Which tablet do you use with your GH3?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by beanedsprout, Sep 28, 2013.

1. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Right now I use an ipad Mini but it doesn't function as a wifi hotspot so my setup is kind of ghetto. I have to put the camera into remote shooting mode, then go to playback to see the images I'm shooting. It's kind of a pain and sometimes it freezes the camera so I have to restart it. Also it does some other funky things like not letting me control shutter speed sometimes. I'm thinking it's just the fault of trying to get the camera to shoot manually but transfer the images via wifi on location. Anyone have any better setups to just send the images as I fake them? Since the ipad doesn't have this capability but other tablets do, I'm looking to upgrade (or downgrade, depending on how you look at it). I'd really like something weatherproof. Right now I've got the ipad in a lifeproof case, which is really convenient with all of the crappy dingy places I visit.

I don't need the tablet to do anything except receive pictures from the camera and view them, so basically I just need something with wifi and a good screen.

So what has anyone else been using?

2. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    I have a Toshiba Thrive android tablet. What I like about it is that it has a standard SD card slot, usb port and standard size HDMI port. I can just remove the SD from the camera, insert into my tablet,edit, process, post on Flickr. Or just transfer right away to a usb flash drive.

Sent via Tapatalk on Android.

3. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Yeah I've got an sd card reader for my ipad but I just want something tethered so I can look at it on a Larger screen. I do all my editing at home, can't stand photoshop touch.

Does your Toshiba sync wirelessly that you can send photos to it? That's really what I'm after.

4. GeBathan

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    Syncing wireless takes a lot of time and drains the battery really fast. Sorry didn't read your post correctly :D Nope, haven't tried wireless sync,

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    iPad but I just download from the SD card. I am not sure what the wireless advantage is unless you are fearful of someone taking your camera.

6. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Previewing images on a larger screen in the middle of shooting.also having a backup is nice but it only backs up the jpegs so it's not that handy

7. GeBathan

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
  8. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Yeah, I think that video was the reason I bought a Gh3 to begin with. :)
    But that only covers remote shooting, and there are a few glitches when using remote shooting but trying to control the camera via the buttons on the camera and not on the ipad. There area. Few ways to wirelessly connect the gh3 to something else, remote shooting is one and wireless tethering is another. I'm wholly uninterested in remote shooting, I just want to look at high resolution jpegs on a big screen as or immediately after I take a picture, just like I see the pros doing.

Again, remote shooting has an option to view pictures on the card, and that works great except when the whole thing freezes and I can't use my camera for five minutes because it won't shut off and it's still in playback mode and the viewfinder and LCD are dark. I don't need the gimmicks of remote control. I bought a card reader so I might just use that, but what is the point of using a wifi-enabled camera if the wifi doesn't work?

I know people sync and send pictures to their computers over a home network, but I don't shoot in my home or a studio, my shoots are always outside or in some abandoned building someplace. I need a tablet that can be used as a wifi hotspot, I think anyway. Not sure, never got it to work, the only option available to me as an ipad user is remote shooting, the camera won't connect or recognize the ipad because of apples unwillingness to use open source code.

9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'm not sure how Apple and open source have anything to do with this... but can't you make a direct connection? In the wifi menu, function->new connection->send images stored/while recording->smartphone->direct->manual ?

I can't test it because I'm not trying to mess up my brother's settings. I could have sworn this was supposed to put up a QR code to make it easier...

• Like Like x 1
  10. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Nope, not on Apple. If I decided to jailbreak my devices, it would work, but the iPhone doesn't send out a wifi signal that the GH3 will recognize. So I need either a wifi hotspot or a tablet or phone that supports such a thing. At least that's how I understand it. And from messing around with it for hours on both my iPhone 5 and ipad mini, the only option that works is remote shooting. Also I've been unable to find anything online, but I did find something on the online gh3 manual that has the website for whatever algorithm that is used and apple products are not among the list of compatible products.

11. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Hey that worked! I guess I was trying to use wifi direct before which isn't supported, but the manual function works flawlessly! Awesome! Now I don't have to go buy another tablet! Thanks!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. GeBathan

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    Probably you need to get away from all those Apple products and move to Android :D
    edit:late reply lol

13. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Been there done that. Switched to Apple because my Droid kept freezing on me and prevented me from making a 911 call in an expedient fashion. Although with the new laggy iOS7 I'm tempted to switch back, but Apple has an iron grip on how apps work on their devices and they do a pretty good job of making things work. Apparently I just need to select the right setting.

14. gnargiz

gnargiz New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2013
    You said the "iPhone doesn't send out a wifi signal that the GH3 will recognize"
    In which mode? Are you saying that if you enable personal hotspot on your iPhone the GH3 will not recognize the wireless network it broadcast and connect? If you set your iPhone to enable personal hotspot in your general settings menu (AT&T version) not sure if its the same term with Verizon or Sprint versions you should be able to connect with your GH3. After that you should just need to also connect your iPad to the same personal hotspot being broadcast by your iPhone to have connectivity between the iPad and GH3. Even if all you can do is connect with your iPhone directly with the GH3 as soon as you save the pictures to your iPhone's camera Roll you can sync them with your photo stream to view them on your iPad. I am assuming your iPad can see and use your iPhones personal hotspot. If not the issue is probably not with the GH3 but a configuration issue between your iPhone and iPad.

15. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you thought of buying a wifi SD card? Eye-fi, Toshiba flash Air or the Transcend wifi card. Will do everything you are looking for. It's not tablet specific. Just get the app for which ever flavor of tablet you are using. That is how these wifi enabled cameras work anyways. Has nothing to do if it is an apple product or a android tablet.

16. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Nah I wanted it to work with my ipad not iPhone. Also Apple doesn't support wifi direct, which is how I was trying to connect it in the first place.

Also not really interested in an eyefi now that I have a gh3

17. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    not familiar with the GH3, I take it has wifi built in like the e-p5? But there isn't an app that is made for iOS to connect directly from camera to device.. Right? And you have tried going the hot spot route and no go? Yeah I think for iOS unless there is an app that can connect to your camera then there is no (to my knowledge) a way to go directly into the photo app / camera roll... All of that is done through an app. Not sure how it's on the android side if there is something built into the OS or if it's there is an app for that.... Most companies make apps for there devices it communicate with.Surprised that that Panasonic did not provide such app...

18. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Nah I got it to work finally. They have an app but it was a setting in-camera that I wasn't selecting.

19. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ahi ok. ... The Panasonic app.. Limit link... Just found a vid on YouTube. http://youtu.be/EVxD5yvLA2s

Sweet...

20. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Yep, but the video on youtube only covers remote shooting, which gives me problems. There is another option to only send images while recording. That's the one I wanted. But it was buried in a couple side menus!

Now I'm quite happy with my ipad! And now everything is weathersealed (ipad a bit more than the camera) which really helped last night shooting in the rain.

• Like Like x 1