, the price is only going to go down on the Mark I.

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'd get the E-M1, sell the Pen-F, and if you wanted a smaller camera for primes, pick up a used E-M5 II.

Just my .02

6. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Looks like my decision has been made easier, the wife is bringing back an E-M1 w/12-40 from her vacation overseas. Thanks to the decline in pricing and some sharp negiotiating she was able to get the combo for a little over $1,000 new. Sure it's technically grey market, but for the price it's almost a no brainer since I value the 12-40 at around $600 used, so if I do decide to upgrade to a Mark II version and decide not to keep the Mark I as a backup, I should be able to get at least $400 for it, grey market or not.

The one advantage of the articulating screen that I see is for low angle portraits but otherwise it's a hassle to constantly have to rotate and turn the screen, but maybe that's just me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

In truth, as much as I like the IDEA of a fully articulated screen, I never really used it much. I used my screen on my E30 in a serious way maybe 4 or 5 times, and I don't think I ever used it in a manner that couldn't have been handled by a screen that tilts up and down only. That particular issue really depends on how well you know yourself and your shooting needs. I personally am more of a viewfinder sort of photographer.

In regards to your "Should I stay or Should I go" issue, I think you have created a false either/or situation. You say you basically LIKE the "F", but have a few minor quibbles with the camera and want to know if you should buy a different camera from an older generation, knowing that camera will likely be replaced in the line up possibly as early as this year.

Ask yourself two things.
    • One, what do you see yourself shooting with the E-M1 that you can't shoot with the Pen F? And are you likely to WANT (or be paid) to shoot those things?
    • Two, when the E-M1 replacement comes along how likely are you to want to ditch everything and chase that NEW dream camera? Are you buying cameras to use, or are you buying cameras because it's fun to buy cameras along with all the thinking, talking and anticipating that comes with it?
    There's nothing wrong with enjoying the Camera buying experience, or even making it a core part of 'photography' for you. But if that is a big part of the fun for you, then maybe you should buy into a different camera system as well, maybe a FF DSLR system rather than into an older m43s camera that doesn't really hold any surprises for you.

Not even the wealthiest camera manufacturer could churn out enough new cameras to keep some people satisfied. But maybe two manufacturers, particularly ones with different release cycles and radically different perspectives could offer the buyer hobbyist enough to keep them satisfied. Just a thought.

8. fishone0

fishone0 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2016
    I have the LCD screen closed on my PEN-F and I can do everything through the view finder

9. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    I do too on the GX8. Thats the beauty of a fully articulated screen