1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which Sigma Lens?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by wlewisiii, Sep 27, 2013.

1. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I currently have a E-PL1, kit 14-35 mkI, O17/2.8 & two manual focus legacy 50's (1.4 & 2.8).

If I had the money, I'd get the P25/1.4 &/or O45/1.8 but that's not going to happen this year. OTOH, I might be able to scrape up the coin for either the 30 or 60 from Sigma. As a result I thought I'd see what people's thoughts were regarding these two lenses.

Since I live in the boonies these days, I'll be buying online & probably used. So what I'm looking to learn is if anyone considers one or the other better and also how do the sizes of the lenses compare to the kit lens (I presume they're a wee bit bigger than the pancake 17 :wink: )

I learned photography in the day when a 50/1.8 came with the Canon AE-1 and zooms were so much poorer or so very expensive that I'm still not comfortable with them. In the past my preferred kit, especially when shooting rangefinder 35mm's, was either a 28 or 35, a 50 and an 85 ~ 100. I usually had a 135 but that was very much a special purpose only lens.

My shooting tastes run to square format & landscapes, much in b&w. My gallery is linked in my .sig

The other thing to consider is the limitations of my current body. Would I be better served looking for an on sale or a refub'd E-PM2 to gain the benifits of the newer sensor? To be sure an E-PL5 would be better still but the price starts climbing at that point...

So, for the fun of it, lets have a poll!

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I own the Sigma 60mm 2.8 DN and I think it's a good lens. It notches in-between the 45mm/75mm and 2.8 is still decent for light gathering. It will also be useful for those times you want AF in the longer focal ranges. You could probably find a decent 28mm 2.8 lens to adapt if you want that near 30mm focal range. That would be my choice!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    I have both Sigma 30 and 60. I don't use the 60 much and I like the 30 more. So between these two I say SIgma 30. But save up for 45/1,8. That's my favorite lens.

• Like Like x 2
  4. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I have both the Sigma 60/2.8 DN A and 30/2.8 DN A , I like the focal length of the 30mm, but I prefer the sharpness/quality of the 60mm much more, of all the shots I've done lately the 60 consistently appears sharper and smoother than the 30, just kind of wish it would do the same at the 30mm focal length.

Also the 60's AF accuracy seems to be pretty spot on, but with the 30 it seems to have a little trouble like even if I put a 14x box on someone's face it might actually decide to focus on the brick next to him, not sure if it's a combination problem with the 30 + E-P3 or if its just the sigma 30, but it doesn't do it with the 60, or the Oly 17/2.8.

Personally if I had to have something in the 30-45 range (which you kind of already have with the zoom lens), I'd save for the 45/1.8, otherwise the Sigma 60 been great for me especially for the price (it can just be a pain not to have something in between a 17 and 60).

• Like Like x 1
  5. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    By the way just to follow up on what I mean with the 60mm, since I have a picture handy from yesterday.

On my E-P3 with the Sigma 60/2.8 DN A
    1/125 F2.8 ISO 200
    Auto focused - AF Memo shows the tiny green block on the girls' right mouth.

P9276005_960sq.

and a 100% crop, no sharpening other than the "standard" that Adobe's Raw import does.

P9276005_100crop.

Tell me that ain't nice for a sub-$300 lens :p

• Like Like x 4
  6. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I also have the 60mm and I am very impressed! I would say it's more suited to portraits though, I haven't tried the 30mm. Have you considered a used 20mm f /1.7? If you sold the 17mm it should come in around the same price as a used 30mm.

Here's a taster shot with the 60mm on my G6:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-levster/9986864535/" title="_1020534.jpg by the-levster, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="_1020534.jpg"></a>

7. twic

twic Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 15, 2013
    London, UK
    I have the 60 mm. I have never used the 30 mm, so can't comment on that, or make any intelligent comparison between them.

But i can tell you that i absolutely love the 60 mm. It's not the fastest lens in the world (and if you have a 50/1.4 handy, you may feel the lack of speed some times). It's not the sharpest lens in the world. But it is fast enough, and it is sharp enough. And not just "well it's better than the bottom of a milk bottle" enough, i mean "delivers every time" enough. It's a lens which cost me under 200 pounds new and just knocks out hit after hit after hit. Here's what the good people of the Earth are doing with this lens:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma60f28dn/

It's a solid portrait lens. The 50 cm minimum focus distance makes it a credible pseudo-macro (count the flower and arthropod shots in the Flick group!). The modest degree of telephoto and edge-to-edge sharpness lets it pick out interesting details of architectural and landscape scenes. And if you get the silver one, it looks super sweet too.

I'm sorry if i sound like a Sigma astroturfer, but i'm just really fond of this lens! I think the fact that it was so cheap makes me appreciate its performance so highly. I've had nights out more expensive than this lens.

As for bodies, according to DxOmark, on the E-PL1 the lens delivers 9 perceptual megapixels, and on the E-P5 (which is optically the same as the E-PL5, right?), it delivers 10:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Le...43/(camera)/643/(cameraname)/Olympus-PEN-EPL1

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Le...43/(camera)/883/(cameraname)/Olympus-PEN-E-P5

I leave it up to you to decide whether perceptual megapixels are any more than mumbo-jumbo, and whether 10 is sufficiently bigger than 9 to get excited about:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en...r-DxOMark-s-Perceptual-Megapixel-can-help-you

• Like Like x 1
  8. twic

twic Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 15, 2013
    London, UK
    Since we're posting pictures, how about i counterweight the kids with some plants:

9415170396_427c61b202_b.

And some fish:

9476475063_ccea458278_b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you really need/want a standard lens and f2.8 is fast enough then the 30mm is a great option. It is a bit on the long end. Mine has not given me any trouble and produces very nice images.

epcot-trees-small.

Here is one I took at Epcot with the 30mm. As you ca see CA is well controlled with this lens.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    The 60mm is the next lens on my hit list! :smile: