Which Software for Newby on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Jiffster, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Jiffster

Jiffster New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2017
    I’ve been looking through the other posts but at this point in my journey I don’t know what I’m really looking at.

Can someone point me to a low cost software I can use to process my photos and learn on with the capability of achieving decent results?

2. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  3. DarbinCo

DarbinCo New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2017
    Have you tried the adjustments in Photos?

Its easy to use, does a fairly nice job and you’ve already got it.

I also like the DXO Photolab as it’s easy to use as well and it’s about 100 bucks. They do offer a 30 day free trail too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Olympus Viewer + Photos?

5. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Photos does a decent enough job, but may feel limiting in the future. Using it in conjunction with Luminar should increase its potential. Newest version is 70€ right now which seems cheap enough and I've heard good things about the software in general.

You could also go free with Darktable. No idea how good it is though.

6. knikki

knikki Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    Up North, UK
    Olympus Viewer is not bad altough I find the interface not great, but it is shipped with the camera and does a good job.

7. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    I think he's using a Panny camera, so OV3 is not a great choice ;)

I agree with the idea of starting with Photos (and whatever Panasonic provides) first. Once those possibilities are exhausted, Darktable (similar to Lightroom) and GIMP (similar to Photshop) are good, free programs.

8. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    For a Mac?

I'd easily pay the $30 for Pixelmator before I'd wrestle with those UI's. I can't tolerate them even on Windows/Linux and I'd think a Mac user would gag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    ops, missed that:)

10. rumplestiltskin

rumplestiltskin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    Luminar on the Mac is awesome. (On the PC, it's cr-p)

11. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Depends on how far you want to go with your editing... and whether you want to keep them organized within the app or in your finder.

If you want easy organization then Apple Photos is a good choice, although there will be arguments that your files will get locked inside the apple.library (btw... they could be extracted if you really need to). Initially Apple Photos was hardly worth a glance, however once they added Extensions capability you can use anything to process your files. A very good, and the lowest cost option would be Apple Photos and Affinity Photo. Affinity Photo is the least expensive professional quality Photoshop-like Raw editor out there... unless you include the very inexpensive RAWPower by Gentlemen Coders (albeit, RAWPower does not nearly have near the power of AP, it does a very good job of working with your RAW files). Total investment of using teh Apple Photos/Affinity Photo combo would be less than $60 CDN.

If you are wanting to work outside the Apple Photos box then there are numerous options. The one I decided on recently was Alien Skin's Exposure X3, recently on sale for 20% off during Black Friday Sales. It has a very easy to use interface and includes most of the RAW editing tools of the other apps. It is not the least expensive option at somewhere around $100 but it also is not a subscription based app. It is a standalone app with considerable power and a very responsive development team.

After that you have ON1 PhotoRAW and MacPhunSkyLum Luminar, but I have set those aside in favour Alien Skin's Exposure X3 and Affinity Photo. I then export any finished jpgs to Apple Photos for sharing with friends and family. Alien Skin also has BlowUp and SnapArt in their fold... BlowUp assists you with preparing your files for enlarged printing and SA is a artsy-farsty app that is just a lot of fun... all three of the Alien Skin apps have a 30 day trial period and the responses you get from their team are excellent whether you are a paid or trial user.

As far as learning curve, nobody beats Affinity Photo imo and Alien Skin has a growing number of relevant, succinct and understandable video tutorials. If you're looking to learn specific things about an app I don't think you can go wrong with either Affinity or Alien Skin. Both companies offer solid Mac based apps (Windows too but I wouldn't know anything about that!)

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    AlienSkin XP3 wouldn't install on Win-10...needs a Microsoft C++ lib from 2010. They need to fix that.

13. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Photos because it has Digital Asset Management (librarian) to help store and find your images. Once you have the hang of the adjustment tools in Photos, you can consider if Photos will be a long term solution.

Can't beat the cost of Photos $0.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

The OP was asking about Mac apps. (title of thread)

Sorry it doesn't function in Win-10... have you checked in at the ASkin FB page? Jimmy Beach is usually very good at responding to both requests for info and to issues with installations. AS is very very good at that it seems.

15. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    They responded quickly...with links to the 2010 libs and a note that the devs will get rid of that pre-req rsn...passed.

BTW, the OP might want to check out Topaz Studio...

What’s Free in Topaz Studio – Topaz Studio

There is a Mac version, but I can't attest to it as I use the Windows version.

16. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I think Pixelmator or Pixelmator Pro is worth a look. Pro may require a fairly recent model Mac though. My old 2012 iMac may not fit the bill for the latter. Apple Photos is worth a look because it's there and it's free. Derrick Story even has an eBook about using Apple Photos available on Amazon and iTunes. I just started using Luminar 2018 and it looks good too.

17. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    DarkTable
    RawTherapee
    DigiKam (a DAM)

XnViewMP (fast image viewer, lightweight DAM)

18. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ya I am going to throw my hat in the ring for which ever photo app came with your Mac (either iPhoto or Photos). Until you get to the point of needing to do something that you can not achieve with the built in app, I would stick with that one initially to get you going. I still use iPhoto for most of my quick edits and then switch to GIMP when I need something more (mostly for my infrared photography).

19. DarbinCo

DarbinCo New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2017
    One important detail is the old iPhoto’s won’t support RAW files (if you shoot raw) where as the new Photos will. The adjustments are also much better in Photos and it will also support extensions like Raw Power which is available through the Mac app store.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Affinity is what I’d suggest. Lr/PS in one.