Which size Crumpler?

bbq797

Mu-43 Regular
I've just purchased an E-PL2 along w/20mm pancake. I anticipate at some point purchasing the 14-150 (would only carry either kit lens or 14-150, not both) and also a flash. Is the Crumpler 3MDH big enough or should I go w/the 4 million? It's hard to tell from the pictures and there's quite a big difference in price. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
When I first bought my Pen I looked at a 3MDH at my local camera store. Verdict, way too small. Haven't seen a 4 MDH, it may do but the 5MDH is a nice bag.
I would be more tempted by this: Hillman Hunter
While not a dedicate camera bag a far more practical and versatile bag.
I use a slightly larger Crumpler messenger bag and am very happy with it. This smaller size wasn't available when I purchased but would be my first choice now. I keep my lenses and flash in some small velvet pouches I had made cheaply in Veitnam. They store easily in the internal pockets.
The bag allows me to carry my iPad, notebook, pens, cards and phone. Hardly notice wearing it and everything is at my finger tips when needed.

shoturtle

I carry the epl-1 with the kit lens mounted. And it also holds my 20 1.7, 45-200, and 35 3.5 with adapter. So it would be a good size for why you have, camera in the center, 14-150 to one side and the flash on the other side. And it will still give you a bit of room if you get another short lens. The 4mdh, will give you no room to add anything. You will get the camera and the zoom in, and you will have to squeezed the flash in it. I was considering it. But it was just to small with anything more then the camera and an addition lens.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
How do youse deal with that top flap?
I had a few bags but the flap never sealed like a Domke.
Is there a trick I don't know. I hate water leaks...

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Mine has 2 huge Velcro patches that keep the thing closed tighter than a clam.:smile:
Also has the 2 straps and buckles at the front for added security. An interesting feature they have is "velcro silencers", hidden tabs that pull out to cover the Velcro patches. Useful when you don't want the attention gathering kkkkrrrrrppppp of a Velcro sealed bag opening.
Water penetration has never been an issue for me, seems to keep everything well protected.
The only caution I would add is that if I turn my bag upside down smaller items will fall out of the main compartment as it doesn't have a zipper.

DownUnderDog

Mu-43 Regular
I just brought a 6 million dollar Crumpler, to replace my 5 million dollar bag. The 6 mdb holds my G1 body, GF1 body 14-45, 45-200 and 20mm lens very nicely. It also has room for my flash and one legacy lens and sundry bits and pieces. This gear wouldn't fit the 5 mdb. I recommend anyone buying a bag getting the size larger than they need so you can expand your gear later. This brings me to the point that I have a pre-loved 5 million dollar brown Crumpler available for sale. Any person interested should send me a PM. I am looking for A$50 plus postage. I will send photos to any person replying.
Cheers
DUD

shoturtle

I have a 6mdh also, that carries my 60D or t1i with a lens, this is my dslr walk around. I can fill allot into it, 3 other lens and a flash.

m1pui

Mu-43 Veteran
I know its not one of your options but, if you're looking for a camera bag and nothing else, I'll throw Jimmy Bo 300 or 500 into the mix. The 500 has been my walk around bag for my last 3 holidays (Hong Kong & NY).

300 fits this in, although I admit it is just on the good side of snug with both the 20mm, 14-45mm & flash in.
IMG_1878.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The 500 will fit this in no problem..
P1010571.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's a Canon 500D, 2 lenses & large flashgun amongst the other bits and bobs.

The Jimmy Bo 500 also has a little velcro flap in the bottom which separates the main compartment into 2 smaller ones. The way I usually carry is have my Canon 50mm lens in the lower compartment then the 500D with 17-70mm lens fitted, and flashgun sit in the upper/main compartment. Fits absolutely perfectly

Have a click through to the album and you'll see what I mean
Jimmy Bo Album

bbq797

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the pics--that's another option. I'll check that one out too!

DownUnderDog

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks guy for the response about the flap...

Dud... List the bag in the classifieds. It will sell fast.
Shooter

Wow thanks Shooter, I am indeed proud to receive a post from the legendary "Street Shooter". I have received a PM already, and am arranging some photos. If this sale doesn't go ahead I'll certainly use classifieds.
Cheers
DUD

lfmerrell

Mu-43 Veteran
Dallas - Fort Worth metroplex, Texas, USA
I use a $11 insulated grammar school lunch bag with a zipper closure
as my E-P2 camera tote. It is insulated and easily carries the camera and attached 14-42 lens along with the 20 mm 1.7 Panny, a spare battery, Olympus view finder, remote release and battery charger. An added plus is it does not shout camera in here. A bonus is an outer pocket to hold a sandwich and a net side pocket as a small drink holder.

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have a 5 mill dollar look-a-like but find that it's too small for my needs. When I go about with my camera I like to carry along a gore-tex-like shell jacket and a bottle of water. Even though the 7 mill dollar is much bigger than the 5, it's still really a decent sized bag. I now either use my 7mill or a Crumpler Soupandsalad messenger bag with an ebay purchased foam insert for my kit. I'll probably be putting the 5 mill up on the classifieds after I've taken some pics of it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom