which system should i join for $500?

puckpack

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,

I currently have a Sony 5r with 30mm sigma lens as well as various legacy lenses. I am going to give this body to my daughter so I will have around $500 for a new body.

I am looking at getting into a system that I can grow with and build up gear slowly. I've never shot with a viewfinder and would like to try it. I mostly shoot nature, landscape and family gatherings.

Given this information, what body would you buy? I know I have a foot in the nex system but I am not in love with Sony. I'm not sure why. I have gone to a local camera and got a feel for a few possible cameras. I am drawn to Fujifilm. I like the images they produce and their commitment to update their cameras. I am also curious about Olympus. They obviously have a good thing going too.

How would you spend $500?

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Though I'd rather suggest the EM5, that would blow your budget for lenses I think. You can pick up an EPM2 w/2 lenses from Olympus.com for $315 plus tax...but if you wait for a holiday promo, you can save 20% on that. I have one and it's great, but I do prefer the controls and built in VF of the EM5. I got the EPM2 as a pocketable option. You can add a VF to it if you want as well and both have IBIS. Whatever you do save up $250 for the 45mm F1.8. Excellent lens, for cheap.

puckpack

Mu-43 Regular
Though I'd rather suggest the EM5, that would blow your budget for lenses I think. You can pick up an EPM2 w/2 lenses from Olympus.com for $315 plus tax...but if you wait for a holiday promo, you can save 20% on that. I have one and it's great, but I do prefer the controls and built in VF of the EM5. I got the EPM2 as a pocketable option. You can add a VF to it if you want as well and both have IBIS. Whatever you do save up $250 for the 45mm F1.8. Excellent lens, for cheap.
Thank you for the suggestion. I want to maximize my money and if I got few lenses that would be great. Best buy has a epl5 with 2 lenses for $500 too. I honestly don't know much about 4/3 lenses.

MichaelShea

Mu-43 Regular
I have a foot in both the Fuji and MFT camps. Many of Fuji's XF lenses, including the 14mm f2.8 for example, are nothing short of superb, but not exactly cheap. What still isn't nearly as impressive is the software support for X-Trans sensor derived raw files. Photographers who don't shoot images with foliage or other fine detail in the far distance probably won't have ever noticed a great deal wrong, but at times trees and even buildings look like they've been covered in clingfilm. I am frequently comparing results and as much as I'd like it to be otherwise, MFT still has a significant edge for landscape photography. The software has got better, but unfortunately still has some way to go. If you are satisfied with jpeg files, there is far less of a problem because Fuji's out of the camera jpegs are amongst the best you will ever see.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well if you buy used you can get a G3 Panasonic for a good price, that would leave money to get some lenses. Though if the G5 was the same or slightly more that is the better buy, I would suggest getting the kit lens if cheep and then working out from use what you need from there: I have the 45mm Oly its great for portraits, the 20mm is sharp and a good normal that can be had for a good price sometimes but the AF is slow compared to others. The 14mm Panasonic is a nice lens that goes for a good price but I don't get on with its angle of view to use it a lot, the sigmas are good I like the 30mm I have but its only a 2.8 Af is good though.

puckpack

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you for the suggestions. I have read that fuji and
Lightroom are challenging together but it has gotten better.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Thank you for the suggestion. I want to maximize my money and if I got few lenses that would be great. Best buy has a epl5 with 2 lenses for $500 too. I honestly don't know much about 4/3 lenses.

There is a 45mm lens for sale in the buy/sell thread for $200 right now. Won't last long...RUN, don't walk. Super price. Keep in mind if you get a Panasonic, they don't have IBIS (except for the G7, which is out of your range).

Latest threads

Top Bottom