1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which to Buy: GF2 or EPL-2?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bokeh Diem, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    I am a Panasonic user... owned G1's, G2's and a GH2.

I am going to buy into the smaller cafe format, and need to make a decision, the GF2 or the EPL-2.

The former I am familiar with, at least from it's parent's point of view... sensor, jpeg limitations, interfaces, .. I know what to expect. But: I am intruiged by the EPL-2 and from what' I've read here, it's a favourite.

I plan on using Panasonic lenses on the chosen camera for the time being, specifically the 20/1.7

Any pros of one over the other? Cons? Using the Panasonic lenses? I hear that focus speeds can suffer when intermingling Pany lenses onto Oly bodies..

Thanks in advance!

And, from Ned on another thread: "If you could find a good deal on an E-PL2 though, I'd go for that in a heartbeat. That's every bit as good as an E-PM1 and much better than either the GF-2 or E-PL1"

I have an option of a GF2 with a 14-42 lens for $350, new unopened (not a fan of that lens) or a lightly used EPL-2 with the Pany 20 on it for $680. Both from the same fella, so I might be able to mix and match...

Bokeh Diem

Any

2. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    Beijing
    Sounds like you've already made your decision. Go for it. There is no wrong answer.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    GF2 is faster and has a touch screen.

E-PL2 has better metering, SCP and OOC jpegs.

I'd get the E-PL2. :wink:

4. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    I have both the E-P2 and the GF2.
    The GF2 is much more responsive than the PEN. Compared to the GF2 the PEN is an ergonomic disaster. You want a gadget? Get the PEN. Want a camera? Get the GF2.

Ned is on Olympus' payroll, how much objectivity do you expect? :smile:

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm far from being Olympus fan and I had both E-PL2 and GF2 side by side for a while. I ended up keeping E-PL2 and returned GF2. IMO, E-PL2 is more of a wholesome camera. Very well optimized jpegs, flash exposure compensation (this alone will result in much better pictures), effective IBIS, better grip, wireless flash, some useful art filters.
    Now, E-P2 is a whole different beast all together. I had a misfortune using it for while as a backup. Horrible experience (except for images): not as responsive, huge AF points (this alone makes it unusable for many applications), no magnify button, no dedicated focus selection button - nightmare of usability. To top it off, no flash and no wireless flash. Also Oly was using some very low quality paint on black E-P2 bodies which started to peel off after just a few months...

6. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    I can't judge about the grip of the E-PL2 but have no problems with the grip of the GF2. As for the other points you mention I shoot raw only (ever did, also with my Oly DSLR's) hardly ever use flash and think art filters are a waste. :smile:

I have that with my E-P2 too and e-mailed to Olympus in the Netherlands filing a complaint. All they could say was I had to be more careful with my equipment. Bye Olympus.....

7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Just trying to figure out why my E-PL2, which fits so well in my hands, is an "ergonomic disaster"....:confused: I never seriously looked at the GF2, which to me was a features disappointment as a GF-1 successor (pretender to the throne?), but I'm sure it's a capable camera as well.

Best advice is given here often. Compare side-by-side in a store and see which one works better for you. One size does not fit all.

8. Purely based on my own likes and dislikes, I can't see myself purchasing another of the smaller bodied Panasonics over any of the Pens. At this very moment I'm struggling to develop a working relationship with the classic GF1. I'm just not feeling the love unfortuneately. Panny lenses are great, but when it comes to the camera bodies I think I need the bells and whistles of the GH series. The Pens on the other hand are just my kind of camera.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Because it misses the thumbwheel for dialing in exposure compenation or setting aperture / shutterspeed. The GF2 has a clickable thumbwheel - dial in aperture - press the wheel and you're in exposure compensation.
    The E-P2 has a thumbwheel but when you want to dial exposure compensation you have to press a button which is in a finger aching place on top of the camera.

There is more to ergonomics than fitting wel in my hands...:smile:

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Huh?

GF-2: Turn wheel for Aperture/Shutter, click IN then turn wheel for Exposure Compensation

E-PL2: Turn wheel for Aperture/Shutter, click UP then turn wheel for Exposure Compensation

So much difference.... :rolleyes:

11. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I have both e-pl2 and gf2... And frankly, AF is the only advantage the gf2 has over my epl2.

And when paired with the lumix 14mm, my epl2 focuses faster than the gf2 does. (and it doesnt do the clicking sound panny lenses make in Oly bodies)

Sent from my iOS using Mu-43 App

12. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Which wheel? I hope you don't mean the dial that sits under the mouse of your thumb?

E-P2 and GF2 have both a thumbwheel and a dial whereas the E-PL2 only has a dial.

13. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Have had GF-1, GF-2 and E-PL2. Sold GF-1, sold GF-2 and unfortunately dropped E-PL2. Had to buy E-P3 and now E-PL2 again as a late nigh cafe thing ;-)

Quite far from being any disaster! Ergonomics and IBIS where reasons for me to buy it again. Okay, price too.

For me just abut the only reason to buy GF-2 is the bundle with 14/2.5 lens which you can find cheaper than the lens alone...

14. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Thanks everyone for the comments.

Bought the EL-2/Pany20mm combo.

It's a split decision on user friendliness and gadetry, but I really liked the EPL-2 ergos and the solid feel to it, and the user interface. That and better jpegs. (I shoot RAW as a matter of course but tend to grab jpegs for quick reference and assembly of cut sheets). Very much like wireless flash... I have the Pany FL-500 and Oly F-50, master and slave relationship

I may buy the GF2/14mm combo to get the 14mm lens, sell the body...

Again, thanks for putting the thread together... a great help.

Bokeh