1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which system to bring on motorcycle trip?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sdsyver, Aug 2, 2014.

1. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    Hi every one. I am having a bit of a dilemma right now. I leave for a 2 week motorcycle trip through the Canadian Rockies and Prairies in four days and am unsure if I should bring my Olympus E-M1 with 12-40 and 35-100 f2.8 or my A7 with Zuiko 20 f2, Zeiss 55 f1.8 and Zuiko 85 f2. Both have pros and cons I know and both are roughly the same size packed up. I'm just looking for some opinions. Only have room for one system. Thanks in advance.

2. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

What are you plannin to shoot? Personally, as much as I dearly love my E-M1, I'd be going for the Sony, I think the larger sensor would be a benefit for the awesome landscapes you're going to come across.
    Z...

3. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    Be a bit of everything. Landscapes, family, street etc. As my wife is taking her GX7 uI think I'm taking the Sony for the larger sensor.

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I'd go with the E-M1. Then you can share lenses with the GX-7.

6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Thanks for the shout out @phigmov!

Hey Shawn,

I do travel a fair amount with primes, but that's only out of space considerations (my Pentax F2.8 zooms are pretty big). If I could, I'd bring good zooms on each and every trip just because they are so versatile and I'd spend less time on the side of the road changing lenses.

With the size of the scenery out there, I can see your zooms giving you the ability to capture the vastness of it with the wide end of the 12-40 along with bringing distant details closer or stacking mountains one behind the other with the long end of the 35-100. The only thing I might add is a pancake like the Panny 20/1.7 for those nights out in towns where you want to travel light.

The A7 and lenses is likely very nice, but you won't be using the speed (and the weight and size that comes along with them) much at all during the day. And you'll probably end up at places where zooming with your feet is an inconvenience or not an option. Is the image quality better than your M43 kit? Probably, but honestly the current generation of M43 is so good that I would not hesitate traveling with them.

There's also a benefit to you and your wife shooting the same system, namely backup and redundancy.

Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy, and share photos when you return!

• Like Like x 1